Research Forest Products Technologist
My current research interests include bioenergy applications in Alaska, wood and coal cofiring, international bioenergy policies, life cycle analysis of wood energy systems, community energy management, and forest carbon sequestration.
My past research has focused on marketing underutilized hardwoods in Alaska, consumer preferences for secondary wood products, and character-mark evaluations for Alaskan species.
Why This Research is Important
This research is important because it has broad-ranging implications from community to international scales. Renewable energy issues have become increasingly important in the wake of high energy prices and a desire to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Bioenergy research can play a vital role in finding solutions that enhance both sustainable forest management and community economic development.
- Penn State University, PhD Wood Science and Technology, 1989
- University of Minnesota, MS Forest Products, 1984
- Oregon State University, BS Forest Management, 1982
- Forest Products Technologist, USDA Forest Service, Pacific NW Research Station, Goods Services and Values Program
2000 - 2012
Primary research areas: 1). wood residue and biomass utilization for energy and other products 2). hardwood utilization issues for Alaska’s primary hardwood species 3). wood products marketing and consumer preferences 4). life cycle analysis of bioenergy systems
- Research Coordinator, Warnell School of Forest Resources, University of Georgia
1994 - 2000
Responsibilities included assisting up to three faculty members conducting wood science research in several areas including computer imaging applications, wood-resin utilization, and wood quality.
- Project Manager, Department of Commerce, State of North Carolina
1993 - 1994
Responsible for renewable energy management and project development.
- Project Coordinator- Michigan Wood Energy Demonstration Project, Department of Forestry, Michigan State University
1989 - 1992
Responsible for developing a research program related to wood utilization for energy, and for coordinating wood energy technology transfer activities.
- Society of American Foresters, Member (2005 - Current)
Since 2005 I have attended several conferences in Alaska and nationally, presenting research findings with an emphasis on bioenergy.
- Forest Products Society, Member (1983 - Current)
Since 2000 I have been involved in several working groups, membership committees, and technical interest groups, with a focus on hardwood utilization and marketing.
Featured Publications & Products
- Nicholls, David L.; Monserud, Robert A.; Dykstra, Dennis P. 2008. A synthesis of biomass utilization for bioenergy production in the Western United States..
- Nicholls, D.L.; Monserud, R.; Dykstra, D. 2008. Biomass utilization for bioenergy in the Western United States.
- Nicholls, David; Miles, Tom. 2009. Cordwood energy systems for community heating in Alaska--an overview.
Publications & Products
- Nicholls, David; Patterson, Trista. 2013. Community energy management in Sitka, Alaska: What strategies can help increase energy independence?.
- Meyer, Rachelle S.; Nicholls, David L.; Patterson, Trista M.; White, Rachel E. 2013. Energy efficiency in U.S. Forest Service facilities: a multiregion review.
- Nicholls, David; Zerbe, John. 2012. Cofiring biomass and coal for fossil fuel reduction and other benefits–Status of North American facilities in 2010.
- Nicholls, D.; Bumgardner, M.; Barber, V. 2010. Consumer and manufacturer perceptions of hardwood panels made from character-marked lumber.
- Brackley, Allen; Nicholls, David; Hannan, Mike. 2010. Red alder potential in Alaska.
- Nicholls, David; Barber, Valerie. 2010. Study shows consumers don't mind character marks on wood.
- Brackley, Allen M.; Nicholls, David; Hannan, Michael. 2009. An evaluation of the grades and value of red alder lumber in southeast Alaska.
- Bumgardner, Matthew; David, Nicholls; Barber, Valerie. 2009. Character-marked furniture made from red alder harvested in southeast Alaska: product perspectives from consumers and retailers.
- Bumgardner, Matthew; Nicholls, David; Barber, Valerie. 2009. Character-marked furniture made from red alder harvested in southeast Alaska: product perspectives from consumers and retailers.
- Nicholls, David; Brackley, Allen. 2009. House log drying rates in southeast Alaska for covered and uncovered softwood logs.
- Nicholls, David L.; Funck, J.W.; Brunner, C.C.; Reeb, J.E. 2009. Influence of edging practices on cutting yields of Alaska birch lumber.
- Nicholls, David; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2007. Evaluating selected demographic factors related to consumer preferences for furniture from commercial and from underutilized species..
- Nicholls, David L.; Stiefel, Maria C. 2007. Market opportunities for kitchen cabinets made from Alaska hardwoods: a synthesis and review of recent research..
- Nicholls, David; Roos, Joseph. 2007. Red alder kitchen cabinets—How does application of commercial stains influence customer choice?.
- Nicholls, David L.; Brackley, Allen M.; Rojas, Thomas D. 2006. Alaska's lumber-drying industry—impacts from a federal grant program..
- Roos, Joseph; Nicholls, David L. 2006. Domestic market opportunities for Alaska lumber-species preferences by secondary wood products manufacturers in the continental United States..
- Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2006. Lumber attributes, characteristics, and species preferences as indicated by secondary wood products firms in the continental United States..
- Nicholls, David L.; Patterson, Stephen E.; Uloth, Erin. 2006. Wood and coal cofiring in interior Alaska: utilizing woody biomass from wildland defensible-space fire treatments and other sources..
- Nicholls, David L. 2005. Proceedings: linking healthy forests and communities—successful strategies and future directions..
- Nicholls, David L.; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Roos, Joseph. 2004. Consumer preferences for kitchen cabinets made from red alder: a comparison to other hardwoods..
- Monserud, Robert A.; Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Donoghue, Ellen M.; Barbour, R. James; Kilborn, Kenneth A.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joe; Cantrell, Randall A. 2004. Contemporary wood utilization research needs in the Western United States..
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2004. Sources of product information used by consumers when purchasing kitchen cabinets..
- Nicholls, David L.; Zerbe, John I.; Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Crimp, Peter M. 2004. Use of wood energy for lumber drying and community heating in southeast Alaska.
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L. 2003. Estimating consumer willingness to pay a price premium for Alaska secondary wood products..
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2003. Marketing recommendations for wood products from Alaska birch, red alder, and Alaska yellow-cedar..
- Nicholls, David L.; Brackley, Allen M.; Allen, Travis. 2003. Moisture distributions in western hemlock lumber from trees harvested near Sitka, Alaska..
- Nicholls, David L. 2002. Evaluation of the retail market potential for locally produced paper birch lumber in Alaska..
- Nicholls, David L.; Crimp, Peter M. 2002. Feasibility of using wood wastes to meet local heating requirements of communities in the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska..
- Nicholls, David L.; Kilborn, Kenneth A. 2001. Assessment of the lumber drying industry and current potential for value-added processing in Alaska..