Charles C Rhoades
240 W. Prospect
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Charles C Rhoades
Watershed Biogeochemistry Research examines the atmospheric, terrestrial, and aquatic processes that regulate soil and water quality and that sustain forest productivity. In snow-dominated watersheds of the central Rockies, the biogeochemical consequences of climate change, wildfire and insect outbreak are poorly understood. Research evaluate the elemental links between atmospheric deposition, vegetation and soil nutrient retention and transformation, and streamwater export. Study findings increase understanding of the natural range of variability in watershed processes and support efforts to monitor the consequences of management manipulations and assess the success of restoration treatments. Such work is also integral to long-term monitoring of Fraser Experimental Forest watersheds. Specific studies consider the influence of: Bark beetle outbreak on water quality and nutrient export, Headwater springs on basin-scale streamwater chemistry, Atmospheric dust deposition on snowpack chemistry, Snow redistribution on alpine biogeochemistry, Wildfire severity on streamwater chemistry Research Supporting Sound Resource Management Efforts to improve the health of western forests by reducing hazardous fuel loads, decommissioning roads or treating insect infestations will benefit from better understanding of the interplay between natural ecosystem dynamics and management actions. Biogeochemical research helps land managers evaluate how well watershed conservation practices protect water quality and other aquatic resources. Specific studies assess: The effectiveness of riparian buffers at reducing water quality degradation caused by sediment and nutrient movement during timber harvesting operations. How recovery of soil nitrogen cycling processes regulates post-harvest nutrient retention and leaching in subalpine forests. The consequences of post-beetle outbreak salvage logging on soil and forest productivity. How mechanical fuel reduction alters water quality, soil productivity and forest regeneration.
- Colorado State University, BS Forest Management, 1984
- Colorado State University, MS Forest Ecology, 1992
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Forest Biogeochemistry and Soil Ecology, 1997
Featured Publications & Products
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2011. Tree regeneration and future stand development after bark beetle infestation and harvesting in Colorado lodgepole pine stands.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Entwistle, Deborah; Butler, Dana. 2011. The influence of wildfire extent and severity on streamwater chemistry, sediment and temperature following the Hayman Fire, Colorado.
- Fornwalt, Paula J.; Rhoades, Charles C. 2011. Rehabilitating slash pile burn scars in upper montane forests of the Colorado Front Range.
- Nelson, Monique LaPerriere; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2011. Influence of bedrock geology on water chemistry of slope wetlands and headwater streams in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Battaglia, Mike A.; Rocca, Monique E.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Ryan, Michael G. 2010. Surface fuel loadings within mulching treatments in Colorado coniferous forests.
Publications & Products
- Rhoades, Charles C.; McCutchan, James H.; Cooper, Leigh A.; Clow, David; Detmer, Thomas M.; Briggs, Jennifer S.; Stednick, John D.; Veblen, Thomas T.; Ertz, Rachel M.; Likensh, Gene E.; Lewis, William M. 2013. Biogeochemistry of beetle-killed forests: Explaining a weak nitrate response.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Elder, Kelly; Negron, Jose. 2013. Changes in transpiration and foliage growth in lodgepole pine trees following mountain pine beetle attack and mechanical girdling.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; West, Daniel R.; Battaglia, Mike A; Costello, Sheryl L.; Negrón, José F.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Popp, John; Caissie, Rick. 2013. Mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine: mortality and fire implications (Project INT-F-07-03).
- Argerich, A.; Johnson, S.L.; Sebestyen, S.D.; Rhoades, C.C.; Greathouse, E.; Knoepp, J.D.; Adams, M.B.; Likens, G.E.; Campbell, J.L.; McDowell, W.H.; Scatena, F.N.; Ice, G.G. 2013. Trends in stream nitrogen concentrations for forested reference catchments across the USA.
- Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, Chuck; Chambers, Carl; Elder, Kelly; Pierson, Derek; Starr, Banning. 2012. Nutrient and carbon retention in riparian and hillslope forests after mountain pine beetle infestation and timber harvesting in Colorado (Abstract).
- Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Rocca, M. E.; Ryan, M. G. 2012. Short- and medium-term effects of fuel reduction mulch treatments on soil nitrogen availability in Colorado conifer forests.
- Collins, B. J.; Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Hubbard, R. M. 2012. The effects of bark beetle outbreaks on forest development, fuel loads and potential fire behavior in salvage logged and untreated lodgepole pine forests.
- Andrews, Danielle M.; Barton, Christopher D.; Kolka, Randall K.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dattilo, Adam J. 2011. Soil and water characteristics in restored canebrake and forest riparian zones.
- Stone, Katharine R.; Pilliod, David S.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wollrab, Sherry P.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Fuel reduction management practices in riparian areas of the western USA.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Underhill, Jeffrey; Hubbard, Robert M. 2010. Post-harvest seedling recruitment following mountain pine beetle infestation of Colorado lodgepole pine stands: A comparison using historic survey records.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Potential effects of fuel management activities on riparian areas.
- Fabio, Eric S.; Arthur, Mary A.; Rhoades, Charles C. 2009. Influence of moisture regime and tree species composition on nitrogen cycling dynamics in hardwood forests of Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky, USA.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Negron, Jose F.; Costello, Sheryl L.; Rhoades, Charles C.; West, Daniel R.; Popp, John; Caissie, Rick. 2009. Stand characteristics and downed woody debris accumulations associated with a mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins) outbreak in Colorado.
- Rhoades, Chuck; Loftis, David; Lewis, Jeffrey; Clark, Stacy. 2009. The influence of silvicultural treatments and site conditions on American chestnut (Castanea dentata) seedling establishment in eastern Kentucky, USA.
- Callaham, Mac A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Heneghan, Liam. 2008. A striking profile: Soil ecological knowledge in restoration management and science.
- Heneghan, Liam; Miller, Susan P.; Baer, Sara; Callaham, Mac A.; Montgomery, James; Pavao-Zuckerman, Mitchell; Rhoades, Charles C.; Richardson, Sarah. 2008. Integrating soil ecological knowledge into restoration management.
- Seo, Kyung Won; Son, Yowhan; Rhoades, Charles C.; Noh, Nam Jin; Koo, Jin Woo; Kim, Jeong-Gyu. 2008. Seedling growth and heavy metal accumulation of candidate woody species for revegetating Korean mine spoils.
- Rhoades, Charles; Binkley, Dan; Oskarsson, Hlynur; Stottlemyer, Robert. 2008. Soil nitrogen accretion along a floodplain terrace chronosequence in northwest Alaska: Influence of the nitrogen-fixing shrub Shepherdia Canadensis.
- Elder, Kelly; Dwire, Kate; Hubbard, Robert; Rhoades, Charles; Ryan, Sandra; Young, Mike; Porth, Laurie; Dixon, Mark; Goodbody, Angue. 2006. Second interagency conference on research in the watersheds.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Ryan, Michael G.; Elder, Kelly; Rhoades, Charles C. 2005. Seasonal patterns in soil surface CO2 flux under snow cover in 50 and 300 year old subalpine forests.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Meier, A. J.; Rebertus, A. J. 2004. Soil properties in fire-consumed log burnout openings in a Missouri oak savanna.