Research Biological Scientist
Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Contact Chris Maier
Stand-level carbon cycling in loblolly pine in response to changes in nutrient and moisture availability, focusing on physiological mechanisms. Characterization of growth, carbon exchange and carbon allocation of loblolly pine under varied nutrient and atmospheric CO2, understanding the relationship between tissue carbohydrate dynamics and terminal shoot growth.
- North Carolina State University, Ph.D. Forest Biology, 2000
- University of Georgia, M.S. Forest Biology, 1990
- West Georgia College, B.S. Biology, 1983
Featured Publications & Products
- Clinton, Barton ; Maier, Chris ; Ford, Chelcy ; Mitchell, Robert . 2011. Transient changes in transpiration, and stem and soil CO2 efflux in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) following fire-induced leaf area reduction.
- Pritchard, Seth G.; Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Grabman, Andrea J.; Chalmers, Anne P.; Burke, Marianne K. 2010. Soil incorporation of logging residue affects fine-root and mycorrhizal root-tip dynamics of young loblolly pine clones.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2010. Quantifying carbon sequestration in forest plantations by modeling the dynamics of above and below ground carbon pools.
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris. 2010. Effects of nutrient and organic matter manipulation on carbon pools and fluxes in a young loblolly pine varietal stand on the lower coastal plain of South Carolina.
- Domec, Jean-Christophe; Palmroth, Sari; Ward, Eric; Maier, Chris; Therezien, M.; Oren, Ram. 2009. Acclimation of leaf hydraulic conductance and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated CO2 (free-air CO2 enrichment) and N-fertilizationpce.
Publications & Products
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris. 2013. Site-specific forest management: matching genotypes and silviculture to optimize carbon sequestration.
- Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Dougherty, Phillip; McInnis, Daniel; Anderson, Pete; Patterson, Steve. 2012. Effect of Harvest Residue Management on Tree Productivity and Carbon Pools during Early Stand Development in a Loblolly Pine Plantation.
- Tyree, Michael C; Seiler, John R; Maier, Christopher. 2011. Short-term impacts of soil amendments on belowground C cycling and soil nutrition in two contrasting Pinus taeda L. genotypes.
- Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris; Johnsen, Kurt. 2009. Pinus taeda clones and soil nutrient availability: effects of soil organic matter incorporation and fertilization on biomass partitioning and leaf physiology.
- Gough, Christopher M.; Seiler, John R.; Wiseman, P. Eric; Maier, Christopher A. 2005. Soil CO2 efflux in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) plantations on the virginia Piedmond and South Carolina coastal plain over a rotation-length chronosequence.
- Booker, Fitzgerald L.; Maier, Christopher A. 2001. Atmospheric carbon dioxide, irrigation, and fertilization effects on phenolic and nitrogen concentrations in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) needles.