Deborah S. Page-Dumroese
Research Soil Scientist
1221 South Main Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact Deborah S. Page-Dumroese
My current research involves the following, self-described studies: The North American Long-Term Productivity Study which uses a common experimental design in major forest types across North America. This study involves intensive pre- and post-harvest sampling and a commitment to ensure long-term data collection set this study apart from many local/regional studies. I have the only three installations of the LTSP study in RMRS, many of which are approaching 20 years old. The experimental design is a 3x3 factorial of soil compaction and organic matter removal and I would welcome other researchers to use these plots.
Below ground processes: Organic matter is the key to site productivity because of its roles in nutrient cycling, soil water availability, disease incidence or preventation, and aggregate stability. Organic matter decomposition is controlled by the same soil factors that affect plant growth - waterm, nutrients, pH, and temperature. A number of studies have shown a strong relationship between organic matter decomposition rates and site productivity. Forest management proctices can greatly impact organic matter decomposition, which could affect tree growth and site productivity. Consequently, organic matter decomposition is being used as an index of forest management effects (both positive and negative) in long-term soil productivity studies being conducted in various parts of North America and Canada. In addition, projected climate change scenarios would also have a pronounced effect on soil organic matter decomposition rates. I use standard wood stakes (P. taeda and P. tremuloides) to determine how management, (site preparation, fire fertilization, etc.), temperature, and moisture may impact below ground processes (organic matter decomposition) in many different soil types. I have a worldwide network of sites in various ecosystems. Ancillary studies on these sites include the importance of ants and termites and how they redistribute OM, C, N, and other nutrients above- and below-ground.
Soil Disturbance Monitoring: In cooperation with several other Reserach Stations, National Forest Systems, industry, and B.c. Ministry of Forest Soil Scientists I developed a Forest Soil Disturbance Monitoring Protocol that is being used across the U.S. and in other countries on forested landscapes. The new protocol defines consistent terminology, is statistically valid, and provides a common method for describing soil disturbance from management activities.
Environmental consequesnces of biomass utilization and biochar additions: We are determining the feasibility of using in-woods fast pyrolysis to turn excess forest biomass into bio-oil, syn-gas, and biochar. Biochar can be applied to forest sites to improve water holding capacity and reducing nutrient leaching through the mineral soil profile. My work also evlaauates biochar-coated seed, pelleted biochar, and methods of applying char to forest sites.
My research interests center around maintaining soil productivity during and after land management activities and include the following: carbon sequestration, harvest methods, site preparation, and fire impacts on soil chemical, biological, and physical properties. I also study biochar impacts, biomass utilization, nutrient cycling, long-term productivity, organic matter, and how temperature and moisture regulate decomposition processes.
Past research has focused on long-term soil productivity, maintenance of surface organic matter, and ensuring healthy ecosystems that are resilient to fire, insects, and disease.
Why This Research is Important
Understanding the linkages between harvesting, soil quality, organic matter, and decomposition are important for knowing what managment options are possible for different ecosystems. Improving stand resilitency to fire, insects, disease, and drought will help maintain soil and site productivity as climate changes.
- Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI, BS Natural Resource Management, 1982
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MS Forest Soils, 1985
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Ph.D. Forest Soils, 1988
- Supervisory Research Soil Scientist, Rocky Mountain Research Station
2007 - 2012
- Supervisory Research Soil Scientist/Project Leader, Rocky Mountain Research Station
1999 - 2005
- Research Soil Scientist/Project Leader, Rocky Mountain Research Station and Intermountain Research Station
1988 - 2005
- European Geophysical Union, Member (2005 - Current)
same as committee membership
- North American Forest Soils, 2013 Site Host (1988 - Current)
Site host and coordinator.
- Society of American Foresters, Member (1988 - Current)
Local and national committee chair. Serve as assistant editor of Forest Science.
- Soil Science Society of America, Peer Reviewer (1988 - Current)
Review papers, judge student presentations at meeting
Awards & Recognition
- Bridge Building Award from the University of Idaho, 2009
Awarded for fostering collaboration between the Forest Service and University of Idaho faculty, staff, and students.
- Student Paper Award, 2009
Best student paper award at the 6th International BIOGEOMON meeting in Helsinki, Finland. This paper was co-authored by Sven Wirthner.
- Rise to the Future Award, 2008
Awarded by National Forest Systems. Recognized my contributions to soil monitoring as the National Field Soil Scientist
- Extra Effort Award, 2008
For superior assistance and participation in the soil Network (SoilNet) charter and the Northern Region Soil Disturbance Monitoring Protocol.
Featured Publications & Products
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Abbott, Ann M.; Rice, Thomas M. 2009. Forest Soil Disturbance Monitoring Protocol: Volume II: Supplementary methods, statistics, and data collection.
- Kimsey, Mark, Jr..; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Coleman, Mark. 2011. Assessing bioenergy harvest risks: Geospatially explicit tools for maintaining soil productivity in western US forests.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Jurgensen, Martin; Terry, Thomas. 2010. Maintaining soil productivity during forest or biomass-to-energy thinning harvests in the western United States.
- Wirthner, Sven; Schutz, Martin; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Busse, Matt D.; Kirchner, James W.; Risch, Anita C. 2012. Do changes in soil properties after rooting by wild boars (Sus scrofa) affect understory vegetation in Swiss hardwood forests?.
- Sanchez, Felipe G.; Tiarks, Allan E.; Kranabetter, J. Marty; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Powers, Robert F.; Sanborn, Paul T.; Chapman, William K. 2006. Effects of organic matter removal and soil compaction on fifth-year mineral soil carbon and nitrogen contents for sites across the United States and Canada.
Publications & Products
- Rhee, Hakjun; Foltz, Randy B.; Fridley, James L.; Krogstad, Finn; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2014. An alternative method for determining particle-size distribution of forest road aggregate and soil with large-sized particles.
- Haynes, Alan G.; Schutz, Martin; Buchmann, Nina; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Busse, Matt D.; Risch, Anita C. 2014. Linkages between grazing history and herbivore exclusion on decomposition rates in mineral soils of subalpine grasslands.
- Potvin, Lynette R.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Richter, Dana L.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2014. Mosaic stunting in bareroot Pinus banksiana seedlings is unrelated to colonization by mycorrhizal fungi.
- Berryman, Erin M.; Morgan, Penelope; Robichaud, Peter R.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2014. Post-fire erosion control mulches alter belowground processes and nitrate reductase activity of a perennial forb, heartleaf arnica (Arnica cordifolia).
- Anderson, Nathaniel; Jones, J. Greg; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; McCollum, Daniel; Baker, Stephen; Loeffler, Daniel; Chung, Woodam. 2013. A comparison of producer gas, biochar, and activated carbon from two distributed scale thermochemical conversion systems used to process forest biomass.
- Reeves, Derrick A.; Coleman, Mark D.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2013. Evidence supporting the need for a common soil monitoring protocol.
- Cerise, Luke M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; McDaniel, Paul; Mayn, Cole; Heinse, Robert. 2013. Productivity and soil properties 45 years after timber harvest and mechanical site preparation in western Montana.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Abbott, Ann M.; Rice, Thomas M. 2013. Protocolo Nacional para la Evaluacion de Disturbios en Suelos Forestales; Volumen II: Metodos complementarios, estadística y recoleccion de datos.
- Reeves, Derrick A.; Reeves, Matthew C.; Abbott, Ann M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Coleman, Mark D. 2012. A detrimental soil disturbance prediction model for ground-based timber harvesting.
- White, Kevin P.; Coleman, Mark; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Gessler, Paul E.; Kimsey, Mark; Shaw, Terry. 2012. Examining soil parent material influence over Douglas-fir stem growth response to fertilization: Taking advantage of information from spatiotemporally distributed experiments.
- Page-Dumoese, Deborah; Kimsey, Mark. 2012. Maintaining site productivity during biofuel harvest operations.
- Page-Dumroese, D. S.; Abbott, A. M.; Curran, M. P.; Jurgensen, M. F. 2012. Validating visual disturbance types and classes used for forest soil monitoring protocols.
- Dumroese, R. Kasten; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Brown, Robert E. 2011. Allometry, nitrogen status, and carbon stable isotope composition of Pinus ponderosa seedlings in two growing media with contrasting nursery irrigation regimes.
- McElligott, Kristin; Dumroese, Debbie; Coleman, Mark. 2011. Bioenergy production systems and biochar application in forests: potential for renewable energy, soil enhancement, and carbon sequestration.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Anderson, Nathaniel. 2011. Biomass utilization, forest restoration, and soil productivity associated with bioenergy harvesting and biochar application: Field and laboratory strategies for the U.S. Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station.
- Cook, Stephen P.; Birch, Sara M.; Merickel, Frank W.; Lowe, Carrie Caselton; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2011. Bumble bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) community structure on two sagebrush steppe sites in southern Idaho.
- Yu, Fei-Hai; Schutz, Martin; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Krusi, Bertil O.; Schneller, Jakob; Wildi, Otto; Risch, Anita C. 2011. Carex sempervirens tussocks induce spatial heterogeneity in litter decomposition, but not in soil properties, in a subalpine grassland in the Central Alps.
- Reeves, Derrick; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Coleman, Mark. 2011. Detrimental soil disturbance associated with timber harvest systems on National Forests in the Northern Region.
- Harrison, Robert B.; Maguire, Douglas A.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2011. Maintaining adequate nutrient supply - Principles, decision-support tools, and best management practices [Chapter 6].
- Coleman, Mark; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Archuleta, Jim; Badger, Phil; Chung, Woodum; Venn, Tyron; Loeffler, Dan; Jones, Greg; McElligott, Kristin. 2010. Can portable pyrolysis units make biomass utilization affordable while using bio-char to enhance soil productivity and sequester carbon?.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Curran, Michael P.; DeHart, Sharon M. 2010. Cumulative effects of fuel treatments on soil productivity.
- Risch, Anita; Wirthner, Sven; Busse, Matt; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2010. Grubbing by wild boars (Sus scrufa L.) and its impact on hardwood forest soil carbon dioxide emissions in Switzerland.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2010. Is woody residue part of your plan for sustainable forestry?.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Neary, Daniel; Trettin, Carl. 2010. Scientific background for soil monitoring on National Forests and Rangelands: workshop proceedings; April 29-30, 2008; Denver, CO.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Trettin, Carl C.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2010. Soil quality monitoring: Examples of existing protocols.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2010. The North-American Long-Term Soil Productivity Study: Concepts and literature.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Abbott, Ann M.; Rice, Thomas M. 2009. Forest Soil Disturbance Monitoring Protocol: Volume I: Rapid assessment.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Coleman, Mark; Jones, Greg; Venn, Tyron; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Anderson, Nathanial; Chung, Woodam; Loeffler, Dan; Archuleta, Jim; Kimsey, Mark; Badger, Phil; Shaw, Terry; McElligott, Kristin. 2009. Portable in-woods pyrolysis: Using forest biomass to reduce forest fuels, increase soil productivity, and sequester carbon.
- Han, Sang-Kyun; Han-Sup, Han; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Johnson, Leonard R. 2009. Soil compaction associated with cut-to-length and whole-tree harvesting of a coniferous forest.
- Napper, Carolyn; Howes, Steven; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2009. Soil-disturbance field guide.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Abbott, Ann; Henseik, Jennifer J. 2008. Effect of nursery storage and site preparation techniques on field performance of high-elevation Pinus contorta seedlings.
- Rawinski, John J.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2008. Soil compaction monitoring of the Pool Timber Sale, Rio Grande National Forest, Colorado, 16 years after logging.
- Page-Dumroese, D.; Jurgensen, M.; Neary, D.; Curran, M.; Trettin, C. 2008. Soil quality is fundamental to ensuring healthy forests.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Ferguson, Dennis; McDaniel, Paul; Johnson-Maynard, Jodi. 2007. Chemical changes induced by pH manipulations of volcanic ash-influenced soils.
- Busse, Matt D.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Powers, Robert F. 2007. Contribution of actinorhizal shrubs to site fertility in a northern California mixed pine forest.
- Johnson, Leonard R.; Page-Dumroese, Debbie; Han, Han-Sup. 2007. Effects of Machine Traffic on the Physical Properties of Ash-Cap Soils.
- Wang, Xiping; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Ross, Robert J. 2007. Field assessment of wood stake decomposition in forest soil.
- Thiel-Egenter, C.; Risch, A. C.; Jurgensen, M. F.; Page-Dumroese, D. S.; Krusi, B. O.; Schutz, M. 2007. Response of a subalpine grassland to simulated grazing: Aboveground productivity along soil phosphorus gradients.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Miller, Richard; Mital, Jim; McDaniel, Paul; Miller, Dan. 2007. Volcanic-ash-derived forest soils of the inland Northwest: Properties and implications for management and restoration.
- Fleming, Robert L.; Powers, Robert F.; Foster, Neil W.; Kranabetter, J. Marty; Scott, D. Andrew; Ponder, Felix Jr.; Berch, Shannon; Chapman, William K.; Kabzems, Richard D.; Ludovici, Kim H.; Morris, David M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Sanborn, Paul T.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Stone, Douglas M.; Tiarks, Allan E. 2006. Effects of organic matter removal, soil compaction, and vegetation control on 5-year seedling performance: a regional comparison of long-term soil productivity sites.
- Han, Han-Sup; Page-Dumroese, Debbie; Han, Sang-Kyun; Tirocke, Joanne. 2006. Effects of slash, machine passes, and soil moisture on penetration resistance in a cut-to-length harvesting.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Jurgensen, Martin; Abbott, Ann; Rice, Tom; Tirocke, Joanne; Farley, Sue; DeHart, Sharon. 2006. Monitoring Changes in Soil Quality from Post-fire Logging in the Inland Northwest.
- Schutz, Martin; Risch, Anita C.; Achermann, Gerald; Thiel-Egenter, Conny; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Edward, Peter J. 2006. Phosphorus translocation by red deer on a subalpine grassland in the central European Alps.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Jurgensen, Martin F. 2006. Soil carbon and nitrogen pools in mid- to late-successional forest stands of the northwestern United States: Potential impact of fire.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Tiarks, Allen E.; Ponder, Felix; Sanchez, Felipe G., Jr..; Fleming, Robert L.; Kranabetter, J. Marty; Powers, Robert F.; Stone, Douglas M.; Elioff, John D.; Scott, D. Andrew. 2006. Soil physical property changes at the North American long-term soil productivity study sites: 1 and 5 years after compaction.
- Jurgensen, Martin; Reed, David; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Laks, Peter; Collins, Anne; Mroz, Glenn; Degorski, Marek. 2006. Wood strength loss as a measure of decomposition in northern forest mineral soil.
- Dumroese, R. Kasten; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Salifu, K. Francis; Jacobs, Douglass F. 2005. Exponential fertilization of Pinus monticola seedlings: nutrient uptake efficiency, leaching fractions, and early outplanting performance.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2005. Fuels planning: science synthesis and integration; environmental consequences fact sheet 14: Fuels reduction and compaction.
- Powers, Robert F.; Scott, D. Andrew; Sanchez, Felipe g.; Voldseth, Richard A.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Elioff, John D.; Stone, Douglas M. 2005. The North American long-term soil productivity experiment: findings from the first decade of research.
- Risch, Anita C.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Schutz, Martin; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2005. The contribution of red wood ants to soil C and N pools and CO2 emissions in subalpine forests.
- Jurgensen, Martin; Laks, Peter; Reed, David; Collins, Anne; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Crawford, Douglas. 2004. Chemical, physical and biological factors affecting wood decomposition in forest soils.
- Powers, Robert F.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Scott, D. Andrew; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 2004. The North American Long-Term Soil Productivity Experiment: Coast-to-coast findings from the first decade.
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Harvey, Alan E. 2003. Fire and fire-suppression impacts on forest-soil carbon [Chapter 13].
- Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Jurgensen, Martin; Elliot, William; Rice, Thomas; Nesser, John; Collins, Thomas; Meurisse, Robert. 2000. Soil quality standards and guidelines for forest sustainability in northwestern North America.
- Ford, Gary L.; Maynard, C. Lee; Nesser, John A.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 1998. Landtype associations of the Northern Region 1997: A first approximation.
- Nesser, John A.; Ford, Gary L.; Maynard, C. Lee; Dumroese, Debbie. 1997. Ecological units of the Northern Region: Subsections.
- Cooper, Stephen V.; Lesica, Peter; Page-Dumroese, Deborah. 1997. Plant community classification for alpine vegetation on the Beaverhead National Forest, Montana.
- Page-Dumroese, Deb; Harvey, Al; Jurgensen, Marty. 1995. A guide to soil samplng and analysis on the National Forests of the Inland Northwest United States.
- Graham, Russell T.; Harvey, Alan E.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Jain, Theresa B.; Tonn, Jonalea R.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 1994. Managing coarse woody debris in forests of the Rocky Mountains.
|New protocols help understand changing soils|
Forest Service scientists have met the challenge of developing meaningful soil quality standards that can evaluate the full range of variability ...