521 Devall Drive
Phone: 334-826-8700 x123
Contact Dana Mitchell
Biomass harvesting, collection and storage are the primary focus areas of our current research. In a large project involving many research partners, we investigated the use of young pine plantations for biomass. This project included a wide variety of topics including equipment design and selection, harvesting production studies, chip van design and testing, log truck design and testing, and transpirational drying. In other projects, we have investigated the use of various ways to bundle and bale low-value forest residues. By densifying forest residues into a form that is compact and easy to handle, we can reduce the cost to transport the woody biomass material to an end-user facility.
Short rotation woody crops are another source for woody biomass. These purpose-grown trees are managed in a variety of ways with a range of planting densities (trees per acre, single or dual row) and management types (single stem or coppice). These different management decisions impact how and when the biomass can be harvested. We continue to investigate research topics surrounding equipment selection and the impact of type of cutting mechanism (shear or saw) on coppice response.
Other areas of research include the use of extended working hours in logging operations to evaluate production rates and impacts on forest workers; small scale forestry options for small tracts; and pinyon-juniper harvesting options to improve/restore rangeland vegetation.
- Auburn University, Ph.D. Forestry
- Oregon State University, M.F. Forest Engineering
- Washington State University, B.S. Forest Management
- Council of Forest Engineering, Member (1994 - Current)
Attend meetings, moderate sessions, and present current research findings. Assisted in compiling the proceedings papers from the 2010 Annual Meeting.
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers, Various Positions (2005 - 2010)
T-12 (Forest Engineering) Committee member, Past Secretary, Past Chairperson.
- Anderson, Nathaniel; Mitchell, Dana. 2016. Forest Operations And Woody Biomass Logistics To Improve Efficiency, Value, And Sustainability.
- Souter, Ray A.; Gardiner, Emile S; Leininger, Theodor D.; Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Robert B. 2015. Eastern Cottonwood And Black Willow Biomass Crop Production In The Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley Under Four Planting Densities.
- Thompson, Jason; Klepac, John; Mitchell, Dana. 2015. Loading Productivity Of Untrimmed And Trimmed Pulpwood.
- Klepac, John; Mitchell, Dana; Thompson, Jason. 2015. Monitoring Moisture Content, Temperature, And Humidity In Whole-Tree Pine Chip Piles.
- Thompson, Jason; Mitchell, Dana; Klepac, John. 2014. Advantages And Disadvantages Of Untrimmed Wood In The Supply Chain.
- Smidt, Mathew.; Mitchell, Dana. 2014. Chipping And Grinding Production Rate Calculator.
- de Souza, Daniel; Gallagher, Tom; Mitchell, Dana; Smidt, Matthew; McDonald, Tim; Wright, Jeff. 2014. Determining The Impact Of Felling Method And Season Of Year On Coppice Regeneration.
- Kenney, Jonathan; Gallagher, Thomas; Smidt, Matthew; Mitchell, Dana; and McDonald, Timothy. 2014. Factors That Affect Fuel Consumption In Logging Systems.
- Mitchell, Dana; Klepac, John. 2014. Harvesting Considerations For Ecosystem Restoration Projects.
- Cardoso, Wellington; Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom; and de Souza, Daniel. 2014. Harvesting Short Rotation Woody Crops With A Shear.
- Klepac, John; Mitchell, Dana; and Thompson, Jason. 2014. The Effect Of Pile Size On Moisture Content Of Loblolly Pine While Field Drying.
- Sprinkle, Jacob; Mitchell, Dana. 2013. Characteristics Of Comminuted Forest Biomass.
- Rummer, B.; Mitchell, D. 2013. Harvesting Systems And Costs For Short Rotation Poplar.
- Mitchell, D.; Huffaker, E. 2013. The State Of The Logging Workforce In The Southern United States.
- Mitchell, D. 2012. Ups And Downs Associated With Implementing Shift Schedules On A Southern Harvesting Operation.
- Meadows, Steven; Gallagher, Tom; Mitchell, Dana. 2011. A New Slash Bundling Concept For Use In A Southern U.S.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Air Quality On Biomass Harvesting Operations.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Bundling Logging Residues With A Modified John Deere B-380 Slash Bundler.
- Jernigan, P.; Gallagher, T.; Mitchell, Dana; Teeter, L. 2011. High Tonnage Forest Biomass Production Systems From Southern Pine Energy Plantations.
- Cutshall, J.; Greene, D.; Baker, S.; Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Transpirational Drying Effects On Energy And Ash Content From Whole-Tree Chipping Operations In A Southern Pine Plantation.
- Mitchell, D.; Gallagher, T. 2010. Extended Working Hours: Impacts On Workers.
- Meadows, S.; Gallagher, T.; Mitchell, D. 2010. Project Summary: Application Of A Trailer-Mounted Slash Bundler For Southern Logging.
- Mitchell, D.; Elder, T. 2010. Torrefaction What S That.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2008. Felling Small Trees With A Drive-To-Tree Feller-Buncher.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2008. Impacts Of Extended Working Hours In Logging.
- Mitchell, Dana; Seixas, Fernando; Klepac, John. 2008. Modified Precision-Husky Progrind H-3045 For Chipping Biomass.
- Mitchell, Dana; Klepac, John. 2008. Processing Woody Biomass With A Modified Horizontal Grinder.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2007. Chipping Whole Trees For Fuel Chips: A Production Study.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2007. Physiological And Psychological Impacts Of Extended Work Hours In Logging Operations.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 2007. Processing Woody Debris Biomass For Co-Milling With Pulverized Coal.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2006. Extended Working Shifts: Are They Applicable To The Southeastern United States.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2006. Perspectives On Woody Biomass Fuel Value And Specifications In Alabama.
- Mitchell, Dana L. 2005. Assessment Of Current Technologies For Communition Of Forest Residues.
- Mitchell, Dana; Ayala, Renee; [Compilers], . 2005. Biomass Publications Of The Forest Operations Research Unit: A Synthesis.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2005. Fuel-Reduction Treatments With A Gyrotrac Gt-25.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 2001. Midstory Reduction Treatments With A Woodgator T-5.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 1999. Midstory Reduction Treatments With A Shinn Sc-1.
|A Simple Technique to Improve Woody Biomass Quality|
The commercial markets for biofuels and bio-based products will require cost-competitive raw materials to compete with rival energy sources. The ...