Faith A. Heinsch
Contact Faith A. Heinsch
My current research at the Fire Lab focuses on fire behavior (especially BehavePlus and the National Fire Danger Rating System) as well as climate change research, education, and outreach.
My primary research interests include the BehavePlus fire modeling system, including technical transfer of software documentation, developing a computerized fire characteristics chart for both fire behavior and fire danger, Fire Behavior, and Fire Danger Rating, particularly as it relates to recent climate change.
My research is important because BehavePlus is used throughout the wildland fire commmunity for estimating fire behavior. It is important that the software provides consistent answers for managers and that managers understand the proper interpretation of results. Recent changes in climate have resulted in increases in fire danger across the western U.S., and I am interested in determining how much of the increase in fire danger results from anthropogenic changes in climate and how much of it on natural climate variability
Why This Research is Important
Past research has included validation of the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) vegetation productivity algorithms (e.g., Gross Primary Production); using the Biome-BGC ecosystem modeling software to estimate carbon balance in a number of ecosystems; and a summary publication outlining the features of the BehavePlus fire modeling system
- University of Alabama. Tuscaloosa, AL, BS Geography/German,
- Oregon State University,Corvallis, OR, MS Atmospheric Sciences,
- Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, Ph.D. Soil Science,
Publications & Products
- Innes, Robin J.; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Lee, Kristine M. 2014. 2013 Annual Report: Fire Modeling Institute.
- Dobrinkova, Nina; Hollingsworth, LaWen; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Dillon, Greg; Dobrinkov, Georgi. 2014. Bulgarian fuel models developed for implementation in FARSITE simulations for test cases in Zlatograd area.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; Innes, Robin J.; Hardy, Colin C.; Lee, Kristine M. 2014. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program: 2013 Research accomplishments.
- Zhao, Maosheng; Running, Steven; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Nemani, Ramakrishna. 2011. MODIS-derived terrestrial primary production [chapter 28].
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; McHugh, Charles W. 2010. Climate change and fire danger rating in the Northern Rockies.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; Andrews, Pat. 2010. Fire characteristics charts for fire behavior and U.S. fire danger rating.