Christopher C. Witt
322 East Front Street, Surit 401
Boise, ID 83702
I am currently focused on developing tools that quantify habitat for forest vertebrates listed as threatened, endangered or of special concern by state and /or federal management agencies. I am also working on trend models that can show resource managers which structural characteristics a species' habitat is limiting or is changing in abundance over time.
My interests include creating economically friendly modeling tools that resource managers can access at any time to assess the state of a species' habitat at large scales (landscape, state, ecoregions). I am also interested in tracking changes in forest structure over time as it relates vertebrate species habitat.
This research provides cost-effective habitat assessment and monitoring tools that are accessible to anyone. By using publically available Forest Inventory and Analysis data and leveraging it against state and local species occurrence information, I provide habitat estimation and trend analysis tools that can be used repeatedly over time with little cost or no financial burden to the user. This has fostered partnerships between federal, state, and local governments as well as academic institutions and non-government organizations that provide species information and input on model validity and utility.
Why This Research is Important
Effect of isolation on small mammals in a sage-steppe matrixQuantification of nesting habitat for Lewis' woodpecker in UtahAssessment of seasonal habitat for mule deer in pinyon-juniper woodlands containing sagebrushPredicting occurrence of heartrot fungus in aspen and its implications to cavity-nesting birds
- Idaho State University, BS Ecology,
- Idaho State University, MS Population ecology,
Featured Publications & Products
- Witt, Chris; Patterson, Paul L. 2011. Big sagebrush in pinyon-juniper woodlands: Using forest inventory and analysis data as a management tool for quantifying and monitoring mule deer habitat.
- DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Menlove, Jim; Thompson, Michael T.; Morgan, Todd A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Utah's forest resources, 2000-2005.
- Thompson, Michael T.; Duda, Joseph A.; DeBlander, Larry T.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Morgan, Todd A.; Amacher, Michael C. 2010. Colorado's forest resources, 2002-2006.
- Witt, Christopher; Shaw, John D. 2010. Characteristics of pinyon-juniper woodlands in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument: Changes since Monument establishment and prospects for future monitoring.
- Witt, Chris. 2010. Characteristics of aspen infected with heartrot: Implications for cavity-nesting birds.
Publications & Products
- Goeking, Sara A.; Shaw, John D.; Witt, Chris; Thompson, Michael T.; Werstak, Charles E., Jr..; Amacher, Michael C.; Stuever, Mary; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin B.; Hayes, Steven W.; McIver, Chelsea P. 2014. New Mexico’s forest resources, 2008-2012.
- Witt, Chris; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Goeking, Sara A.; Menlove, Jim; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Werstak, Charles, Jr. 2012. Idaho's Forest Resources, 2004-2009.
- Menlove, Jim; Shaw, John D.; Thompson, Michael T.; Witt, Chris; Amacher, Michael C.; Morgan, Todd A.; Sorenson, Colin; McIver, Chelsea; Werstak, Charles, Jr. 2012. Montana's forest resources, 2003-2009.