David L. Hawksworth
Wildlife Biological Technician
333 Broadway Southeast
Albuquerque, NM 87102
My current work is mainly on examining the effects of fuels reductions on bird and small mammal populations in the Santa Fe watershed. I also assist station scientists with any projects thety are working on.
I am interested in all aspects of birds and bird biology including migration patterns, distrubution, nesting phenology, and interactions among species.
My current work is important because it will help assist National Forests with planning and conducting fuels reduction projects that will minimize negative effects on wildlife.
Why This Research is Important
I have been involved in a number of projects since joining RMRS including: studying the effects of wildfires and fuel reduction on bird populations in the Rio Grande Valley; habitat use by migrating birds; and nesting behavior of the endangered Southwestern Willow Flycatcher.
- Colorado State University, BA History, 1981
- Colorado State University, BS Wildlife Biology, 1992
Featured Publications & Products
- Smith, D. Max; Finch, Deborah M.; Hawksworth, David L. 2009. Black-chinned hummingbird nest-site selection and nest survival in response to fuel reduction in a southwestern riparian forest.
- Bateman, Heather L.; Chung-MacCoubrey, Alice; Finch, Deborah M.; Snell, Howard L.; Hawksworth, David L. 2008. Impacts of non-native plant removal on vertebrates along the Middle Rio Grande (New Mexico).
- Cartron, Jean-Luc E.; Hawksworth, David L.; Finch, Deborah M. 2008. First records of the Brown Creeper breeding along the middle Rio Grande in central New Mexico.
- Cartron, Jean-Luc E.; Means, Michael D.; Hawksworth, David L.; Finch, Deborah M. 2007. Colonization of the eastern bluebird along the Rio Grande in New Mexico.
- Finch, Deborah M.; Galloway, June; Hawksworth, David. 2006. Monitoring Bird Populations in Relation to Fuel Loads and Fuel Treatments in Riparian Woodlands with Tamarisk and Russian Olive Understories.
Publications & Products
- Cartron, Jean-Luc E.; Finch, Deborah M.; Hawksworth, David L.; Stoleson, Scott H. 2013. Nesting ecology and nest success of the Blue Grosbeak along two rivers in New Mexico.
- Friggens, Megan M.; Finch, Deborah M.; Bagne, Karen E.; Coe, Sharon J.; Hawksworth, David L. 2013. Vulnerability of species to climate change in the Southwest: terrestrial species of the Middle Rio Grande.
- Smith, D. Max; Finch, Deborah M.; Hawksworth, David L. 2012. Nesting characteristics of mourning doves in central New Mexico: Response to riparian forest change.