Carl N. Skinner
3644 Avtech Parkway
Redding, CA 96002
Contact Carl N. Skinner
- Blacks Mountain Interdisciplinary Research
- Goosenest AMA Research Project
- National Fire & Fire Surrogates Study
- Sensitivity of Klamath Forests To Long-term Changes in Climate and Disturbance Regime
- Fire/climate interactions and predicting fire season severity in the Mediterranean climate areas of Calif.,S.Oregon,and W.Nevada
- Holocene history of the influence of climatic variation on vegetation change and fire activity in northern California
- Long-term forest dynamics, particularly at stand to landscape scales. Emphasis area is fire history and fire ecology especially the influence of fire on long-term dynamics of forest development.
- Several landscape-scale fire-history/forest-dynamics studies are currently in various stages of completion for areas in the Klamath Mountains (in cooperation with Alan H. Taylor, Penn. St. Univ.) and at the Blacks Mountain Experimental Forest and the Goosenest Adaptive Management Area (in cooperation with C. Phillip Weatherspoon, PSW Redding) on the eastside of the Southern Cascades.
- The influences of long-term climate variation and disturbance history on vegetation dynamics in the Klamath Mountains are being investigated in cooperation with Cathy Whitlock (Univ. of Oregon). This study is using data derived from tree-ring and lake-sediment core analysis to interpret fire and climatic influences on vegetation dynamics over 1000s of years in several lake basins. The lake basins were chosen to contrast long-term environmental variation in basins with strong north, south, east, and west orientation.
- The forests of the Sierra San Pedro Martir (SSPM) of northern Baja California, Mexico are unusual among forests of western North American because they have not been harvested and have not been influenced by systematic fire suppression. The species found there are common in forests of much of California. Some have suggested these forests may serve as reference conditions for forests of the Sierra Nevada. A dendrochonological fire history of the SSPM is ongoing in cooperation with Scott L. Shephens (Univ. of California, Berkeley).
- The pre fire suppression fire histories of the Transverse Ranges and Peninsular Ranges of southern California are poorly known. A fire history study of these mountains, funded by the Joint Fire Sciences Program, is being undertaken in cooperation with Scott Stephens.
- better understanding of fire and climate interactions in the Mediterranean Climate area of the Pacific Coast of North America may help to predict problematic fire years up to 1 to 2 years in advance (in cooperation with Alan Taylor and Andrew Carleton of Penn. State Univ. and Scott Stephens of Univ. Calif., Berkeley) -- Funded by Joint Fire Science Program.
In the future, Skinner plans to continue researching the influences of climatic variation on fire regimes and their combined influences on forest vegetation dynamics.
- Association for Fire Ecology, Member
- International Association for Landscape Ecology, Member
- Tree-Ring Society, Member
Publications & Products
- Knapp, Eric E.; Skinner, Carl N.; North, Malcolm P.; Estes, Becky L. 2013. Long-term overstory and understory change following logging and fire exclusion in a Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer forest.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Knapp, Eric E.; Skinner, Carl N. 2013. Snag longevity and surface fuel accumulation following post-fire logging in a ponderosa pine dominated forest.
- McIver, James D.; Stephens, Scott L.; Agee, James K.; Barbour, Jamie; Boerner, Ralph E. J.; Edminster, Carl B.; Erickson, Karen L.; Farris, Kerry L.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Fiedler, Carl E.; Haase, Sally; Hart, Stephen C.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; Lehmkuhl, John F.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Otrosina, William; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Schwilk, Dylan W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Weatherspoon, C. Phillip; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Youngblood, Andrew; Zack, Steve. 2012. Ecological effects of alternative fuel-reduction treatments: highlights of the National Fire and Fire Surrogate study (FFS).
- Stephens, Scott L.; Boerner, Ralph E. J.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Moghaddas, Emily E. Y.; Collins, Brandon M.; Dow, Christopher B.; Edminster, Carl; Fiedler, Carl E.; Fry, Danny L.; Hartsough, Bruce R.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; McIver, James D.; Skinner, Carl N.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2012. Fuel treatment impacts on estimated wildfire carbon loss from forests in Montana, Oregon, California, and Arizona.
- Estes, Becky L.; Knapp, Eric E.; Skinner, Carl N.; Uzoh, Fabian C. C. 2012. Seasonal variation in surface fuel moisture between unthinned and thinned mixed conifer forest, northern California, USA.
- Knapp, Eric E.; Weatherspoon, Phillip C.; Skinner, Carl N. 2012. Shrub seed banks in mixed conifer forests of northern California and the role of fire in regulating abundance.
- Miller, J. D.; Skinner, Carl; Safford, H. D.; Knapp, Eric E.; Ramirez, C. M. 2012. Trends and causes of severity, size, and number of fires in northwestern California, USA.
- Knapp, Eric; Varner, J. Morgan; Busse, Matt; Skinner, Carl; Shestak, Carol. 2011. Behaviour and effects of prescribed fire in masticated fuelbeds.
- Briles, Christy E.; Whitlock, Cathy; Skinner, Carl N.; Mohr, Jerry. 2011. Holocene forest development and maintenance on different substrates in the Klamath mountains, northern California, USA.
- Miesel, J. R.; Boerner, R. E. J.; Skinner, C. N. 2011. Soil nitrogen mineralization and enzymatic activities in fire and fire surrogate treatments in California.
- Perry, David; Hessburg, Paul; Skinner, Carl; Spies, Thomas; Stephens, Scott; Taylor, Alan Henry; Franklin, Jerry; McComb, Brenda; Riegel, Greg. 2011. The ecology of mixed severity fire regimes in Washington, Oregon, and Northern California.
- Trouet, Valerie; Taylor, Alan H.; Wahl, Eugene R.; Skinner, Carl N. 2010. Fire-climate interactions in the American west since 1400 CE.
- Stephens, Scott L.; Fry, Danny L.; Collins, Brandon M.; Skinner, Carl N.; Franco-Vizcaino, Ernesto; Freed, Travis J. 2010. Fire-scar formation in Jeffrey pine - mixed conifer forests in the Sierra San Pedro Martir, Mexico.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Powers, Robert F.; Skinner, Carl N. 2010. To manage or not to manage: The role of silviculture in sequestering carbon in the specter of climate change.
- Miller, Jay D.; Knapp, Eric E.; Key, Carl H.; Skinner, Carl N.; Isbell, Clint J.; Creasy, R. Max; Sherlock, Joseph W. 2009. Calibration and validation of the relative differenced Normalized Burn Ratio (RdNBR) to three measures of fire severity in the Sierra Nevada and Klamath Mountains, California, USA.
- Knapp, Eric E.; Estes, Becky L.; Skinner, Carl N. 2009. Ecological effects of prescribed fire season: a literature review and synthesis for managers.
- Uzoh, Fabian C. C.; Skinner, Carl N. 2009. Effects of creating two forest structures and using prescribed fire on coarse woody debris in northeastern California, USA.
- Stephens, Scott L.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Edminster, Carl; Fiedler, Carl E.; Haase, Sally; Harrington, Michael; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; McIver, James D.; Metlen, Kerry; Skinner, Carl N.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2009. Fire treatment effects on vegetation structure, fuels, and potential fire severity in western U.S. forests.
- Skinner, Carl; Abbott, Celeste; Fry, Danny; Stephens, Scott; Taylor, Alan; Trouet, Valerie. 2009. Human and climatic influences on fire occurrence in California's north coast range.
- Trouet, Valerie; Taylor, Alan H.; Carleton, Andrew M.; Skinner, Carl N. 2009. Interannual variations in fire weather, fire extent, and synoptic-scale circulation patterns in northern California and Oregon.
- Miesel, Jessica; Boerner, Ralph; Skinner, Carl. 2009. Mechanical restoration of California mixed-conifer forests: does it matter which trees are cut?.
- Schwilk, Dylan W.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; Mciver, James; Bailey, John D.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Fiedler, Carl E.; Harrod, Richy J.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Stephens, Scott L.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2009. The national Fire and Fire Surrogate study: effects of fuel reduction methods on forest vegetation structure and fuels.
- Taylor, A. H.; Trouet, V. ; Skinner, C. N. 2008. Climatic influences on fire regimes in montane forests of the southern Cascades, California, USA.
- Symons, Julie N.; Fairbanks, Dean H. K.; Skinner, Carl N. 2008. Influences of stand structure and fuel treatments on wildfire severity at Blacks Mountain Experimental Forest, northeastern California.
- Schmidt, David A.; Taylor, Alan H.; Skinner, Carl N. 2008. The influence of fuels treatment and landscape arrangement on simulated fire behavior, southern Cascade Range, California.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Bigler-Cole, Heidi; Fettig, Christopher J.; Fiedler, Carl; Knapp, Eric E.; Lehmkuhl, John F.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Stephens, Scott L.; Waldrop, Thomas A. 2007. Making fire and fire surrogate science available: a summary of regional workshops with clients.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Hamilton, Todd A. 2007. Probability of wildfire-induced tree mortality in an interior pine forest of northern California: effects of thinning and prescribed fire.
- Skinner, Carl N. 2007. Silviculture and forest management under a rapidly changing climate.
- Trouet, Valerie; Taylor, Alan H.; Carleton, Andrew M.; Skinner, Carl N. 2006. Fire-climate interactions in forests of the American Pacific Coast.
- Skinner, Carl N.; Taylor, Alan H.; Agee, James K. 2006. Klamath Mountains bioregion.
- Riegel, Gregg M.; Miller, Richard F.; Skinner, Carl N.; Smith, Sydney E. 2006. Northeastern plateaus bioregion.
- Skinner, Carl N.; Taylor, Alan H. 2006. Southern cascades bioregion.
- Agee, James K.; Skinner, Carl N. 2005. Basic principles of forest fuel reduction treatments.
- Skinner, Carl N. 2005. Reintroducing fire into the Blacks Mountain Research Natural Area: effects on fire hazard.
- Whitlock, Cathy; Skinner, Carl N.; Bartlein, Patrick J.; Minckley, Thomas ; Mohr, Jerry A. 2004. Comparison of charcoal and tree-ring records of recent fires in the eastern Klamath Mountains, California, USA.
- Skinner, Carl N.; Stephens, Scott L. 2004. Fire in the Sierra Nevada.
- Stephens, Scott L.; Skinner, Carl N.; Gill, Samantha J. 2003. A dendrochronology based fire history of Jeffry pine-mixed conifer forests in the Sierra San Pedro Martir, Mexico.
- Skinner, Carl N. 2003. A tree-ring based fire history of riparian reserves in the Klamath Mountains..
- Taylor, Alan H.; Skinner, Carl N. 2003. Spatial patterns and controls on historical fire regimes and forest structure in the Klamath Mountains.
- Skinner, Carl N. 2002. Influence of fire on dead woody material in forests of California and southwestern Oregon.
- Mohr, Jerry A.; Whitlock, Cathy; Skinner, Carl N. 2000. Postglacial vegetation and fire history, eastern Klamath Mountains, California, USA.
- Agee, James K.; Bahro, Bernie; Finney, Mark A.; Omi, Philip N.; Sapsis, David B.; Skinner, Carl N.; van Wagtendonk, Jan W.; Weatherspoon, C. Phillip. 2000. The use of shaded fuelbreaks in landscape fire management.
- Zack, Steve; Laudenslayer, William F.; George, Luke; Skinner, Carl; Oliver, William. 1999. A Prospectus on Restoring Late Successional Forest Structure to Eastside Pine Ecosystems Through Large-Scale, Interdisciplinary Research.
- Taylor, Alan H.; Skinner, Carl N. 1998. Fire history and landscape dynamics in a late-successional reserve in the Klamath Mountains, California, USA.
- Lind, Amy; Verner, Jared; Millar, Constance; Zielinski, William; Rowntree, Rowan; Ziemer, Robert; Skinner, Carl. 1998. Sierra Nevada Science Review.
- Millar, Constance; Lind, Amy; Rowntree, Rowan; Skinner, Carl; Verner, Jared; Zielinski, William J.; Ziemer, Robert R. 1998. Sierra Nevada Science Review. Report of the Science Review Team charged to synthesize new information of rangewide urgency to the national forests of the Sierra Nevada..
- Skinner, Carl N.; Chang, Chiru. 1996. Fire regimes, past and present.
- Weatherspoon, C. Phillip; Skinner, Carl N. 1996. Landscape-level strategies for forest fuel management..
- Weatherspoon, C. Phillip; Skinner, Carl N. 1995. An assessment of factors associated with damage to tree crowns from the 1987 wildfires in northern California.
- Skinner, Carl N. 1995. Change in spatial characteristics of forest openings in the Klamath Mountains of northwestern California, USA.
- Laudenslayer, William F.; Skinner, Carl N. 1995. PAST CLIMATES, FORESTS, AND DISTURBANCES OF THE SIERRA NEVADA, CALIFORNIA: UNDERSTANDING THE PAST TO MANAGE FOR THE FUTURE.
- McDonald, Philip M.; Skinner, Carl N.; Fiddler, Gary O. 1992. Ponderosa pine needle length: an early indicator of release treatment effectiveness.
- Weatherspoon, C. Phillip; Almond, George A.; Skinner, Carl N. 1989. Tree-centered spot firing - a technique for prescribed burning beneath standing trees..
|Science Synthesis for Forest Plan Revision||2012|
|The responses of ecosystems to climate change is influenced by geology and soils|
Land managers should be aware of the potential for very different ecological responses to climate change dependent upon soil nutrient status. Nu ...
|Wildfire Can Benefit Landscapes and Reduce Threats to Local Communities|
Scientists determine that managing wildfire across large portions of Sierra Nevada forests may alleviate the current hazardous fuels problem tha ...