Duncan C. Lutes
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
I have been involved in the development of the First Order Fire Effects Model, the Fire and Fuels Extension to the Forest Vegetation Simulator, FIREMON, Fuel Loading Models, FFI, and FuelCalc.
My research interests focus on creating tools that assist managers in accomplishing their work. Specifically, I support ecological monitoring programs and simulation point models of fire effects and fuel treatment effectiveness. I work to incorporating new science into models used by managers and continue to look at innovative ways to deliver software and models in a way that is most useful to managers (e.g., the cloud). Finally, I am interested in measuring mapping and modeling fire fuels and transferring the knowledge to managers.
Managers need tools that can help them to qualify and quantify the effects of treatments and other anthropogenic influences (climate change) on the lands they manage. Strict environmental regulations require managers to model/track the potential and/or actual effects of treatments. This is something they have not been entirely successful at because of the disconnect between science and management, because of lack of good modeling and monitoring tools and because land management agencies have not made it a priority.
Why This Research is Important
I've Development of fire effects models such the First Order Fire Effects Model, the Fire and Fuels Extension to the Forest Vegetation Simulator, FuelCalc, Fuel Loading Models, the FIREMON and FFI ecological monitoring software, fuels assessment and mapping, and long term decay/nutrient cycling. In one way or another almost all research has been incorporated into tools managers can use and work with other researchers to also get their science in the hands of managers.
- University of Montana, Missoula, BS Forest Management, 1996
- University of Montana, Missoula, MS Forestry, 1999
Featured Publications & Products
- Sikkink, Pamela G.; Lutes, Duncan C.; Keane, Robert E. 2009. Field guide for identifying fuel loading models.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Benson, Nathan C.; Keifer, MaryBeth; Caratti, John F.; Streetman, S. Austin. 2009. FFI: A software tool for ecological monitoring.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Keane, Robert E.; Caratti, John F. 2009. A surface fuel classification for estimating fire effects.
- Keane, Robert E.; Lutes, Duncan C. 2006. Integrated Sampling Strategy (ISS) Guide.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Keane, Robert E.; Caratti, John F.; Key, Carl H.; Benson, Nathan C. 2006. How To ... Guide.
Publications & Products
- Keane, Robert E.; Dillon, Greg; Drury, Stacy; Innes, Robin; Morgan, Penny; Lutes, Duncan; Prichard, Susan J.; Smith, Jane; Strand, Eva. 2014. New and revised fire effects tools for fire management.
- Keane, Robert E.; Herynk, Jason M.; Toney, Chris; Urbanski, Shawn P.; Lutes, Duncan C.; Ottmar, Roger D. 2013. Evaluating the performance and mapping of three fuel classification systems using Forest Inventory and Analysis surface fuel measurements.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Hardy, Colin C. 2013. Lodgepole pine bole wood density 1 and 11 years after felling in central Montana.
- Lutes, D. C. 2013. Predicted fuel consumption in the Burnup model: sensitivity to four user inputs.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Keifer, MaryBeth; Benson, Nathan C.; Caratti, John F. 2009. FFI: What it is and what it can do for you.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Keane, Robert E.; Caratti, John F.; Key, Carl H.; Benson, Nathan C.; Sutherland, Steve; Gangi, Larry J. 2006. FIREMON: Fire effects monitoring and inventory system.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Keane, Robert E. 2006. Fuel Load (FL).
- Reinhardt, Elizabeth; Lutes, Duncan; Scott, Joe. 2006. FuelCalc: A Method for Estimating Fuel Characteristics.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Robinson, Donald C. E. 2003. Chapter 4: Variant descriptions.