Project Leader, Acting
521 Devall Drive
Auburn, AL 36849-5418
Phone: 334-826-8700 x23
Contact Dana Mitchell
Biomass harvesting, collection and storage are the main focus of my current research. One study involves a modification to a commercially available bundling machine to potentially reduce the processing costs of collecting logging residues that are concentrated on logging ramps. The results of this study include production rates, costs, and work site equipment arrangements. Some of the bundles produced during the study are being measured and sampled over time to determine the changes that occur during field storage conditions. Other studies in this research area include system performance for various biomass harvesting operations. Although forest residues and understory vegetation are some of the typical sources for biomass, my studies are broadening to include harvest systems for short rotation woody crops. I also study the use of extended working hours in logging operations to evaluate production rates and impacts on forest workers.
- Auburn University, Ph.D. Forestry,
- Oregon State University, M.F. Forest Engineering,
- Washington State University, B.S. Forest Management,
- Council of Forest Engineering, Member (1994 - Current)
Attend meetings, moderate sessions, and present current research findings. Assisted in compiling the proceedings papers from the 2010 Annual Meeting.
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers, Various Positions (2005 - 2010)
T-12 (Forest Engineering) Committee member, Past Secretary, Past Chairperson.
Featured Publications & Products
- Mitchell, D.; Elder, T. 2010. Torrefaction? What’s that?.
- Meadows, S.; Gallagher, T.; Mitchell, D. 2010. Project summary: Application of a trailer-mounted slash bundler for southern logging.
- Mitchell, D.; Gallagher, T. 2010. Extended working hours: Impacts on workers.
- Mitchell, Dana; Klepac, John. 2008. Processing woody biomass with a modified horizontal grinder.
- Mitchell, Dana; Seixas, Fernando; Klepac, John. 2008. Modified precision-husky progrind H-3045 for chipping biomass.
Publications & Products
- Sprinkle, Jacob; Mitchell, Dana. 2013. Characteristics of Comminuted Forest Biomass.
- Rummer, B.; Mitchell, D. 2013. Harvesting systems and costs for short rotation poplar.
- Mitchell, D.; Huffaker, E. 2013. The State of the Logging Workforce in the Southern United States.
- Mitchell, D. 2012. Ups and Downs Associated with Implementing Shift Schedules on a Southern Harvesting Operation.
- Meadows, Steven; Gallagher, Tom; Mitchell, Dana. 2011. A new slash bundling concept for use in a Southern U.S.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Air quality on biomass harvesting operations.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Bundling Logging Residues with a Modified John Deere B-380 Slash Bundler.
- Jernigan, P.; Gallagher, T.; Mitchell, Dana; Teeter, L. 2011. High tonnage forest biomass production systems from southern pine energy plantations.
- Cutshall, J.; Greene, D.; Baker, S.; Mitchell, Dana. 2011. Transpirational drying effects on energy and ash content from whole-tree chipping operations in a southern pine plantation.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2008. Felling small trees with a drive-to-tree feller-buncher.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2008. Impacts of extended working hours in logging.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2007. Chipping whole trees for fuel chips: a production study.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2007. Physiological and psychological impacts of extended work hours in logging operations.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 2007. Processing woody debris biomass for co-milling with pulverized coal.
- Mitchell, Dana; Gallagher, Tom. 2006. Extended working shifts: are they applicable to the Southeastern United States?.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2006. Perspectives on woody biomass fuel value and specifications in Alabama.
- Mitchell, Dana L. 2005. Assessment of current technologies for communition of forest residues.
- Mitchell, Dana; Ayala, Renee; [Compilers], . 2005. Biomass publications of the forest operations research unit: A synthesis.
- Mitchell, Dana. 2005. Fuel-reduction treatments with a gyrotrac GT-25.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 2001. Midstory reduction treatments with a Woodgator T-5.
- Mitchell, Dana; Rummer, Bob. 1999. Midstory reduction treatments with a Shinn SC-1.