322 East Front Street, Suite 401
Boise, ID 83702
Contact Dona Horan
- Helping to develop basinscale stream temperature models using ArcGIS and spatial statistical models - Developing documentation to assist resource managers to create stream temperature statistical models in their management areas - Creating a regional network of ongoing, annual temperature monitoring sites - Developing simple, cost-effective methods for deploying long-term stream temperature loggers
I am interested in studying the factors that influence fish distribution and persistence. I am curious about the effects of climate change on fish movement and habitat quality, and how the models we're currently developing will reflect what happens in the region's streams over the next few decades. I enjoy helping and supporting resource managers in their development of long-term temperature monitoring networks and stream temperature models.
Fish biology and behavior, as well as the study of habitat quality, are very complex issues. While many attributes have been studied in an attempt to define high-quality fish habitat, stream temperature may be one of the biggest factors influencing their survival.
Why This Research is Important
Studied fish migration using otolith microchemistryStudied effects of fire on fish abundance and distribution
- University of California, Berkeley, BS Wildlife Management, 1992
- Utah State University, MS Fisheries Management, 1996
Featured Publications & Products
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Horan, Dona L. 2011. An evaluation of underwater epoxies to permanently install temperature sensors in mountain streams.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Luce, Charles H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Nagel, David E.; Peterson, Erin E.; Horan, Dona L.; Parkes, Sharon; Chandler, Gwynne L. 2010. Effects of climate change and wildfire on stream temperatures and salmonid thermal habitat in a mountain river network.
- Isaak, Dan; Rieman, Bruce; Horan, Dona. 2009. A watershed-scale monitoring protocol for bull trout.
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel; Adams, Susan; Horan, Dona; Nagel, David; Luce, Charles; Myers, Deborah. 2007. Anticipated climate warming effects on bull trout habitats and populations across the interior Columbia River basin.
- Downs, Christopher C.; Horan, Dona; Morgan-Harris, Erin; Jakubowski, Robert. 2006. Spawning demographics and juvenile dispersal of an adfluvial bull trout population in Trestle Creek, Idaho.
Publications & Products
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Young, Michael K.; Nagel, David E.; Horan, Dona L.; Groce, Matthew C. 2015. The cold-water climate shield: Delineating refugia for preserving salmonid fishes through the 21st century.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Young, Michael K.; Nagel, David; Horan, Dona. 2014. Cold water as a climate shield to preserve native trout through the 21st Century.
- Peterson, Douglas P.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Horan, Dona L.; Young, Michael K. 2014. Patch size but not short-term isolation influences occurrence of westslope cutthroat trout above human-made barriers.
- Isaak, Daniel J.; Horan, Dona L.; Wollrab, Sherry P. 2013. A simple protocol using underwater epoxy to install annual temperature monitoring sites in rivers and streams.
- Isaak, D. J.; Wollrab, S.; Horan, D.; Chandler, G. 2011. Climate change effects on stream and river temperatures across the northwest U.S. from 1980-2009 and implications for salmonid fishes.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Dunham, Jason B.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Luce, Charlie; Neville, Helen M.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Young, Michael K.; Nagel, David E.; Horan, Dona L.; Chandler, Gwynne L. 2011. Role of climate and invasive species in structuring trout distributions in the interior Columbia River Basin, USA.