Research Forest Products Technologist
One Gifford pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726
Contact Grant Kirker
- Microbial Community Dynamics of Wood Decay
- Microbial Degradation of Wood Preservatives
- Termite-Fungal Interactions
- Naturally Durable Wood Species
- USDA-ARS Thad Cochran Southern Horticultural Laboratory, Poplarville, MS, Post-Doctoral Research Research Entomologist, 2010
- Mississippi State University, MS, Ph.D. Forest Products, 2008
- Mississippi State University, MS, MS Entomology (minor=Plant Pathology), 2004
- Mississippi State University, MS, BS Agricultural Pest Management, 2001
- American Wood Preservers Association, Member
- Entomological Society of America, Member
- Forest Products Society, Member
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member
- International Research Group on Wood Preservation, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Kirker, Grant T.; Diehl, Susan V.; Prewitt, M. Lynn. 2010. The usual suspects : fingerprinting microbial communities involved in decay of treated southern yellow pine.
Publications & Products
- Lebow, Patricia; Kirker, Grant. 2014. Rate My Stake: Interpretation of Ordinal Stake Ratings.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Clausen, Carol A.; Blodgett, A. B; Lebow, Stan T. 2013. Evaluating Naturally Durable Wood Species for Repair and Rehabilitation of Above-Ground Components of Covered Bridges.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Kirker, Grant; Lebow, Patricia. 2013. Long-Term Durability of Pressure-Treated Wood in a Severe Test Site.
- Kirker, G.T.; Blodgett, A.B.; Arango, R.A.; Lebow, P.K.; Clausen, C.A. 2013. The role of extractives in naturally durable wood species.
- Kirker, G.T.; Blodgett, A.B.; Lebow, S.; Clausen, C.A. 2013. Transferable Durability: Enhancing decay resistance of non-durable species with extractives from durable wood species.
- Kirker, G.T.; Blodgett, A.B.; Lebow, S.T.; Clausen, C.A. 2012. Above Ground Field Evaluation and GC-MS Analysis of Naturally Durable Wood Species.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Prewitt, M. Lynn; Schultz, Tor P.; Dieh, Susan V. 2012. Community analysis of preservative-treated southern pine (Pinus spp.) using terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP) analysis. Part 1: Fungal field study.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Prewitt, M. Lynn; Diehl, Walter J.; Diehl, Susan V. 2012. Community analysis of preservative-treated southern pine (Pinus spp.) using terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP) analysis.
- Lebow, Stan; Kirker, Grant; White, Robert; Amburgey, Terry; Barnes, H. Michael; Sanders, Michael; Morrell, Jeff. 2012. Guide for In-Place Treatment of Covered and Timber Bridges.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Wagner, Terence; Diehl, Susan. 2012. Relationship between wood-inhabiting fungi and Reticulitermes spp.
- Kirker, G.T.; Blodgett, A.B.; Lebow, S.T.; Clausen, C.A. 2011. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis of extractives of naturally durable wood.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Glaeser, Jessie; Lebow, Stan T.; Green III, Frederick; Clausen, Carol A. 2011. Physical deterioration of preservative treated poles and pilings exposed to salt water.
|Natural Wood Durability Studied to Estimate Wood's Performance|
Naturally occurring chemicals in some wood species make them more durable against deterioration