Research Forest Products Technologist
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Daniel Yelle
- Structural elucidation and spatial arrangement of wood and plant cell wall polymers
- Analytical approaches to quantify structural changes to lignin and polysaccharides
- Structural analyses of wood decayed by fungi
- Delineating the reactivity of wood adhesives in the wood cell wall
- Synthesis of wood cell wall model compounds/polymers
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, Ph.D. Forestry/Chemistry, 2009
- University of Maine, Orono, ME, M.S. Wood Science, 2001
- University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN, B.S. Wood Science/Chemistry, 1998
- Forest Products Journal, Associate Editor (2010 - Current)
- The Adhesion Society, Member (2009 - Current)
- American Chemical Society, Member (2005 - Current)
- Forest Products Society, Member (1995 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- GMFAA Technical Employee of the Year Award, 2013
Awarded to an individual whose sustained performance has made the greatest impact in meeting and achieving the goals, mission and overall success of their organization.
- Wood Award, 2009
2nd place winner presented by the Forest Products Society.
- Alan Gent Distinguished Student Paper Award, 2009
2nd place winner presented by The Adhesion Society.
Featured Publications & Products
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Kaparaju, Prasad; Hunt, Christopher G.; Hirth, Kolby; Kim, Hoon; Ralph, John; Felby, Claus. 2012. Two-Dimensional NMR Evidence for Cleavage of Lignin and Xylan Substituents in Wheat Straw Through Hydrothermal Pretreatment and Enzymatic Hydrolysis.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Wei, Dongsheng; Ralph, John; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2011. Multidimensional NMR analysis reveals truncated lignin structures in wood decayed by the brown rot basidiomycete Postia placenta.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Frihart, Charles R. 2008. Characterization of nonderivatized plant cell walls using high-resolution solution-state NMR spectroscopy.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Lu, Fachuang; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2008. Evidence for cleavage of lignin by a brown rot basidiomycete.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Frihart, Charles R. 2011. Delineating pMDI model reactions with loblolly pine via solution-state NMR spectroscopy. Part 1, Catalyzed reactions with wood models and wood polymers.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Frihart, Charles R. 2011. Delineating pMDI model reactions with loblolly pine via solution-state NMR spectroscopy. Part 2, Non-catalyzed reactions with the wood cell wall.
Publications & Products
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Kapich, Alexander N.; Houtman, Carl J.; Lu, Fachuang; Timokhin, Vitaliy I.; Fort Jr., Raymond C.; Ralph, John; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2014. A Highly Diastereoselective Oxidant Contributes to Ligninolysis by the White Rot Basidiomycete Ceriporiopsis subvermispora.
- Cruz, Florentino B. De la; Yelle, Daniel J.; Gracz, Hanna S.; Barlaz, Morton A. 2014. Chemical Changes during Anaerobic Decomposition of Hardwood, Softwood, and Old Newsprint under Mesophilic and Thermophilic Conditions.
- Sathitsuksanoh, Noppadon; Holtman, Kevin M.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Morgan, Trevor; Stavila, Vitalie; Pelton, Jeffrey; Blanch, Harvey; Simmons, Blake A.; George, Anthe. 2014. Lignin fate and characterization during ionic liquid biomass pretreatment for renewable chemicals and fuels production.
- Yelle, Daniel J. 2013. Elucidating How Wood Adhesives Bond to Wood Cell Walls using High-Resolution Solution-State NMR Spectroscopy.
- Jakes, Joseph E.; Gleber, Sophie-Charlotte; Vogt, Stephan; Hunt, Chris G.; Yelle, Dan; Grigsby, Warren; Frihart, Chuck. 2013. New Syncrotron-Based Technique to Map Adhesive Infiltration in Wood Cell Walls.
- Zelinka, Samuel L.; Lambrecht, Michael J.; Glass, Samuel V.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Yelle, Daniel J. 2012. Examination of water phase transitions in Loblolly pine and cell wall components by differential scanning calorimetry.
- Talbot, Jennifer M.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Nowick, James; Treseder, Kathleen K. 2011. Litter decay rates are determined by lignin chemistry.
- Karaaslan, Muzaffer Ahmet; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Buschle-Diller, Gisela. 2011. Nanoreinforced biocompatible hydrogels from wood hemicelluloses and cellulose whiskers.
- Jakes, Joseph E.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Frihart, Charles R. 2011. Tools to Understand Structural Property Relationships for Wood Cell Walls.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Jakes, Joseph E.; Ralph, John; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. Characterizing polymeric methylene diphenyl diisocyanate reactions with wood. 1, High-resolution solution-state NMR spectroscopy.
- Jakes, J.E.; Yelle, D.Y.; Beecher, J.F.; Frihart, C.R.; Stone, D.S. 2010. Characterizing polymeric methylene diphenyl diisocyanate reactions with wood. 2, Nano-indentation.
- Frihart, Charles; Hunt, Christopher; Yelle, Daniel; Jakes, Joseph. 2010. Improved methods for analyzing (bio)chemical interactions with wood.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Jakes, Joseph E.; Ralph, John; Stone, Donald S.; Beecher, James F. 2010. Use of a new methodology to elucidate isocyanate adhesion to wood.
- Yelle, Daniel Joseph. 2009. A solution-state NMR approach to elucidating pMDI-wood bonding mechanisms in loblolly pine.
- Ralph, John; Lu, Fachuang; Kim, Hoon; Ress, Dino; Yelle, Daniel J.; Hammel, Kenneth E.; Ralph, Sally A.; Nanayakkara, Bernadette; Wagner, Armin; Akiyama, Takuya; Schatz, Paul F.; Mansfield, Shawn D.; Terashima, Noritsugu; Boerjan, Wout; Sundberg, Bjorn; Hedenstrom, Mattias. 2009. High-resolution solution-state NMR of unfractionated plant cell walls.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Frihart, Charles R. 2009. Investigating the reactivity of pMDI with wood cell walls using high-resolution solution-state NMR spectroscopy.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Ralph, John; Moon, Robert J.; Stone, Donald S.; Jakes, Joseph E. 2008. Enhanced understanding of the relationship between chemical modification and mechanical properties of wood.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2008. What does moisture-related durability of wood bonds mean?.
|Elucidating Covalent Bond Formation and Cleavage in Wood|
Working with a group at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Biochemistry, FPL researchers have discovered mechanistic details beh ...
|Elucidating Covalent Bond Formation and Cleavage in Wood|
A new technique has been developed to monitor structural changes in the polymers present in wood cell walls. This allows researchers, for exampl ...