Eva C. Karau
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
Contact Eva C. Karau
In my current position with the Fire Modeling Institute, I provide fire and spatial analysis support in response to specific, local to national level resource management requests.
I am generally interested in using remote sensing, simulation modeling and spatial analysis techniques to explore fire and landscape ecology questions.
Research that explores the benefits and limitations of simulation modeling and mapping technologies, combined with efforts to communicate this information to managers is essential to support the fire management decision making process.
Why This Research is Important
My research has involved exploring and utilizing several different ecosystem simulation models to determine appropriate landscape extent, map fire hazard and risk and evaluate the ecological benefits of wildfire. I recently completed a project that compares model and satellite image-based burn severity mapping methods.
- University of Montana, Missoula, BS Geology,
- University of Montana, Missoula, MS Forestry,
Featured Publications & Products
- Keane, Robert E.; Karau, Eva. 2010. Evaluating the ecological benefits of wildfire by integrating fire and ecosystem simulation models.
- Keane, Robert E.; Drury, Stacy A.; Karau, Eva C.; Hessburg, Paul F.; Reynolds, Keith M. 2010. A method for mapping fire hazard and risk across multiple scales and its application in fire management.
- Karau, Eva C.; Keane, Robert E. 2007. Determining landscape extent for succession and disturbance simulation modeling.
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E.; Parsons, Russell; Karau, Eva. 2006. Chapter 5 - Development of biophysical gradient layers for the LANDFIRE Prototype Project.
Publications & Products
- Prichard, Susan J.; Karau, Eva C.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Kennedy, Maureen C.; Cronan, James B.; Wright, Clinton S.; Keane, Robert E. 2014. Evaluation of the CONSUME and FOFEM fuel consumption models in pine and mixed hardwood forests of the eastern United States.
- Karau, Eva C.; Sikkink, Pamela G.; Keane, Robert E.; Dillon, Gregory K. 2014. Integrating satellite imagery with simulation modeling to improve burn severity mapping.
- Miller, Sue; Keane, Robert; Morgan, Penny; Sikkink, Pamela; Karau, Eva; Dillon, Greg. 2013. Seeing red: New tools for mapping and understanding fire severity.
- Karau, Eva C.; Keane, Robert E. 2010. Burn severity mapping using simulation modeling and satellite imagery.