Research Forest Products Technologist
241 Mercer Springs Road
Contact Delton Alderman
- Development of a mass customization or personalization model for the transfer of technology and knowledge.
- Assessment of attributes or cues that veneer procurement personnel emphasize in veneer log procurement.
- Assessment of attributes or cues that veneer clippers/manufacturers utilize in final clipping decisions
- Assessment of consumer preferences among and between select U.S. and foreign hardwood species.
- Assessment of primary and secondary manufacturers' technology transfer needs, specifically gauging interest in developing personalized technology transfer.
- Entrepreneurial management and marketing for white pine sawmills and producers.
- Discernment of fashion/trendsetters in the furniture and flooring industry segments for enhancing hardwood utilization.
- Personalization of technology transfer
- Personalization of furniture manufacture
- Procurement and consumer preference effects on hardwood forest management
- Human interaction and experience with wood products
Why This Research is Important
NRS-01's stated goals are to promote natural resource conservation and help sustain forest-based industries and economies through research and development on resource characteristics, forest management practices, and innovative processing technologies. The research scientist's projects address these goals, as sustainable industries are congruent with and integral to forest management and healthy forests.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI), Wood Science and Forest Products , 2001
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI), Wood Science and Forest Products , 1998
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (VPI), Forestry and Wildlife Management , 1982
- Forestry Consultant, Delton Alderman, Winston-Salem, NC
1985 - 1996
- Procurement Forester, D T House Co. Inc, Louisburg NC
1982 - 1984
- Forest Products Society, Member (1999 - Present)
- American Marketing Association (2001 - Present)
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST) (2003 - Present)
- Society of American Foresters (1982 - 1994)
- Forest Products Society, Extension and Technology Transfer Technical Interest Group, Chair (2006 - 2009)
- Forest Products Society,Marketing Technical Interest Group, Chair (2006 - 2009)
- Forest Products Society,Membership Committee, Carolinas-Chesapeake Section, Chair And Director (2005 - 2008)
Featured Publications & Products
- Alderman, Delton. 2011. Entrepreneurial Orientation Of Eastern White Pine Primary Producers And Secondary Manufacturers: A Regional Phenomenon.
- Brinberg, David; Kline, Earl; Alderman, Delton; Araman, Philip; Cesa, Ed; Milauskas, Steve; Walthousen, Tom; Wiedenbeck, Jan. 2008. Exploring Research Priorities For The North American Hardwood Industry.
- Alderman, Delton; Bumgardner, Matthew; Bowe, Scott; Brinberg, David. 2008. Consumer Ring Count And Grain Texture Preferences Of Selected Eastern United States Hardwoods.
- Luppold, William; Alderman, Delton. 2007. Influence Of Species On Site Selection And Timber Removal: A Case Study For West Virginia.
- Alderman, Delton; Nakamoto, Kent; Briberg, David. 2007. From A Social Marketing Perspective: A Proposed Customer Relationship Management Technology Transfer Model.
- Alderman, Delton. 2014. United States Housing, First Quarter 2013.
- Alderman, Delton. 2013. Do Region And Gender Influence Hardwood Product Selection.
- Alderman, Delton. 2013. Housing And Construction Markets.
- Alderman, Delton. 2013. United States Housing, 2012.
- Luppold, William G.; Alderman, Delton; Schnabel, Doug. 2012. Changes In Tennessee'S Secondary Hardwood Processing And Sawmill Industries From 2005 To 2009.
- Alderman, Delton. 2012. The Economic Situation And Construction-Sector Developments In The Unece Region, 2011-2012.
- Alderman, Delton. 2011. International Housing Construction Developments - Implications For Hardwood Utilization.
- Alderman, Delton; Shelburne, Robert. 2011. The Economic Situation And Construction Sector Developments In The Unece Region, 2010-2011.
- Alderman, Delton; Smith, Robert; Bowe, Scott. 2007. Eastern White Pine Secondary Manufacturers: Consumption, Markets, And Marketing.
- Alderman, Delton; Duvall, Paul; Smith, Robert; Bowe, Scott. 2007. Eastern White Pine: Production, Markets, And Marketing Of Primary Manufacturers.
- Smith, Robert L.; Bailey, David; Alderman, Delton R., Jr..; Araman, Philip A. 2006. The Reuse Of Treated Wood.
- Alderman, Delton R., Jr.; Bumgardner, Matthew S., Jr..; Baumgras, John E.; Baumgras, John E. 2005. An Assessment Of The Red Maple Resource In The Northeastern United States.
- Luppold, William; Alderman, Delton; Alderman, Delton. 2005. An Examination Of Regional Hardwood Roundwood Markets In West Virginia.
- Alderman, Delton; Luppold, William. 2005. Examination Of Regional Hardwood Roundwood Markets In West Virginia.
- Alderman, Delton; Alderman, Delton. 2005. Red Maple On The Rise In The Northeast.
- Wiedenbeck, Jan; Wiemann, Michael; Alderman, Delton; Baumgras, John; Luppold, William. 2004. Defining Hardwood Veneer Log Quality Attributes.
- Alderman, Delton; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Peter, Paula; Brinberg, David. 2004. Key Attributes Associated With Veneer Quality Timber That May Be Impacted By Forest Management Practices.
- Alderman, Delton, Jr..; Smith, Robert; Araman, Philip A. 2003. A Profile Of Cca-Treated Lumber Removed From Service In The Southeastern United States Decking Market.
- Alderman, Delton R., Jr..; Smith, Robert L.; Araman, Philip A. 2003. From A Contractors Perspective: What Is Needed To Recover Used Cca Treated Lumber.
|Construction-Sector Developments in Europe, 2012-2013|
A Forest Service scientist has analyzed the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe area's housing construction market.
|Vital Information About the Housing Market Made Available to Stakeholders|
Historically, the U. S. housing segment utilizes a substantial quantity of forest products. A Forest Service scientist analyzed the pertinent da ...