Carolyn T. Hunsaker
2081 East Sierra Ave
Contact Carolyn T. Hunsaker
- The Kings River Experimental Watershed (KREW) is being developed to: (1) quantify the variability in characteristics of stream ecosystems and their associated watersheds in the southern Sierra Nevada; and (2) evaluate the effects of forest management (prescribed fire and uneven-aged, small group tree thinning) on the physical, chemical, and biological components of stream ecosystems.
- Forest Structure from Remotely Sensed Imagery. Radar and laser altimetry (Lidar) are being investigated for their ability to characterize forest structure at multiple spatial scales. Such data could be used for monitoring changes in forests and for describing habitat for organisms such as owls, goshawks, and fisher.
My general research interests are in (1) stream ecosystems and watersheds and (2) landscape ecology.
In the future, I plan to continue examining ecosystems holistically at the watershed scale, rather than as a series of disparate parts. I also will be evaluating approaches to managing forests that are subjected to multiple stressors, such as climate change and air pollution.
The Kings River Sustainable Forest Ecosystem Project was established in 1994 to investigate the use of management tools, prescribed fire and uneven-aged, small group tree thinning, for creating a landscape mosaic that mimics the historical distribution of vegetation resulting from frequent, low-intensity fires prevalent before European settlement of the West. It is a joint effort between Pacific Southwest Research Station and the Sierra National Forest. Several long-term research studies exist within the Project: California spotted owl demographic study (11 years), forest bird study (7 years), and Kings River Experimental watershed (KREW) study (2 years).
- University of California, Doctor of Environmental Science and Engineering , 1980
- Loma Linda University, Biology , 1976
- Pacific Union College, Biology , 1974
- Ecological Society of America, Senior Ecologist (1993 - current)
- Institute of Professional Environmental Practice, Qualified Environmental Professional (1994 - current)
- American Geophysical Union, Member
- Association for Women in Science, Member
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, Member
- American Institute of Biological Sciences, Member
- Water Environment Federation, Member
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- International Association for Landscape Ecology, Member
Awards & Recognition
- Award, 1997
YWCA Tribute to Women Award in science and technology, Knoxville, TN,
- Award, 1997
Distinguished and Sustained Scientific Contributions Award, East Tennessee Chapter of Association for Women in Science
- Award, 1994
Martin Marietta Energy Systems, Technical Achievement Award
- Award, 1991
Service Award, Water Pollution Control Federation
- Award, 1987
Distinguished Service Award, East Tennessee Chapter of Association for Women in Science
Featured Publications & Products
- Liu, Fengjing; Hunsaker, Carolyn; Bales, Roger C. 2012. Controls Of Streamflow Generation In Small Catchments Across The Snow-Rain Transition In The Southern Sierra Nevada, California.
- Johnson, D.W.; Hunsaker, C.T.; Glass, D.W.; Rau, B.M.; Roath, B.A. 2011. Carbon And Nutrient Contents In Soils From The Kings River Experimental Watersheds, Sierra Nevada Mountains, California.
- Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Long, Jonathan W. 2014. Forested Riparian Areas.
- Long, J.W.; Skinner, Carl; North, M.; Hunsaker, C.T.; Quinn-Davidson, L. 2014. Integrative Approaches: Promoting Socioecological Resilience.
- Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Long, Jonathan W.; Herbst, David B. 2014. Watershed And Stream Ecosystems.
- Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Neary, Daniel G. 2012. Sediment Loads And Erosion In Forest Headwater Streams Of The Sierra Nevada, California.
- Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Whitaker, Thomas W.; Bales, Roger C. 2012. Snowmelt Runoff And Water Yield Along Elevation And Temperature Gradients In California'S Southern Sierra Nevada.
- Bales, Roger C.; Conklin, Martha H.; Kerkez, Branko; Glaser, Steven; Hopmans, Jan W.; Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Meadows, Matt; Hartsough, Peter C. 2011. Chapter 2: Sampling Strategies In Forest Hydrology And Biogeochemistry.
- Bales, Roger C.; Hopmans, Jan W.; O’Geen, Anthony T.; Meadows, Matthew; Hartsough, Peter C.; Kirchner, Peter; Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Beaudette, Dylan. 2011. Soil Moisture Response To Snowmelt And Rainfall In A Sierra Nevada Mixed-Conifer Forest.
- Johnson, D.W.; Fenn, M.E.; Miller, W.W.; Hunsaker, C.T. 2009. Fire Effects On Carbon And Nitrogen Cycling In Forests Of The Sierra Nevada.
- Bergen, K.M.; Goetz, S.J.; Dubayah, R.O.; Henebry, G.M.; Hunsaker, C.T.; Imhoff, M.L.; Nelson, R.F.; Parker, G.G.; Radeloff, V.C. . 2009. Remote Sensing Of Vegetation 3-D Structure For Biodiversity And Habitat: Review And Implications For Lidar And Radar Spaceborne Missions.
- Brown, Larry R.; May, Jason T.; Hunsaker, Carolyn T. 2008. Species Composition And Habitat Associations Of Benthic Algal Assemblages In Headwater Streams Of The Sierra Nevada, California.
- Hunsaker, Carolyn; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Auman, Jessica; Cisneros, Ricardo. 2007. Air Pollution And Watershed Research In The Central Sierra Nevada Of California: Nitrogen And Ozone.
- Eagan, S.M.; Hunsaker, C.T.; Dolanc, C.R.; Lynch, M.E.; Johnson, C.R. 2007. Discharge And Sediment Loads At The Kings River Experimental Forest In The Southern Sierra Nevada Of California.
- Dolanc, Christopher R.; Hunsaker, Carolyn T. 2007. Riparian And Upland Vegetation On The Kings River Experimental Watershed, Sierra Nevada, California.
- Hunsaker, C.T.; Eagan, S.M. 2003. Small Stream Ecosystem Variability In The Sierra Nevada Of California.
- O'Neill, Robert V.; Hunsaker, Carolyn T.; Jones, K. Bruce; Riitters, Kurt H.; Wickham, James D.; Schwartz, Paul M.; Goodman, Iris A.; Jackson, Barbara L.; Baillargeon, William S. 1997. Monitoring Environmental Quality At The Landscape Scale.