60 Nowelo Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Phone: 808-933-8121 x117
Contact Flint Hughes
Impacts of the fast-growing, N-fixing tree, Falcataria moluccana, on the function and structure of early successional lowland wet forests of Hawaii. Results indicate that Falcataria increases inputs of N and P via litterfall, increases rates of decomposition, and increases soil N and P availability relative to uninvaded, native-dominated stands. Such functional changes coincides with substantial alteration of forest structure as well; Falcataria hastens the loss of dominant native species and facilitates the invasion of other non-native species. Such N-fixing trees have the potential to alter nutrient status and cycling of streams and coastal zones in Hawaii and elsewhere in the Pacific. In collaboration with UH and Hawaii Department of Health scientists, we are conducting NOAA-funded research to determine how Falcataria alters stream chemistry and biology in watersheds of East Hawai'i.
Effects Falcataria on densities of the invasive coqui frog. Invasive species also may have impacts across trophic levels. With UHH colleagues we are conducting NSF-funded research on the effects of increased resource availability from Falcataria trees on densities and rates of spread of the coqui frog.
Use of remote sensing to investigate impacts of invasive species on ecosystem processes.We are collaborating with scientists from the Carnegie Institute of Washington and Stanford University to use state-of-the-art remote-sensing tools to quantify ecosystem characteristics (e.g., canopy N and P, forest structure, total aboveground water) and to evaluate the impacts of invasive species at scales from forests to landscapes and regions,
Composition and structure of native lowland wet forests. With UH-PIPES interns we are studying the few remaining stands of native-dominated lowland wet forests in Hawaii to determine how they vary with regard to substrate age and type and how susceptible they are to invasion. Other studies include impacts of woody plant encroachment on C and N storage and cycling in temperate savannas of North Texas, and quantification of aboveground and soil C pools in Costa Rican forests along gradients of temperature, precipitation, and land use.
Ecosystem-scale impacts of invasive species and land cover/land use change, fire ecology,carbon and nutrient storage and cycling, primary and secondary forest succession.
- Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University, Ph.D. , 1997
- Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, M.S. , 1992
- Stanford University, B.A. Department of Human Biology, 1991
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- State of Hawaii's Natural Area Reserve Commission, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Asner, Gregory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Mascaro, Joseph; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Knapp, David E.; Jacobson, James; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Clark, John K . 2011. High-Resolution Carbon Mapping On The Million-Hectare Island Of Hawaii.
- Asner, G. P.; Powell, George V. N.; Mascaro, Joseph; Knapp, David E.; Clark, John K.; Jacobson, James; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Balaji, Aravindh; Paez-Acosta, Guayana; Victoria, Eloy; Secada, Laura; Valqui, Michael; Hughes, R. Flint. 2010. High-Resolution Forest Carbon Stocks And Emissions In The Amazon.
- Asner, G.P.; Hughes, R.F.; Varga, T.A.; Knapp, D.E.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, T. 2009. Environmental And Biotic Controls Over Aboveground Biomass Throughout A Tropical Rainforest.
- Wiegner, Tracy N.; Hughes, Flint; Shizuma, Lisa M.; Bishaw, David K.; Manuel, Mark E. 2013. Impacts Of An Invasive N2-Fixing Tree On Hawaiian Stream Water Quality.
- Mascaro, Joseph; Hughes, Flint; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2012. Novel Forests Maintain Ecosystem Processes After The Decline Of Native Tree Species.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Togia, Tavita P. 2012. Recovery Of Native Forest After Removal Of An Invasive Tree, Falcataria Moluccana, In American Samoa.
- D’Antonio, Carla M.; Hughes, Flint; Tunison, J. T. 2011. Long Term Impacts Of Invasive Grasses And Subsequent Fire In Seasonally Dry Hawaiian Woodlands.
- Mascaro, Joseph; undefined, undefined; Hughes, Flint; Uowolo, Amanda; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2011. Minimizing Bias In Biomass Allometry: Model Selection And Log Transformation Of Data.
- Kauffman, J.B.; Hughes, R.F.; Heider, C. 2009. Carbon Pool And Biomass Dynamics Associated With Deforestation, Land Use, And Agricultural Abandonment In The Neotropics.
- Asner, Gegory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Vitousek, Peter M.; Knapp, David E.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Boardman, Joseph; Martin, Roberta E.; Eastwood, Michael; Green, Robert O. 2008. Invasive Plants Transform The Three-Dimensional Structure Of Rain Forests.
- Asner, Gregory P.; Knapp, David E.; Kennedy-Bodoin, Ty; Jones, Matthew O.; Martin, Roberta E.; Boardman, Joseph; Hughes, Flint. 2008. Invasive Species Detection In Hawaiian Rainforests Using Airborne Imaging Spectroscopy And Lidar.
- Mascaro, Joseph; Becklund, Kristen K.; Hughes, R. Flint; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2008. Limited Native Plant Regeneration In Novel, Exotic-Dominated Forests On Hawaii.
- Zimmerman, Naupaka; Hughes, Flint 1; Hart, Patrick; Kalei Chang, Heather; Perez, David; Kaipoalohaakala Like, Ryan; Ostertag, Rebecca. 2008. Patterns Of Primary Succession Of Native And Introduced Plants In Lowland Wet Forests In Eastern Hawaii.
- Liua, Shuguang; Anderson, Pamela; Zhoud, Guoyi; Kauffman, Boone; Hughes, Flint; Schimel, David; Watson, Vicente; Tosi, Joseph. 2008. Resolving Model Parameter Values From Carbon And Nitrogen Stock Measurements In A Wide Range Of Tropical Mature Forests Using Nonlinear Inversion And Regression Trees.
- Carlson, Kimberly M.; Asner, Gregory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Ostertag, Rebecca; Martin, Roberta E. 2007. Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Of Canopy Biodiversity In Hawaiian Lowland Rainforests.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Archer, Seeven R.; Asner, Gegory P.; Wessman, Carol A.; McMurtry, Chad; Nelson, Jim; Ansley, R. James. 2006. Changes In Aboveground Primary Production And Carbon And Nitrogen Pools Accompanying Woody Plant Encroachment In A Temperate Savanna.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Uowolo, Amanda. 2006. Impacts Of Falcataria Moluccana Invasion On Decomposition In Hawaiian Lowland Wet Forests: The Importance Of Stand-Level Controls.
- Denslow, Julie S.; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2006. Limitations To Seedling Establishment In A Mesic Hawaiian Forest.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Denslow, Julie S. 2005. Invasion By A N2-Fixing Tree Alters Function And Structure In Wet Lowland Forests Of Hawaii.
|Large-Scale High-Resolution Forest Carbon Mapping Approach is Cost-Effective|
Large-scale biomass mapping is essential to support the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) program to Reduce Emissio ...
|Scientists Assess Carbon Storage in Native Versus Non-native Hawaiian Forests|
Forest Service scientists used new and novel techniques based on Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR)to inventory aboveground carbon in native an ...