Detlev R. Vogler
Research Geneticist - Plants
PSW-Institute of Forest Genetics
Placerville, CA 95667-5107
Contact Detlev R. Vogler
- Elucidating the phylogenetics and evolution of the Cronartium and Peridermium rust fungi that infect pines
- Frequency and evolution of virulence to simply-inherited, hypersensitive resistance to blister rust in sugar pine
- The nature and inheritance of resistance to blister rust in high-elevation white pines
- Demographic and phytopathological studies into the effects and trajectory of blister rust infection in the landscape
- Modes and mechanisms of resistance to western gall rust in radiata pine, Pinus radiata
- Utilizing lab, greenhouse, and field experiments to elucidate the mechanisms and modes of slow-rusting resistance
I am focused upon examination and deployment of the modes, mechanisms, and inheritance of genetic resistance to white pine blister rust in the white pines, Subgenus Strobus.
- University of California, Ph.D. Plant Pathology,
- University of California, M.S. Plant Pathology,
- San Fransisco State University, M.A. Humanities,
- San Fransisco State University, B.A. English Literature,
- Society of American Foresters, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Sniezko, Richard A.; Mahalovich, Mary F.; Schoettle, Anna W.; Vogler, Detlev R. 2011. Past and current investigations of the genetic resistance to cronartium ribicola in high-elevation five-needle pines.
- Sniezko, Richard A.; Schoettle, Anna; Dunlap, Joan; Vogler, Detlev; Conklin, David; Bower, Andrew; Jensen, Chris; Mangold, Rob; Daoust, Doug; Man, Gary. 2011. Ex Situ gene conservation in high elevation white pine species in the United States-a beginning.
- Geils, Brian W.; Vogler, Detlev R. 2011. A natural history of Cronartium ribicola.
- Conklin, D. A.; Fairweather, M; Ryerson, D; Geils, B; Vogler, D. 2009.
White pines, blister rust, and management in the Southwest.
- Vogler, D. R. 2008. The pine-oak rusts: How forest tree species connect.
Publications & Products
- Maloney, Patricia E.; Vogler, Detlev R.; Jensen, Camille E.; Delfino Mix, Annette. 2012. Ecology of whitebark pine populations in relation to white pine blister rust infection in subalpine forests of the Lake Tahoe Basin: Implications for restoration.
- Vogler, Detlev; Harrington, Thomas. 2012. Obituary: Fields W. Cobb Jr. (1932-2011).
- Kinloch, Jr., Bohun B.; Burton, Deems; Davis, Dean A.; Westfall, Robert D.; Dunlap, Joan; Vogler, Detlev. 2012. Strong partial resistance to white pine blister rust in sugar pine.
- Vogler, Detlev R.; Geils, Brian W. 2008. Interactions between western gall rust and its Pinus hosts, P. jeffreyi and P. contorta, in Sierra De San Pedro Martir National Park, Northern Baja California, Mexico.
- Ramsfield, Tod D.; Kriticos, Darren J.; Vogler, Detlev R.; Geils, Brian W. 2007. Western gall rust -- A threat to Pinus radiata in New Zealand.
- Vogler, Detlev R.; Delfino-Mix, Annette; Schoettle, Anna W. 2006. White pine blister rust in high-elevation white pines: Screening for simply-inherited, hypersensitive resistance.
- Scharpf, Robert F.; Smith, Richard S.; Vogler, Detlev. 1988. Management of western dwarf mistletoe in ponderosa and Jeffrey pines in forest recreation areas.
- McDonald, Philip M.; Vogler, Detlev R.; Mayhew, Dennis. 1988. Unusual decline of tanoak sprouts.
- Scharpf, Robert F.; Smith, Richard S.; Vogler, Detlev. 1987. Pruning dwarf mistletoe brooms reduces stress on Jeffrey pines, Cleveland National Forest, California.
- Scharpf, Robert F.; Vogler, Detlev. 1986. Western dwarf mistletoe infects understory Jeffrey pine seedlings on Cleveland National Forest, California.