Daniel J. Isaak
Research Fish Biologist
322 East Front Street, Suite 401
Boise, ID 83702
Understanding effects of climate change on stream habitats and fish communities, Development and implementation of basinscale and regional monitoring programs for bull trout and other aquatic organisms. Development and implementation of basinscale and regional stream temperature models and monitoring protocols . Effects of fire and disturbance on streams. Development of bioclimatic models to predict distributions of trout species to climate scenarios at regional and basinscales.
For more information, please see:
My primary research interest is in understanding how climate change, disturbance, and biophysical interactions across spatial and temporal scales affect population dynamics of aquatic organisms and their habitats in mountain streams.
Climate- Aquatics Blog: This website archives blogs periodically written by the scientist that describe research pertaining to climate change effects on aquatic resources.
Stream Temperature Modeling and Monitoring Website: This website acts as central repository for information pertaining to monitoring and modeling of stream temperatures that the scientist and his collaborators develop.
SSN & STARS: Tools for Spatial Statistical Modeling on Stream Networks: This website hosts freeware statistical software and GIS tools for implementing a new class of spatial statistical models applicable to data measured on stream networks.
NorWest Stream Temperature- Regional Database and Model: This website hosts a comprehensive interagency stream temperature database and high resolution climate scenarios for the Northwest U.S.
Please click here if interested in following on Twitter.
Assessing spatial and temporal variation in demographic and genetic characteristics of Chinook salmon populations in central Idaho. Landscape ecology and relationships between trout abundance and distributions relative to landscape characteristics. Radio telemetry and distributional assessments of northern pikeminnow in the Lower Snake River.
Please see also:
Why This Research is Important
Many natural resources are at risk from human development of natural landscapes and the effects of climate change. My research attempts to provide better understanding and predictive models of stream ecosystems so that managers can respond proactively and more effectively to these threats.
- South Dakota State University, BS Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, 1991
- University of Idaho, MS Fisheries Resources, 1994
- University of Wyoming, Ph.D. Zoology and Physiology, 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Horan, Dona L. 2011. An evaluation of underwater epoxies to permanently install temperature sensors in mountain streams.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Luce, Charles H.; Hamlet, Alan F.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Neville, Helen M. 2010. Macroscale hydrologic modeling of ecologically relevant flow metrics.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Luce, Charles H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Nagel, David E.; Peterson, Erin E.; Horan, Dona L.; Parkes, Sharon; Chandler, Gwynne L. 2010. Effects of climate change and wildfire on stream temperatures and salmonid thermal habitat in a mountain river network.
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel J. 2010. Climate change, aquatic ecosystems, and fishes in the Rocky Mountain West: implications and alternatives for management.
- McKean, Jim; Isaak, Dan; Wright, Wayne. 2009. Improving stream studies with a small-footprint green lidar.
Publications & Products
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Peterson, Erin E.; Ver Hoef, Jay M.; Wenger, Seth J.; Falke, Jeffrey A.; Torgersen, Christian E.; Sowder, Colin; Steel, E. Ashley; Fortin, Marie-Josee; Jordan, Chris E.; Ruesch, Aaron S.; Som, Nicholas; Monestiez, Pascal. 2014. Applications of spatial statistical network models to stream data.
- Stamp, Jen; Hamilton, Anna; Craddock, Michelle; Parker, Laila; Roy, Allison H.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Holden, Zach; Passmore, Margaret; Bierwagen, Britta G. 2014. Best practices for continuous monitoring of temperature and flow in wadeable streams.
- Isaak, Daniel J. 2014. Climate change and the future of freshwater fisheries.
- Holsinger, Lisa; Keane, Robert E.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Eby, Lisa; Young, Michael K. 2014. Relative effects of climate change and wildfires on stream temperatures: A simulation modeling approach in a Rocky Mountain watershed.
- Luce, Charles; Staab, Brian; Kramer, Marc; Wenger, Seth; Isaak, Dan; McConnell, Callie. 2014. Sensitivity of summer stream temperatures to climate variability in the Pacific Northwest.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Horan, Dona L.; Wollrab, Sherry P. 2013. A simple protocol using underwater epoxy to install annual temperature monitoring sites in rivers and streams.
- Peterson, Douglas P.; Wenger, Seth J.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel J. 2013. Linking climate change and fish conservation efforts using spatially explicit decision support tools.
- Peterson, Erin E.; Ver Hoef, Jay M.; Isaak, Dan J.; Falke, Jeffrey A.; Fortin, Marie-Josee; Jordan, Chris E.; McNyset, Kristina; Monestiez, Pascal; Ruesch, Aaron S.; Sengupta, Aritra; Som, Nicholas; Steel, E. Ashley; Theobald, David M.; Torgersen, Christian E.; Wenger, Seth J. 2013. Modelling dendritic ecological networks in space: An integrated network perspective.
- Goode, Jaime R.; Buffington, John M.; Tonina, Daniele; Isaak, Daniel J.; Thurow, Russell F.; Wenger, Seth; Nagel, David; Luce, Charlie; Tetzlaff, Doerthe; Soulsby, Chris. 2013. Potential effects of climate change on streambed scour and risks to salmonid survival in snow-dominated mountain basins.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Som, Nicholas A.; Dauwalter, Daniel C.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Neville, Helen M.; Luce, Charles H.; Dunham, Jason B.; Young, Michael K.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2013. Probabilistic accounting of uncertainty in forecasts of species distributions under climate change.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2013. Stream isotherm shifts from climate change and implications for distributions of ectothermic organisms.
- Luce, Charles; Morgan, Penny; Dwire, Kathleen; Isaak, Daniel; Holden, Zachary; Rieman, Bruce. 2012. Climate change, forests, fire, water, and fish: Building resilient landscapes, streams, and managers.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Muhlfeld, Clint C.; Todd, Andrew S.; Al-Chokhachy, Robert; Roberts, James; Kershner, Jeffrey L.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Hostetler, Steven W. 2012. The past as prelude to the future for understanding 21st-Century climate effects on Rocky Mountain trout.
- Isaak, D. J.; Wollrab, S.; Horan, D.; Chandler, G. 2011. Climate change effects on stream and river temperatures across the northwest U.S. from 1980-2009 and implications for salmonid fishes.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Luce, Charlie; Neville, Helen M.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Dunham, Jason B.; Dauwalter, Daniel C.; Young, Michael K.; Elsner, Marketa M.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Hamlet, Alan F.; Williams, Jack E. 2011. Flow regime, temperature, and biotic interactions drive differential declines of trout species under climate change [includes Supporting Information].
- Wenger, Seth J.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Dunham, Jason B.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Luce, Charlie; Neville, Helen M.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Young, Michael K.; Nagel, David E.; Horan, Dona L.; Chandler, Gwynne L. 2011. Role of climate and invasive species in structuring trout distributions in the interior Columbia River Basin, USA.
- Isaak, Daniel J. 2011. Stream temperature monitoring and modeling: Recent advances and new tools for managers.
- Courbois, Jean-Yves; Katz, Stephen L.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Steel, E. Ashley; Thurow, Russell F.; Rub, A. Michelle Wargo; Olsen, Tony; Jordan, Chris E. 2008. Evaluating probability sampling strategies for estimating redd counts: an example with Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha).
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel; Adams, Susan; Horan, Dona; Nagel, David; Luce, Charles; Myers, Deborah. 2007. Anticipated climate warming effects on bull trout habitats and populations across the interior Columbia River basin.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Thurow, Russell F.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Dunham, Jason B. 2007. Chinook salmon use of spawning patches: Relative roles of habitat quality, size, and connectivity.
- Neville, Helen; Isaak, Daniel; Thurow, Russell; Dunham, Jason; Rieman, Bruce. 2007. Microsatellite variation reveals weak genetic structure and retention of genetic variability in threatened Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytcha) within a Snake River watershed.
- Neville, H. M.; Isaak, D. J.; Dunham, J. B.; Thurow, R. F.; Rieman, B. E. 2006. Fine-scale natal homing and localized movement as shaped by sex and spawning habitat in Chinook salmon: Insights from spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual genotypes.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Thurow, Russell F. 2006. Network-scale spatial and temporal variation in Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) redd distributions: patterns inferred from spatially continuous replicate surveys.
- Isaak, D. J.; Thurow, R. F.; Rieman, B. E.; Dunham, J. B. 2003. Temporal variation in synchrony among chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) redd counts from a wilderness area in central Idaho.
|New Class of Statistical Model Developed for Stream Networks|
Researchers and their cooperators developed a new class of statistical model for stream networks that applies to most types of stream data and p ...