David E. Hall
1221 South Main Street
Contact David E. Hall
I am the primary programmer creating the various online FS WEPP interfaces to the WEPP (soil erosion and sediment transport) computer program.
Online interfaces to physically-based models
It is important to fisheries, drinking water sources, and other interests to keep the soil on the hillslopes and not have it overload streams. Modeling the effects on sediment delivery and other environmental factors from such activities and situations as roads, fires, and harvesting can assist in reducing deleterious effects on the environment. Having the models run on line allows access to all to the same modeling power.
Why This Research is Important
In past years, I worked primarily in developing slope stability simulation computer models and was one of three coordinators in developing the three-volume Slope Stability Reference Guide for National Forests in the United States. I have been involved in programming all three levels of analysis: Level I--LISA (Level I Stability Analysis) and DLISA,Level II--SARA (Stability Analysis for Road Access) and DSARA, and Level III--STABL3FW (the technology of which went into XSTABL).Hall, D.E.; Long, M.T.; Remboldt, M.D., editors. 1994. Slope Stability Reference Guide for National Forests in the United States. Publication EM-7170-13. U.S.F.S. Engineering Staff. 3 volumes, 1091 p.
- University of Idaho, Computer Science, Mathematics ,
- University of Idaho, Computer Science , 1992
Featured Publications & Products
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Crookston, Nicholas L.; Evans, Jeffrey S.; hall, David E.; Falkowski, Michael J. 2009. Corrigendum To "Nearest Neighbor Imputation Of Species-Level, Plot-Scale Forest Structure Attributes From Lidar Data".
- Robichaud, P. R.; Elliot, W. J.; Pierson, F. B.; Hall, D. E.; Moffet, C. A. 2009. A Probabilistic Approach To Modeling Postfire Erosion After The 2009 Australian Bushfires.
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Crookston, Nicholas L.; Evans, Jeffrey S.; Hall, David E.; Falkowski, Michael J. 2008. Nearest Neighbor Imputation Of Species-Level, Plot-Scale Forest Structure Attributes From Lidar Data.
- Elliot, William; Miller, Ina Sue; Hall, David. 2007. Wepp Fume Analysis For A North Idaho Site.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Elliot, William J.; Pierson, Fredrick B.; Hall, David E.; Moffet, Corey A.; Ashmun, Louise E. 2007. Erosion Risk Management Tool (Ermit) User Manual (Version 2006.01.18).
- Elliot, William; Hall, David. 2005. Fuels Planning: Science Synthesis And Integration; Environmental Consequences Fact Sheet 12: Water Erosion Prediction Project (Wepp) Fuel Management (Fume) Tool.
- McDonald, Geral I.; Tanimoto, Philip D.; Rice, Thomas M.; Hall, David E.; Stewart, Jane E.; Zambino, Paul J.; Tonn, Jonalea R.; Klopfenstein, Ned B.; Kim, Mee-Sook. 2005. Fuels Planning: Science Synthesis And Integration; Environmental Consequences Fact Sheet 13: Root Disease Analyzer-Armillaria Response Tool (Art).
- Elliot, William J.; Ballerini, Mark; Hall, David. 2003. Simplified Methods For Evaluating Road Prism Stability.
- Elliot, William J.; Hall, David E.; Graves, S. R. 1998. X-Drain And Xds: A Simplified Road Erosion Prediction Method.
- Parks, Peter J.; Hall, David O.; Kristrom, Bengt; Masera, Omar R.; Multon, Robert J.; Plantinga, Andrew J.; Swisher, Joel N.; Winjum, Jack K. 1997. An Economic Approach To Planting Trees For Carbon Storage.