Technical Information Specialist
Pacific Wildland Fire Sciences Lab, c/o
Corvallis Forestry Sciences Lab
3200 SW Jefferson Way, Corvallis
Contact Ellen Eberhardt
Ellen Eberhardt works within the Fire and Environmental Research Applications Team (FERA) to make information available at all levels, from the local research community to the international fire management community. The research of her team can be found on the FERA website
Ellen Eberhardt's goal is to make fire, fuels, and climate change research knowledge available to a wide audience, while focusing on decisionmakers, land managers, and the international fire research community.
Ellen Eberhardt participates in many research activities of her team, often in different roles for each. She has worked with end users of software, assisted in software development, helped teach various software applications, and reviewed and edited scientific reports and journal articles. Her work covers everything from the local area to the national and international arenas, most often in explaining this research work and its value.
Why This Research is Important
Science knowledge transfer involves a complex series of pathways. Accurately explaining the developing science to a wide variety of interested parties, creating high-quality ways to teach users when and how to use tools and publications, and working on a variety of media at many scales (newsletters, governmental exhibits and fairs, Web sites, etc.) are some ways to help to transfer new research on fire, fuels, and climate change. The transfer of this knowledge is key to improving the ability of land managers and citizens to make decisions informed by the best possible science.
- Portland State University, M.S. Geology Coastal Geomorphology
- Whitman College, B.A. Biology-Geology Combined General
Awards & Recognition
- Excellence in Science Support Award, 2008
From the Pacific Northwest Research Station "for exceptional contributions to the scientific quality and productivity of the Fire and Environmental Research Applications team.
Featured Publications & Products
- Prichard, Susan J.; Sandberg, David V.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Eberhardt, Ellen; Andreu, Anne; Eagle, Paige; Swedin, Kjell. 2013. Fuel Characteristic Classification System Version 3.0: Technical Documentation.
- Peterson, David L.; Evers, Louisa; Gravenmier, Rebecca A.; Eberhardt, Ellen. 2007. A Consumer Guide: Tools To Manage Vegetation And Fuels..