E. Louise Loudermilk
320 Green St
Athens, GA 30602
Contact E. Louise Loudermilk
My research interests include modeling forest ecosystems to better understand processes occuring at multiple scales. This includes interactions at the plant-plant level, stand-level demographics, to landscape successional patterns, with a special interest in spatial and temporal dynamics associated with natural and anthropogenic disturbances. My research includes aspects of forest and fire ecology, fire science, geostatistics, forest management, ecophysiology, and application of remote sensing, including LIDAR.
- University of Florida, PhD Interdisciplinary Ecology, 2010
- University of Florida, MS Forestry, 2005
- University of Florida, BS Animal Science, 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Loudermilk, Louise; Stanton, Alison; Scheller, Robert M.; Dilts, Thomas E.; Weisberg, Peter J.; Skinner, Carl; Yang, Jian. 2014. Effectiveness of fuel treatments for mitigating wildfire risk and sequestering forest carbon: a case study in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
- Cannon, Jeffery B.; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Loudermilk, Louise; Dickinson, Matthew; Peterson, Chris J. 2014. The influence of experimental wind disturbance on forest fuels and fire characteristics.
- Loudermilk, Louise; Scheller, Robert; Weisberg, Peter; Yang, Jian; Dilts, Thomas; Karam, Sarah; Skinner, Carl. 2013. Carbon dynamics in the future forest: the importance of long-term successional legacy and climate–fire interactions.
- Loudermilk, EL; O'Brien, Joseph; Mitchell, RJ; Hiers, JK; Cropper, WP; Grunwald, S; Grego, J; Fernandez, J. 2012. Linking complex forest fuel structure and fire behavior at fine scales.
- Hiers, J. Kevin; O’Brien, Joseph J.; Mitchell, R. J.; Grego, John M.; Loudermilk, E. Louise. 2009. The wildland fuel cell concept: an approach to characterize fine-scale variation in fuels and fire in frequently burned longleaf pine forests.
- Loudermilk, E.L.; Hiers, J.K.; O’Brien, J.J.; Mitchell, R.J.; Singhania, A.; Fernandez, J.C.; Cropper, W.P., Jr..; Slatton, K.C. 2009. Ground-based LIDAR: a novel approach to quantify fine-scale fuelbed characteristics.
Publications & Products
- Loudermilk, E. Louise; Singhania, Abhinav; Fernandez, Juan C.; Hiers, J. Kevin; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Cropper Jr., Wendell P.; Slatton, K. Clint; Mitchell, Robert J. 2007. Application of ground-based LIDAR for fine-scale forest fuel modeling.