320 Green Street
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Contact Gary Achtemeier
Current research focuses on smoke management and air quality.Asmoke model that follows smoke near the ground at night as it movesover complex terrain under highly divergent wind conditions has been developed.The model, PB-Piedmont, became available in DOS to a "beta set" of users in November 1997.PB-Piedmont, now available inthe Windows-95 operating system, is valid for landforms typical of the piedmont and upper coastal plain of the Southeast and elsewhere in the world.Research to extend the nighttime smoke model to the coastal plain and to link with NWS weather models is underway
Featured Publications & Products
- Sturtevant, Brian; Achtemeier, Gary; Anderson, Dean; Charney, Joseph; Cooke, Barry. 2011. Long-distance dispersal of eastern spruce budworm in Minnesota (USA) via the atmospheric pathway.
- Liu, L.; Achtemeier, G.L.; Goodrick, S.L.; Jackson, W. 2010. Important parameters for smoke plume rise simulation with Daysmoke.
- Liu, Y.; Goodrick, S.; Achtemeier, G. 2009. Smoke incursions into urban areas: simulation of a Georgia prescribed burn.
- Achtemeier, G.L. 2009. On the formation and persistence of superfog in woodland smoke.
- Liu, Yongqiang; Achtemeier, Gary; Goodrick, Scott. 2008. Sensitivity of air quality simulation to smoke plume rise.
Publications & Products
- Sturtevant, Brian R.; Achtemeier, Gary L.; Charney, Joseph J.; Anderson, Dean P.; Cooke, Barry J.; Townsend, Phillip A. 2013. Long-distance dispersal of spruce budworm (Choristoneura fumiferana Clemens) in Minnesota (USA) and Ontario (Canada) via the atmospheric pathway.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2009. On the formation and persistence of superfog in woodland smoke.
- Glitzenstein, Jeff S.; Streng, Donna R.; Achtemeier, Gary L.; Naeher, Luke P.; Wade, Dale D. 2006. Fuels and fire behavior in chipped and unchipped plots: implications for land management near the wildland/urban interface.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2006. Measurement of moisture in smoldering smoke and implications for fog.
- Achtemeier, Gary L.; Glitzenstein, Jeff; Naeher, Luke P. 2006. Measurements of smoke from chipped and unchipped plots.
- Naeher, Luke P.; Achtemeier, Gary L.; Glitzenstein, Jeff S.; Streng, Donna R.; Macintosh, David. 2006. Real-time and time-integrated PM2.5 and CO from prescribed burns in chipped and non-chipped plots: firefighter and community exposure and health implications.
- Achtemeier, Gary L.; Goodrick, Scott; Liu, Yongqiang. 2005. A coupled modeling system for connecting prescribed fire activity data through CMAQ for simulating regional scale air quality.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2005. Planned Burn-Piedmont. A local operational numerical meteorological model for tracking smoke on the ground at night: Model development and sensitivity tests.
- Liu, Yongqiang; Achtemeier, Gary; Goodrick, Scott. 2005. Simulation and Experiment of Air Quality Effects of Prescribed Fires in the Southeast.
- Achtemeier, Gary L.; Naeher, Luke. 2005. Smoke plume behavior - what the data say.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2003. On the origins of "superfog" -a combination of smoke and water vapor that produces zero visibility over roadways.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2003. Recent results from PB-Piedmont - a model to simulate smoke on the ground at night.
- Achtemeier, Gary L.; Goodrick, Scott L.; Liu, Yongqiang. 2003. The southern high-resolution modeling consortium - a source for research and operational collaboration.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2002. "Super-Fog"--A Combination of Smoke and Water Vapor That Produces Zero Visibility over Roadways.
- Stanturf, John A.; Wade, Dale D.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Kennard, Deborah K.; Achtemeier, Gary L. 2002. Fire in southern forest landscapes.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2002. Interface modeling for predicting atmospheric transport of biota.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2001. Simulating nocturnal smoke movement.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 2000. PB-Piedmont: A numerical model for predicting the movement of biological material near the ground at night..
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 1999. Smoke Management: Toward a Data Base to Validate PB-Piedmont - Numerical Simulation of Smoke on the Ground at Night.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 1998. A framework for standardizing flight characteristics for separating biology from meteorology in long-range insect transport.
- Achtemeier, Gary L. 1998. First Remote Measurements Of Smoke On The Ground At Night.
- Achtemeier, Gary L.; Jackson, William; Hawkins, Bernie; Wade, Dale D.; McMahon, Charles K. 1998. The smoke dilemma: a head-on collision!.