Don C. Bragg
University of Arkansas at Monticello, P.O. Box 3516
Monticello, AR 71656-3516
- Silviculture of naturally regenerated pine and pine-hardwood ecosystems in the southeastern U.S.
- Height measurement and modeling techniques
- Applied historical ecology and the history of forestry
- Ecology and management of old-growth forests in the Midsouth
- Ice storm impacts on the ecology and management of southern forests
- Composition, structure, biomass, and productivity of southern pine-dominated ecosystems
- Modeling forest dynamics using simulation models
In addition to the current research programs listed above, I am also interested in disturbance ecology, the role of humans in the development of historic and current forests, the evolution of landscapes and their corresponding vegetative communities, and the role of natural resource technology transfer in education and professional development.
I have long been fascinated by the role people played in the development of forests. This includes prehistoric peoples, the historic lumbering period, and more recent management practices and trends. I am particularly interested in how human impacts have shaped the structure, composition, and function of our forests, and how we can adapt knowledge of past forest communities to help shape and improve contemporary silvicultural practices.
One specific example of the evolution of landscapes is the formation of "prairie mounds" in the Midsouth. These natural-origin circular mounds are very abundant across much of the region, but we still know almost nothing about them. Evidence suggests they may be relicts of prehistoric climate extremes (primarily megadroughts), but we lack convincing information to definitively show that this was the origin of these features. I'm also intrigued by the seismic history of this portion of the US, especially as it relates to the formation of sand blows, a liquefaction feature found in a surprising number of areas in a previously thought stable area.
- The birdseye grain abnormality in sugar maple
- Riparian large woody debris recruitment
- Utah State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology, 1999
- Michigan Technological University, M.S. Forestry, 1995
- Michigan Technological University, B.S. Forestry, 1992
- GS-14 Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2009 - Current
- GS-13 Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2004 - 2009
- GS-12 Research Forester, Southern Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2000 - 2004
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of Michigan
2000 - 2000
Featured Publications & Products
- Bragg, Don C. 2013. Composition, biomass, and overstory spatial patterns in a mature pine-hardwood stand in southeastern Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2012. Developing contemporary and historical live tree biomass estimates for old pine-hardwood stands of the Midsouth, USA.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G. 2011. Lessons from 72 years of monitoring a once-cut pine-hardwood stand on the Crossett Experimental Forest, Arkansas, U.S.A.
- Bragg, Don C.; Frelich, Lee E.; Leverett, Robert T.; Blozan, Will; Luthringer, Dale J. 2011. The Sine Method: An Alternative Height Measurement Technique.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G. 2010. Recovery of planted loblolly pine 5 years after severe ice storms in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2006. Potential contributions of figured wood to the practice of sustainable forestry.
- Bragg, Don C.; Roberts, David W.; Crow, Thomas R. 2004. A hierarchical approach for simulating northern forest dynamics.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G; Zeide, Boris. 2003. Impacts and management implications of ice storms on forests in the southern United States.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. Reference conditions for old-growth pine forests in the Upper West Gulf Coastal Plain.
Publications & Products
- Bragg, Don C. 2014. Accurately measuring the height of (real) forest trees.
- Bragg, Don C.; Guldin, James M. 2014. The Silvicultural implications of age patterns in two southern pine stands after 72 years of uneven-aged management.
- Bragg, D.C.; McElligott, K.M. 2013. Comparing aboveground biomass predictions for an uneven-aged pine-dominated stand using local, regional, and national models.
- McElligott, K.M.; Bragg, D.C. 2013. Deriving biomass models for small-diameter loblolly pine on the Crossett Experimenal Forest.
- Sharma, S.; Adams, Joshua P.; Schuler, Jamie L.; Bragg, Don C.; Ficklin, Robert L. 2013. Genetic effects on early stand development of improved loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings.
- Bragg, Don C. 2013. Results of a long-term thinning study in some natural, even-aged pine stands of the Midsouth.
- Schuler, Jamie L.; Bragg, Don C.; Heitzman, Eric; Milks, Jason. 2013. Seedling response to initial oak woodland restoration treatments on the Ozark National Forest.
- Bragg, Don C. 2012. A brief history of forests and tree planting in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2012. Age structure of a southern pine stand following 72 years of uneven-aged silviculture.
- Bragg, Don C.; Stahle, David W.; Cerny, K. Chris. 2012. Structural attributes of two old-growth Cross Timbers stands in western Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2011. A 3-point derivation of dominant tree height equations.
- Bragg, Don C. 2011. Cypress lumbering in antebellum Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2011. Forests and forestry in Arkansas during the last two centuries.
- Bragg, D. C. 2011. Modeling loblolly pine aboveground live biomass in a mature pine-hardwood stand: a cautionary tale.
- Bragg, Don C.; Guldin, James M. 2010. Estimating long-term carbon sequestration patterns in even- and uneven-aged southern pine stands.
- Bragg, Don C. 2010. Percy George and The Pine Tree Menace.
- Bragg, Don C. 2010. Pine seed tree growth and yield on the Crossett Experimental Forest.
- Bragg, D. C. 2010. Stand conditions immediately following a restoration harvest in an old-growth pine-hardwood remnant.
- Bragg, Don C.; Heitzman, Eric. 2009.
Composition, structure, and dynamics of a mature, unmanaged, pine-dominated old-field stand in southeastern Arkansas.
- Wells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary; Schuler, Thomas; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter; Kitchen, Stanley; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don; Shelton, Michael; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia. 2009. Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success stories.
- Bragg, Don C. 2008.
Practical extension of a Lake States tree height model.
- Bragg, D. 2008. A comparison of pine height models for the Crossett Experimental Forest.
- Bragg, Don C. 2008. An improved tree height measurement technique tested on mature southern pines.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G.; Guldin, James M. 2008. Restoring old-growth southern pine ecosystems: strategic lessons from long-term silvicultural research.
- Darling, O.H. Doogie; Bragg, Don C. 2008. The early mills, railroads, and logging camps of the Crossett Lumber Company.
- Bragg, Don C. 2008. The prominence of pine in the upper west gulf coastal plain during historical times.
- Bragg, Don C. 2007. Forest restoration in landscapes: beyond planting trees.
- Bragg, Don C.; Weih, Robert C. Jr. 2007. Notable environmental features in some historical aerial photographs from Ashley Country, Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2007. The sine method as a more accurate height predictor for hardwoods.
- Bragg, Don C. 2006. A taste of sowbelly and saleratus biscuit: Gifford Pinchot's Arkansas adventure.
- Bragg, Don C. 2006. Five years of change in an old-growth pine-hardwood remnant in Ashley County, Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C.; Guldin, James M.; Shelton, Michael G. 2006. Stacking the log deck, or some fallacies about natural pine managment.
- Bragg, Don C. 2005. Behavior and sensitivity of an optimal tree diameter growth model under data uncertainty.
- Bragg, Don C. 2005. Learing the Hard Way: The Beginnings of Forest Service Research in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2005. Learning the hard way: the beginnings of Forest Service research in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2005. Optimal Tree Increment Models for the Northeastern United States.
- Warwick, Mickie; Bragg, Don C. 2005. Practical applications of the geographic coordinate data base in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2005. Presettlement Pinus taeda in the Mississippi Valley Alluvial Plain of the Monroe County, Arkansas area.
- Doruska, Paul F.; Weih, Robert C.; Lane, Matthew D.; Bragg, Don C. 2005. Quantifying Forest Ground Flora Biomass Using Close-range Remote Sensing.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. A prescription for old-growth-like characteristics in southern pines.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. Composition and Structure of a l930s-Era Pine-Hardwood Stand in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. Composition, structure, and dynamics of a pine-hardwood old-growth remnant in southern Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. General Land Office Surveys as a Source for Arkansas History: The Example of Ashley County.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. Historical reflections on the Arkansas cross timbers.
- Bragg, Don C. 2004. Patterns of Oak Dominance in the Eastern Ouachita Mountains Suggested by Early Records.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G.; Heitzman, Eric. 2004. Relative Impacts of Ice Storms on Loblolly Pine Plantations in Central Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C.; Kershner, Jeffrey L. 2004. Sensitivity of a Riparian Large Woody Debris Recruitment Model to the Number of Contributing Banks and Tree Fall Pattern.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G.; Guldin, James M.; Lovett, Ernest. 2004. What does modern technology portend for uneven-aged southern pine silviculture?.
- Bragg, Don C.; Guldin, James M. 2003. Differences in Optimal Growth Equations For White Oak in the Interior Highlands.
- Bragg, Don C. 2003. Natural Presettlement Features of the Ashley County, Arkansas Area.
- Bragg, Don C. 2003. Optimal Diameter Growth Equations for Major Tree Species of the Midsouth.
- Bragg, Don C. 2003. Optimal tree increment models for the Northeastern United Statesq.
- Doruska, Paul F.; Weih, Robert C., Jr..; Lane, Matthew D.; Bragg, Don C. 2003. Quantifying forest ground flora biomass using proximal sensing.
- Bragg, Don C.; Guldin, James M.; Shelton, Michael G. 2003. The Crossett Story, Revised: Updating a Forestry Classic.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. Prunus pumila L..
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. A System to Derive Optimal Tree Diameter Increment Models from the Eastwide Forest Inventory Data Base (EFIDB).
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. Checklist of Major Plant Species in Ashley County, Arkansas Noted by General Land Office Surveyors.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. Empirically Derived Optimal Growth Equations For Hardwoods and Softwoods in Arkansas.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. Fuzzy Set Classification of Old-Growth Southern Pine.
- Bragg, Don C.; Kershner, Jeffrey L. 2002. Influence of Bank Afforestation and Snag Angle-of-fall on Riparian Large Woody Debris Recruitment.
- Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G.; Heitzman, Eric. 2002. Silvicultural lessons from the December 2000 ice storms.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. SnagIt, Version 6.1 For Windows.
- Bragg, Don C. 2002. The efficacy of using inventory data to develop optimal diameter increment models.
- Bragg, Don C. 2001. A local basal area adjustment for crown width prediction.
- Bragg, Don C. 2001. Potential relative increment (PRI): a new method to empirically derive optimal tree diameter growth.
- Bragg, Don C.; Bragg, Hope A. 2001. Woody plants of North America [product review].
- Bragg, Don C. 2000. An international nomenclature for forest work study.
- Bragg, Don C.; Kershner, Jeffrey L.; Roberts, David W. 2000. Modeling large woody debris recruitment for small streams of the Central Rocky Mountains.
- Doruska, Paul F.; Bragg, Don C., eds. 2000. Proceedings of the 2001 Southern Mensurationists' Conference.
- Bragg, Don C.; Stokke, Douglas D. 1994. Field identification of birdseye in sugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh.).