Francis M. Fujioka
4955 Canyon Crest Drive
Riverside, CA 92507
Contact Francis M. Fujioka
Real-world outcomes can be difficult to predict, says meteorologist Francis Fujioka. My reliance on statistical theory has made me more comfortable working with uncertainties of forecasts. Fujioka's long-time fascination with weather models reflects his drive to optimize predictions that factor into important decisions in fire management.
In collaboration with colleagues, Fujioka established the first long-range fire weather forecasting system from 1987 to 2003 as Project Leader, Fire Meteorology Project, USDA Forest Service Fire Laboratory, Riverside, CA. It was during this tenure that Fujioka began investigating high-resolution weather models for data input into fire-behavior models.
Since 1988, Fujioka has been a technical advisor to the National Fire Danger Working Team on implementation of research findings related to fire weather and fire climatology problems. In addition, Fujioka has worked with the Boise Interagency Fire Center, developing the monthly fire-weather forecasts that are incorporated into national projections of fire severity.
As a principal investigator under the National Fire Plan, Fujioka is one of six scientists funded to establish the Fire Consortia for Advanced Modeling of Meteorology and Smoke (FCAMMS), heading up the research program for California, Nevada, and Hawaii. In a new role, Fujioka is serving on the Committee on Agricultural Meteorology for the United Nations World Meteorological Organization, developing strategies for managing wildfire in developing countries. Fujioka gained forecasting experience by preparing weather forecasts for military operations as a member of the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard in California and Hawaii.
In the future, I plan to extend applications of modeling and remote sensing to fire management operations.
- University of California, Ph.D. Earth Sciences,
- University of Hawaii, M.S. Meteorology,
- Univeristy of California, M.S. Statistics,
- University of Hawaii, B.S. Geosciences,
- American Meteorological Society, Member
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Van Nguyen, Hiep; Chen, Yie-Leng; Fujioka, Francis. 2010. Numerical Simulations Of Island Effects On Airflow And Weather During The Summer Over The Island Of Oahu.
- Roads, J.; Tripp, P.; Juang, H.; Wang, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S. 2010. Ncep-Ecpc Monthly To Seasonal Us Fire Danger Forecasts.
- Dolling, Klaus; Chu, Pao-Shin; Fujioka, Francis. 2009. Natural Variability Of The Keetch-Byram Drought Index In The Hawaiian Islands.
- Fujioka, Francis M.; Gill, A. Malcolm; Viegas, Domingos X.; Wotton, B. Mike. 2009. Fire Danger And Fire Behavior Modeling Systems In Australia, Europe, And North America.
- Fujioka, Francis M. 1976. Fine Fuel Moisture Measured And Estimated In Dead Andropogon Virginicus In Hawaii.
- Benoit, John W.; González-Cabán, Armando; Fujioka, Francis M.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Sanchez, José J. 2013. Spatial Allocation Of Market And Nonmarket Values In Wildland Fire Management: A Case Study.
- Jones, Charles; Fujioka, Francis; Carvalho, Leila M.V. 2010. Forecast Skill Of Synoptic Conditions Associated With Santa Ana Winds In Southern California.
- Benoit, John W.; Fujioka, Francis M.; Weise, David R. 2009. Modeling Fire Behavior On Tropical Islands With High-Resolution Weather Data.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Preisler, Haiganoush; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Roads, John O. 2009. Seasonal Predictions For Wildland Fire Severity.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2008. Wildland Fire Probabilities Estimated From Weather Model-Deduced Monthly Mean Fire Danger Indices.
- Roads, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S.; Burgan, R. 2005. Seasonal Fire Danger Forecasts For The Usa.
- Rosenthal, Anne M.; Fujioka, Francis. 2004. Managing Wildland Fires: Integrating Weather Models Into Fire Projections.
- Fujioka, Francis M. 2002. A New Method For The Analysis Of Fire Spread Modeling Errors.
- Chu, Pao-Shin; Yan, Weiping; Fujioka, Francis. 2002. Fire-Climate Relationships And Long-Lead Seasonal Wildfire Prediction For Hawaii.
- Fujioka, Francis M. 2002. Tribute To Mike Fosberg.
- Roads, John O.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis M. 2001. Ecpc S Weekly To Seasonal Global Forecasts.
- Ueyoshi, Kyozo; Roads, John O.; Fujioka, Francis; Stevens, Duane E. 1996. Numerical Simulation Of The Maui Vortex In The Trade Winds.
- Roads, J.O.; Ueyoshi, K.; Chen, S.C.; Alpert, J.; Fujioka, F. 1991. Medium-Range Fire Weather Forecasts.
- Fujioka, Francis M. 1985. Estimating Wildland Fire Rate Of Spread In A Spatially Nonuniform Environment.
- Burgan, Robert E.; Fujioka, Francis M.; Hirata, George H. 1974. A Fire Danger Rating System For Hawaii.
|High Resolution Weather for Fire Risk Assessment|
High speed computing has opened the door to quantifying fire risk through numerous fire simulations under different weather/vegetation/ignition ...