Dave E Calkin
800 East Beckwith Avenue
Missoula, MT 59801
Contact Dave E Calkin
My research broadly focuses on economic aspects of wildland fire and fuels management with specific research interests including: 1) wildland fire risk assessment, 2) identification of values-at-risk to wildland fire, 3) decision support system development, 4) performance measurement of wildland fire suppression, 5) modeling and forecasting of wildfire suppression costs, and 6) social and managerial tradeoffs among resources affected by fire management
My research interest are in exploring opportunities where economic tools can be brought to bear to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of wiland fire management programs and incident decision making.
Currently fire mangement represents approximately 45 percent of the USFS budget and significantly impacts the Agency's ability to meet its core goal of caring for the land and the people. A number of challenges restrict our ability to assure that fire management investments are economically justified. Risk assessment tools present opportunities to consistently measure the current effectiveness of fire management activities and economic analysis can inform appropriate investment structures to protect both developed and highly valued natural resources.
Why This Research is Important
1. Developed the Rapid Assessment of Values At Risk (RAVAR) model, the economic impact module of the Wildland Fire Decision Support System WFDSS. 2. Authored and co-authored several papers reviewing factors influencing fire and fuels mangement costs. 3. Primary Investigator of a study that resulted in the development of valuation tools for Burned Area Emergency Response teams. 4. Investigated issues associated with the cost and efficiency of biomass utilization and associated carbon impacts.
- University of Virginia, BS Applied Mathematics, 1988
- University of Montana, MS Natural Resource Conservation, 1994
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Economics, 2000
Featured Publications & Products
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Finney, Mark A.; Ager, Alan A.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W. 2011. Integrated national-scale assessment of wildfire risk to human and ecological values.
- Calkin, David E.; Rieck, Jon D.; Hyde, Kevin D.; Kaiden, Jeffrey D. 2011. Built structure identification in wildland fire decision support.
- Calkin, David E.; Ager, Alan A.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie. 2010. Wildfire risk and hazard: procedures for the first approximation.
- Stetler, Kyle M.; Venn, Tyron J.; Calkin, David E. 2010. The effects of wildfire and environmental amenities on property values in northwest Montana, USA.
- Jones, Greg; Loeffler, Dan; Calkin, David; Chung, Woodam. 2010. Forest treatment residues for thermal energy compared with disposal by onsite burning: Emissions and energy return.
Publications & Products
- Haas, Jessica R.; Calkin, David E.; Thompson, Matthew P. 2013. A national approach for integrating wildfire simulation modeling into Wildland Urban Interface risk assessments within the United States.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Finney, Mark A.; Gebert, Krista M.; Hand, Michael S. 2013. A risk-based approach to wildland fire budgetary planning.
- Scott, Joe H.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E. 2013. A wildfire risk assessment framework for land and resource management.
- Houtman, Rachel M.; Montgomery, Claire A.; Gagnon, Aaron R.; Calkin, David E.; Dietterich, Thomas G.; McGregor, Sean; Crowley, Mark. 2013. Allowing a wildfire to burn: estimating the effect on future fire suppression costs.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Calkin, David E. 2013. Econometric analysis of fire suppression production functions for large wildland fires.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Scott, Joe; Helmbrecht, Don; Calkin, Dave E. 2013. Integrated wildfire risk assessment: Framework development and application on the Lewis and Clark National Forest in Montana, USA.
- Hyde, Kevin; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bohrer, Gil; Calkin, David; Evers, Louisa; Gilbertson-Day, Julie; Nicolet, Tessa; Ryan, Kevin; Tague, Christina. 2013. Research and development supporting risk-based wildfire effects prediction for fuels and fire management: Status and needs.
- Wibbenmeyer, Matthew J.; Hand, Michael S.; Calkin, David E.; Venn, Tyron J.; Thompson, Matthew P. 2013. Risk preferences in strategic wildfire decision making: A choice experiment with U.S. wildfire managers.
- Chung, Woodam; Venn, Tyron J.; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; Han, Han-Sup; Calkin, Dave E. 2012. Assessing the potential for log sort yards to improve financial viability of forest restoration treatments.
- Calkin, David E.; Venn, Tyron; Wibbenmeyer, Matthew; Thompson, Matthew P. 2012. Estimating US federal wildland fire managers' preferences toward competing strategic suppression objectives.
- Graham, Russell; Finney, Mark; McHugh, Chuck; Cohen, Jack; Calkin, Dave; Stratton, Rick; Bradshaw, Larry; Nikolov, Ned. 2012. Fourmile Canyon Fire Findings.
- Wibbenmeyer, Matthew; Hand, Michael; Calkin, David. 2012. Preliminary results from a survey of U.S. Forest Service wildfire managers' attitudes toward aviation personnel exposure and risk.
- Scott, Joe; Helmbrecht, Don; Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Marcille, Kate. 2012. Probabilistic assessment of wildfire hazard and municipal watershed exposure.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Ager, Alan A.; Finney, Mark A.; Calkin, Dave E.; Vaillant, Nicole M. 2012. The science and opportunity of wildfire risk assessment (Chapter 6).
- Calkin, Dave; Ager, Alan A.; Thompson, Matthew. 2011. A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: the 2010 cohesive strategy science report.
- Calkin, David E.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Finney, Mark A.; Hyde, Kevin D. 2011. A real-time risk assessment tool supporting wildland fire decisionmaking.
- Venn, Tyron J.; Calkin, David E. 2011. Accommodating non-market values in evaluation of wildfire management in the United States: Challenges and opportunities.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, David E.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie W.; Ager, Alan A. 2011. Advancing effects analysis for integrated, large-scale wildfire risk assessment.
- Noonan-Wright, Erin; Opperman, Tonja S.; Finney, Mark A.; Zimmerman, Tom; Seli, Robert C.; Elenz, Lisa M.; Calkin, David E.; Fiedler, John R. 2011. Developing the U.S. Wildland Fire Decision Support System.
- Han, Han-Sup; Bilek, E. M. (Ted); Dramm, John (Rusty); Loeffler, Dan; Calkin, Dave. 2011. Financial feasibility of a log sort yard handling small-diameter logs: A preliminary study.
- Calkin, David C.; Finney, Mark A.; Ager, Alan A.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Gebert, Krista M. 2011. Progress towards and barriers to implementation of a risk framework for US federal wildland fire policy and decision making.
- Calkin, Dave; Phipps, John; Holmes, Tom; Rieck, Jon; Thompson, Matt. 2011. The Exposure Index: Developing firefighter safety performance measures.
- Lai, Katherine J.; Gomes, Carla P.; Schwartz, Michael K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Calkin, David E.; Montgomery, Claire A. 2011. The Steiner Multigraph Problem: Wildlife corridor design for multiple species.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Calkin, Dave E. 2011. Uncertainty and risk in wildland fire management: A review.
- Calkin, Dave; Thompson, Matthew P.; Ager, Alan A.; Finney, Mark. 2010. Barriers to implementation of risk management for federal wildland fire management agencies in the United States.
- Venn, Tyron J.; Calkin, David E. 2009. Challenges of socio-economically evaluating wildfire management on non-industrial private and public forestland in the western United States.
- Calkin, David; Gebert, Krista. 2009. Economics of wildland fire management.
- Han, Han-Sup; Bilek, Ted; Dramm, Rusty; Loeffler, Dan; Calkin, David. 2009. Financial feasibility of a log sort yard handling small-diameter logs.
- Liang, Jingjing; Calkin, Dave E.; Gebert, Krista M.; Venn, Tyron J.; Silverstein, Robin P. 2008. Factors influencing large wildland fire suppression expenditures.
- Silverstein, Robin P.; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, J. Greg; Calkin, Dave E.; Zuuring, Hans R.; Twer, Martin. 2006. Biomass utilization modeling on the Bitterroot National Forest.
|Assessing wildfire risk to communities and natural and cultural resources|
Station scientists affiliated with the National Fire Decision Support Center are working closely with the Agency's Western and Eastern Threat Ce ...