521 Devall Drive
Auburn, AL 36849-5418
Contact Dale Brockway
Forest ecosystem ecology, fire ecology, restoration ecology and silviculture. Quantify the dynamic interactions between ecological processes and natural disturbance regimes, specifically fire as a regulator of ecosystem function, structure, pattern and composition. Development of technologies useful in restoration of degraded ecosystems to a functional status compatible with achieving the multiple goals and objectives of natural resource managers. Analysis of the management impacts, resulting from application of silviculture alternatives, on ecosystem processes, biological diversity and sustainable productivity in longleaf pine forests.
Ecosystem restoration; ecosystem recovery from disturbance; uneven-aged forest management through selection silviculture.
Restoring fire as an ecological process in shortgrass prairies; restoring grassland savannas from degraded pinyon-juniper woodlands; forest plant diversity at local and landscape scales in the Cascade Mountains; ecological classification and management of forest plant associations in the western Cascades; forest fertilization and nutrient cycling through land application of biosolids and wastewater.
Why This Research is Important
During the earlier period of timber exploitation, longleaf pine occupancy throughout the South was reduced from 93 to less than 3 million acres. Since this time, longleaf pine forests have come to be recognized as being among the most species-rich plant communities outside the tropics and yet one of the most endangered of terrestrial ecosystems in North America. In recent times, broad-scale collaborative efforts have developed which are aimed at restoring longleaf pine on several million new acres and improving the condition of longleaf pine ecosystems on many existing acres. The research undertaken by RWU-SRS-4158 "Restoring and Managing Longleaf Pine Ecosystems" focuses on providing new and improved methods, techniques and tools that will facilitate the restoration of longleaf pine ecosystems and provide guidance for sustainably managing longleaf pine forests for a broad range of products and services.
- Michigan State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology and Forest Soils, 1979
- Michigan State University, M.S. Forest Ecology and Silviculture, 1975
- Michigan State University, B.S. Biology: Ecology and Physiology, 1973
- Delta College, A.S. Conservation Biology, 1971
- Society for Ecological Restoration, Member (2001 - Current)
- Ecological Society of America, Lifetime Member (1988 - Current)
- Society Of American Foresters, Member (1975 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Outcalt, K.W.; Brockway, D.G. 2010. Structure and composition changes following restoration treatments of longleaf pine forests on the Gulf Coastal Plain of Alabama.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Becky L., Estes; Robert B., Rummer. 2009. Vegetation response to midstorey mulching and prescribed burning for wildfire hazard reduction and longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) ecosystem restoration.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Boyer, William D. 2006. Longleaf pine regeneration ecology and methods.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Tomczak, Donald J.; Johnson, Everett E. 2005. Restoration of Longleaf Pine Ecosystems.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W. 2000. Restoring Longleaf Pine Wiregrass Ecosystems: Hexazinone Application Enhances Effects of Prescribed Fire.
Publications & Products
- Dyson, David S.; Brockway, Dale G. 2015. Intensive longleaf pine management for hurricane recovery: fourth-year results.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Outcalt, Kenneth W. 2015. Pro-B selection method for uneven-aged management of longleaf pine forests.
- Bohn, Kimberly; Chancy, Christel; Brockway, Dale. 2015. Structure and regrowth of longleaf pine forests following uneven-aged silviculture and hurricane disturbance at the Escambia Experimental Forest.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Outcalt, Kenneth W. 2014. Proportional basal area method for implementing selection silviculture systems in longleaf pine forests.
- Oswalt, Christopher M.; Cooper, Jason A.; Brockway, Dale G.; Brooks, Horace W.; Walker, Joan L.; Connor, Kristina F.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Conner, Roger C. 2012. History and current condition of longleaf pine in the Southern United States.
- Dyson, David S.; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Jack, Steven B.; Brockway, Dale G. 2012. Influence of light and moisture on longleaf pine seedling growth in selection silviculture.
- Connor, Kristina F.; Brockway, Dale G.; Boyer, William D.; Tucker, Ronald K. 2009. The Escambia Experimental Forest.
- Brockway, Dale G. 2009. Uneven-aged management, cone crops and natural regeneration of longleaf pine.
- Connor, K.F.; Brockway, D.G.; Haywood, J.D.; Goelz, J.C.G.; Sword-Sayer, M.A.; Sung, S-JS.; Walker, J.L. 2007. Restoring and managing longleaf pine ecosystems in the southern United States: Southern Research Station Unit SRS-4158.
- Lugo, Ariel D.; Swanson, Frederick J.; González, Olga Ramos; Adams, Mary Beth; Palik, Brian; Thill, Ronald E.; Brockway, Dale G.; Kern, Christel; Woodsmith, Richard; Musselman, Robert. 2006. Long-term research at the USDA Forest Service's experimental forests and ranges..
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Tomczak, Donald J.; Johnson, Everett E. 2005. Restoring longleaf pine forest ecosystems in the southern U.S.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W. 2005. Understory vegetation response in longleaf pine forests to fire and fire surrogate treatments for wildfire hazard reduction and ecological restoration.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Guldin, James M.; Boyer, William D.; Walker, Joan L.; Rudolph, D. Craig; Rummer, Robert B.; Barnett, James P.; Jose, Shibu; Nowak, Jarek. 2005. Uneven-aged management of longleaf pine forests: a scientist and manager dialogue.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Lewis, Clifford E. 2003. Influence of deer, cattle grazing and timber harvest on plant species diversity in a longleaf pine bluestem ecosystem.
- Brockway, Dale; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Estes, Becky L. 2003. Restoring Southern Pine Forests Ecosystems: Plant Community Response to Mechanical Midstory History Reduction and Prescribed Fire on Sandhills at Fort Benning Georgia.
- Rummer, B.; Outcalt, K.; Brockway, D. 2002. Mechanical mid-story reduction treatments for forest fuel management.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Gatewood, Richard G.; Paris, Randi B. 2002. Restoring fire as an ecological process in shortgrass prairie ecosystems: initial effects of prescribed burning during the dormant and growing seasons.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Gatewood, Richard G.; Paris, Randi B. 2002. Restoring grassland savannas from degraded pinyon-juniper woodlands: effects of mechanical overstory reduction and slash treatment alternatives.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Tomczak, Donald J.; Johnson, E. E. 2002. Restoring longleaf pine forest ecosystems in the southern United States.
- Outcalt, K.W.; Brockway, D.G. 2001. Response of a southern pine community to readjustment of stand structure.
- Brockway, D.G. 1998. Forest plant diversity at local and landscape scales in the Cascade Mountains of southwestern Washington.
- Brockway, D.G.; Outcalt, K.W. 1998. Gap-phase regeneration inlongleaf pine wiregrass ecosystems.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Wilkins, R. Neal. 1998. Restoring longleaf pine wiregrass ecosystems: plant cover, diversity and biomass following low-rate hexazinone application on Florida sandhills.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Wolters, Gale L.; Pearson, H.A.; Thill, Ronald E.; Baldwin, V. Clark, Jr..; Martin, A. 1998. Understory plant response to site preparation and fertilization of loblolly and shortleaf pine forests.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Lewis, Clifford E. 1997. Long-term effects of dormant-season prescribed fire on plant community diversity, structure and productivity in a longleaf pine wiregrass ecosystem.
- Brockway, Dale G. 1993. Long-term fire ecology of a longleaf-slash pine/wiregrass forest, Alapaha, Georgia.
- Brockway, D.G. 1991. Sludge fertilization of State Forest land in northern Michigan.
- Brockway, D.G.; [Editor], . 1989. Building a Forest Resource Constituency.
- Brockway, Dale G. 1988. Forest Thrives In Sludge Application Tests.
- Brockway, D.G. 1988. Forest land application of municipal sludge..
- Hart, J.B.; Nguyen, P.V.; Urie, D.H.; Brockway, Dale G. 1988. Silvicultural Use of Wastewater Sludge.
- Lea, R.; Brockway, D.G. 1986. Fertilization of Northern Hardwoods.
- Brockway, D.G.; Nguyen, P.V. 1986. Municipal Sludge Application in Forests of Northern Michigan: a Case Study..
- Topik, Christopher; Halverson, Nancy M.; Brockway, Dale G. 1986. Plant association and management guide for the western hemlock zone..
- Urie, D.H.; Brockway, D.G. 1986. Relating Research Results to Sludge Guidelines for Michigan's Forests.
- Brockway, D.G.; Urie, D.H.; Nguyen, P.V.; Hart, J.B. 1986. Wastewater and Sludge Nutrient Utilization in Forest Ecosystems.
- Brockway, D.G.; Topik, C. 1984. Ecological classification and management characteristics of montane forest land in southwestern Washington..
- Brockway, D.G.; Urie, D.H. 1983. Determining Sludge Fertilization Rates for Forests from Nitrate-N in Leachate and Groundwater.
- Brockway, D.G. 1983. Forest Floor, Soil, andVegetation Responses to Sludge Fertilization in Red and White Pine Plantations.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Topik, Christopher; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Emmingham, William H. 1983. Plant association and management guide for the Pacific silver fir zone Gifford Pinchot National Forest..
- Brockway, D.G. 1982. Tree seedling reponses to wastewater irrigation on a reforested old field in southern Michigan..
- Brockway, D.G.; Burton, T.M.; Cooley, J.H.; D'Itri, F.M.; Dowdy, R.H.; Ellis, B.G.; Epstein, L.; Erickson, A.E.; Hook, J.E.; Jacobs, L.W.; Kerr, S.N.; Knezek, B.D.; Myers, E.A.; Palazzo, A.J.; Poloncsik, S.; Safir, G.R.; Sopper, W.E.; Sutherland, J.C.; Tesar, M.B.; Thomas, R.E.; Urie, D.H. 1981. The current status on the selection and management of vegetation for slow rate and overland flow application systems to treat municipal wastewater in the North Central region of the United States.
- Brockway, Dale G.; Schneider, Gary; White, Donald P. 1979. Dynamics of Municipal Wastewater Renovation in a Young Conifer-Hardwood Plantation in Michigan.
- Brockway, D.G.; Schneider, G.; White, D.P. 1979. Municipal wastewater renovation, growth and nutrient uptake in an immature conifer-hardwood plantation.
|New Management Technique Offers Promise for Longleaf Pine Forests and Beyond|
SRS researchers and partners developed a new technique for managing longleaf pine forests called the Proportional-B (Pro-B) Method. Results show ...
|Restoration Treatments for the Post-Hurricane Recovery of Longleaf Pine|
Scientists recommend herbicide use to control hardwoods in plantings of longleaf pine after hurricane damage