Eini C. Lowell
PNW Research Station
Portland, OR 97205
Contact Eini C. Lowell
My work at the PNW Research Station includes studies on deterioration and uses of dead and dying trees, use of hardwoods, and opportunities tailored to community needs for using small-diameter trees and other woody biomass. I am currently involved in identifying ways to use by-products of forest restoration and fuels reduction treatments to benefit communities and to aid reducing the cost of these management activities. This includes research on value-added product opportunities including extraction of chemicals and production of renewable fuels from wood.
My research interests include affects of forest management on wood quality; rural community resiliency as it relates to forest products, economic development, and forest health; and impacts of natural disturbances on the forest resource.
Prior to joining the PNW Station, my research included biomass assessments for wood energy plants in New England and wood quality of Douglas-fir as affected by silvicultural activities.
- Oregon State University , MS Forest Products Forest Products/Wood Anatomy/Forest Management, 1982
- University of Maine, BS Forestry Forestry/Wood Science and Technology, 1979
- Research Forest Products Technologist, USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station
1990 - Current
- Research Assistant, Oregon State University
1987 - 1989
- Planning and Research Associate, Maine Department of Conservation
1985 - 1986
Marketing and Assessment Program
- Iufro Working Party S5.01-04, Member (1999 - Current)
Attend meetings, present papers and posters
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member (1987 - Current)
Attend annual meetings, present papers and posters
- Forest Products Society, Member (1980 - Current)
Session chair and moderator at numerous International Conventions
Featured Publications & Products
- Linton, J.M.; Barnes, H.M.; Seale, R.D.; Jones, P.D.; Lowell, E.; Hummel, S.S. 2010. Suitability of live and fire-killed small-diameter ponderosa and lodgepole pine trees for manufacturing a new structural wood composite.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Rapp, Valerie A.; Haynes, Richard W.; Cray, Caitlin. 2010. Effects of fire, insect, and pathogen damage on wood quality of dead and dying western conifers.
- Todoroki, C.L.; Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis. 2010. Automated knot detection with visual post-processing of Douglas-fir veneer images.
- Langum, Christopher E.; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini C. 2009. Physical and mechanical properties of young-growth Douglas-fir and western hemlock from western Washington.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Larson, Debra; Lowell, Eini C. 2009. Financial considerations of policy options to enhance biomass utilization for reducing wildfire hazards.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis; McFadden, George. 2009. Effects of bear damage on Douglas-fir lumber recovery.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Rummer, Robert; Larson, Debra; Wadleigh, Linda. 2008. An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the Southwestern United States.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Nechodom, Mark; Barnett, Adam; Mason, Tad; Lowell, Eini C.; Shelly, John; Graham, Dean. 2008. Assessing the role of federal community assistance programs to develop biomass utilization capacity in the Western United States.
Publications & Products
- Lowell, Eini C.; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Porterfield, Betsy S. 2013. A photographic guide to Acacia koa defects.
- Wang, Xiping; Verrill, Steve; Lowell, Eini; Ross, Robert J.; Herian, Vicki L. 2013. Acoustic Sorting Models for Improved Log Segregation.
- Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini C.; Langum, Christopher E. 2012. Characterization of wood strands from young, small-diameter Douglas-fir and western hemlock trees.
- Todoroki, Christine L.; Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis P.; Briggs, David G. 2012. Maps and models of density and stiffness within individual Douglas-fir trees.
- Barbuta, Costel; Blanchet, Pierre; Cloutier, Alain; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini. 2012. OSB as substrate for engineered wood flooring.
- Wiedenbeck, Jan; Lowell, Eini. 2011. An examination of the feasibility of using time-of-flight based non-destructive evaluation to assess the soundness of standing Acacia koa.
- Wang, Xiping; Verrill, Steve; Lowell, Eini; Ross, Robert; Herian, Victoria. 2009. Acoustic sorting models for log segregation.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Todoroki, Christine L.; Thomas, Ed. 2009. Comparing timber and lumber from plantation and natural stands of ponderosa pine.
- Briggs, David G.; Thienel, Gonzalo; Turnblom, Eric C.; Lowell, Eini; Dykstra, Dennis; Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping; Carter, Peter. 2008.
Influence of thinning on acoustic velocity of Douglas-fir trees in western Washington and western Oregon.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Rummer, Robert; Larson, Debra; Wadleigh, Linda. 2008. An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the southwestern United States.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Larson, Debra; Lowell, Eini C.; Rummer, Robert B. 2008. User guide for HCR Estimator 2.0: software to calculate cost and revenue thresholds for harvesting small-diameter ponderosa pine..
- Gorman, Thomas M.; Green, David W.; Cisternas, Aldo G.; Hernandez, Roland; Lowell, Eini C. 2007. Structural lumber from suppressed-growth ponderosa pine from northern Arizona.
- Gorman, Thomas M.; Green, David W.; Cisternas, Aldo G.; Hernandez, Roland; Lowell, Eini C. 2007. Structural lumber from suppressed-growth ponderosa pine from northern Arizona..
- Green, David W.; Lowell, Eini C.; Hernandez, Roland. 2005. Structural lumber from dense stands of small-diameter Douglas-fir trees..
- Monserud, Robert A.; Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Donoghue, Ellen M.; Barbour, R. James; Kilborn, Kenneth A.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joe; Cantrell, Randall A. 2004. Contemporary wood utilization research needs in the Western United States..
- Becker, Dennis R.; Hjerpe, Evan E.; Lowell, Eini C. 2004. Economic assessment of using a mobile Micromill® for processing small-diameter ponderosa pine..
- Lowell, Eini C.; Green, David W. 2000. Lumber recovery from small-diameter ponderosa pine from Flagstaff, Arizona..
- Lowell, Eini C.; Plank, Marlin E. 1997. California Black Oak–From Firewood to Lumber, the Lumber Recovery Story.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Cahill, James M. 1996. Deterioration of fire-killed timber in southern Oregon and northern California..
|Finding Value in Young-Growth Koa Wood|
A demonstration project informs the forest industry in Hawai'i of the quality and uses for young-growth Koa wood