Emily K. Heyerdahl
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
� Fire and forest histories in mixed conifer forests of central Oregon� Western juniper woodland dynamics in central Oregon� Fire regimes & forest structure of Utah & eastern Nevada: A multi-scale history from tree rings� Historical fire regimes in forest fringe of the Willamette Valley, Oregon
My research focuses on inferring the drivers of spatial and temporal variation in fire regimes over the past several centuries using tree rings and modern fire records. These drivers include climate, forest type, topography, and land use. I am also collaborating with other scientists in combining tree-ring fire histories with simulation modeling.
My research impacts both forest management and our understanding of basic forest and fire ecology. The National Fire Plan, the Federal Wildland Fire Management Policy, and the Forest Service's Cohesive Strategy clearly identify the need to restore frequent-fire forests by treating fuel. Knowledge of past fire regimes, how and why they varied across space, and how they affected forest structure and composition provides a basis for prescribing fuel treatments that mimic the effects of past fires, while knowledge of the climate forcing of extreme fire years provides a basis for scheduling such treatments. Spatially explicit reconstructions of fire regimes can be used to identify fundamental properties of those regimes, such as the scaling properties of fire frequency. Knowledge about the drivers of spatial and temporal variation in historical fire regimes is used by other scientists to parameterize, and validate simulation models, for example to predict the effects of climate change on future fire regimes. Anticipating the effects of climate change on future fire requires that we understand the effects of climate variation on past fires using tree rings and also that we bridge the past and the present by identifying the climate drivers of 20th-century fires from written archival records.
Why This Research is Important
� Spatial and temporal varation of historical fires in the Blue Mountains, Oregon� Climate drivers of fire in the Northern Rockies: Past, present and future� Historical mixed-severity fire regimes in British Columbia, Canada� Climatic and human influences on historical fire regimes of Mexico� Fire history of Interior West Sagebrush Woodlands
- Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, BS Geology, 1985
- University of Washington, MS Atmospheric Sciences, 1991
- University of Washington, Ph.D. Forestry, 1997
Featured Publications & Products
- Falk, Donald A.; Heyerdahl, E. K.; Brown, P. M.; Swetnam, T. W.; Sutherland, E. K.; Gedalof, Z.; Yocom, L.; Brown, T. J. 2010. Fire and climate variation in western North America from fire-scar and tree-ring networks.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Morgan, Penelope; Riser, James P., II. 2008. Multi-season climate synchronized historical fires in dry forests (1650-1900), Northern Rockies, USA.
- Morgan, Penelope; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Gibson, Carly E. 2008. Multi-season climate synchronized forest fires throughout the 20th century, Northern Rockies, USA.
- Miller, Richard F.; Heyerdahl, Emily K. 2008. Fine-scale variation of historical fire regimes in sagebrush-steppe and juniper woodland: An example from California, USA.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Morgan, Penelope; Riser, James P., II. 2008. Crossdated fire histories (1650-1900) from ponderosa pine-dominated forests of Idaho and western Montana.
Publications & Products
- Flower, A.; Gavin, D. G.; Heyerdahl, E. K.; Parsons, R. A.; Cohn, G. M. 2014. Drought-triggered western spruce budworm outbreaks in the Interior Pacific Northwest: A multi-century dendrochronological record.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Loehman, Rachel A.; Falk, Donald A. 2014. Mixed-severity fire in lodgepole-dominated forests: Are historical regimes sustainable on Oregon's Pumice Plateau, USA?.
- Morgan, Penelope; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Miller, Carol; Wilson, Aaron M.; Gibson, Carly E. 2014. Northern Rockies pyrogeography: An example of fire atlas utility.
- Cohn, Gregory M.; Parsons, Russell A.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Gavin, Daniel G.; Flower, Aquila. 2014. Simulated western spruce budworm defoliation reduces torching and crowning potential: A sensitivity analysis using a physics-based fire model.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Lertzman, Ken; Wong, Carmen M. 2012. Mixed-severity fire regimes in dry forests of southern interior British Columbia, Canada.
- Dillon, Gregory K.; Holden, Zachery A.; Morgan, Penelope; Crimmins, Michael A.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Luce, Charles H. 2011. Both topography and climate affected forest and woodland burn severity in two regions of the western US, 1984 to 2006.
- Falk, Donald A.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Brown, Peter M.; Farris, Calvin; Fule, Peter Z.; McKenzie, Donald; Swetnam, Thomas W.; Taylor, Alan H.; Van Horne, Megan L. 2011. Multi-scale controls of historical forest-fire regimes: new insights from fire-scar networks.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Brown, Peter M.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2011. Multicentury fire and forest histories at 19 sites in Utah and eastern Nevada.
- Cassell, Brooke A.; Alvarado, Ernesto; Heyerdahl, Emily; Perez-Salicrup, Diego; Jardel-Pelaez, Enrique. 2010. Climate change and fire regimes in the Sierra de Manantlan, Mexico.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; McKenzie, Donald; Daniels, Lori D.; Hessl, Amy E.; Littell, Jeremy S.; Mantua, Nathan J. 2008. Climate drivers of regionally synchronous fires in the inland northwest (1651-1900).
- Brown, Peter M.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2008. Climate effects on historical fires (1630-1900) in Utah.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; McKay, Steven J. 2008. Condition of live fire-scarred ponderosa pine eleven years after removing partial cross-sections.
- Parsons, Russell A.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Keane, Robert E.; Dorner, Brigitte; Fall, Joseph. 2007. Assessing accuracy of point fire intervals across landscapes with simulation modelling.
- Shapiro-Miller, Lauren B.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Morgan, Penelope. 2007. Comparison of fire scars, fire atlases, and satellite data in the northwestern United States.
- Kitzberger, Thomas; Brown, Peter M.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Swetnam, Thomas W.; Veblen, Thomas T. 2007. Contingent Pacific-Atlantic Ocean influence on multicentury wildfire synchrony over western North America.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Lertzman, Ken; Karpuk, Stephen. 2007. Local-scale controls of a low-severity fire regime (1750-1950), southern British Columbia, Canada.
- Gayton, Don V.; Weber, Marc H.; Harrington, Mick; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Sutherland, Elaine K.; Brett, Bob; Hall, Cindy; Hartman, Micahel; Peterson, Liesl; Merrel, Carolynne. 2006. Fire history of a western Montana ponderosa pine grassland: A pilot study.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Miller, Richard F.; Parsons, Russell A. 2006. History of fire and Douglas-fir establishment in a savanna and sagebrush-grassland mosaic, southwestern Montana, USA.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Alvarado, Ernesto. 2003. Influence of climate and land use on historical surface fires in pine-oak forests, Sierra Madre Occidental, Mexico.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; McKay, Steven J. 2001. Condition of live fire-scarred ponderosa pine trees six years after removing partial cross sections.