Christopher G. Hunt
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Christopher G. Hunt
Developing new probes for spatially profiling the reactive oxygen species used by fungi during wood degradation.
Understanding how infiltration of adhesives into cell walls along a bond line changes the properties of those cell walls, and how this influences adhesive performance.
Investigating ways to improve the performance on clear coatings on wood in exterior environments by manipulation of the wood substrate, rather than the finish.
Understanding mechanisms of sealant failure.
- Probes for quantitative mapping of reactive oxidants during wood decay
- Understanding the structure of wood and how this structure influences wood properties
- Interaction of wood with water, chemicals, and treatments
- Adhesive interactions and durability
- Coating interactions and durability
- Sealant interactions and durability
- Properties of modified wood and their interactions with adhesives and coating
I am interested in how the structure of wood cells influences the properties of wood and their interactions with other materials such as adhesives, coatings, sealants, water, or degradation agents. Understanding how these different materials interact with wood requires a deep understanding of wood itself. Therefore I am involved in fundamental studies of wood structure. Understanding the fine structure of wood provides clues as to how we can improve performance of wood based materials.
In order to understand the chemical mechanisms used by fungi to deconstruct lignocellulose, I am developing fluorescent sensors capable of making micron scale maps of reactive oxidants produced by fungi. My main collaborator on this project is Kenneth Hammel (FPL and U of Wisconsin).
Soy based adhesives: thermal and moisture properties
Mechanism of Biopulping (fungal treatment of wood chips before converting them paper)
Aging of paper
3D molding of pulp
Why This Research is Important
My research on wood properties allows companies to produce better quality, less expensive traditional wood products for American consumers. I also develop knowledge which will enables industry to create whole new materials from wood. This makes American forest products more attractive, bringing jobs and income to rural America while utilizing an abundant domestic renewable resource.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, PhD Analytical Chemistry, 2006
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, BS Physics and Mathematics Secondary Education, 1991
- Research Chemist, Forest Products Laboratory
2005 - Current
- Research Support, Forest Products Laboratory
1993 - 2004
Featured Publications & Products
- Hunt, Christopher G.; Jakes, Joseph E.; Grigsby, Warren. 2010. Evaluation of adhesive penetration of wood fibre by nanoindentation and microscopy.
- Yelle, Daniel J.; Kaparaju, Prasad; Hunt, Christopher G.; Hirth, Kolby; Kim, Hoon; Ralph, John; Felby, Claus. 2012. Two-Dimensional NMR Evidence for Cleavage of Lignin and Xylan Substituents in Wheat Straw Through Hydrothermal Pretreatment and Enzymatic Hydrolysis.
- Frihart, Charles; Hunt, Christopher; Yelle, Daniel; Jakes, Joseph. 2010. Improved methods for analyzing (bio)chemical interactions with wood.
- Wei, Dongsheng; Houtman, Carl J.; Kapich, Alexander N.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Cullen, Daniel; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2010. Laccase and its role in production of extracellular reactive oxygen species during wood decay by the brown rot basidiomycete Postia placenta.
- O'Dell, Jane L.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Frihart, Charles. 2010. Heat resistant sustainable adhesives based on soy.
Publications & Products
- Frihart, Charles R.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Birkeland, Michael J. 2014. Chapter 16: Soy Proteins as Wood Adhesives.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; O'Dell, Jane; Jakes, Joseph; Grigsby, Warren; Frihart, Charles R. 2014. Wood as Polar Size Exclusion Chromatography Media: Implications to Adhesive Performance.
- O’Dell, Jane L.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Frihart, Charles R. 2013. High temperature performance of soy-based adhesives.
- Jakes, Joseph E.; Plaza, Nayomi; Stone, Donald S.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Glass, Samuel V.; Zelinka, Samuel L. 2013. Mechanism of Transport Through Wood Cell Wall Polymers.
- Jakes, Joseph E.; Gleber, Sophie-Charlotte; Vogt, Stephan; Hunt, Chris G.; Yelle, Dan; Grigsby, Warren; Frihart, Chuck. 2013. New Syncrotron-Based Technique to Map Adhesive Infiltration in Wood Cell Walls.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; Houtman, Carl J.; Jones, Don C.; Kitin, Peter; Korripally, Premsagar; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2013. Spatial mapping of extracellular oxidant production by a white rot basidiomycete on wood reveals details of ligninolytic mechanism.
- Rohumaa, Anti; Hunt, Christopher G.; Hughes, Mark; Frihart, Charles R.; Logren, Janne. 2013. The influence of lathe check depth and orientation on the bond quality of phenol-formaldehyde-bonded birch plywood.
- Schuenemann, Gregory T.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Lacher, Steven; White, Chrisotpher C.; Hunston, Donald L. 2012. In situ measurement of compression set in building sealants during outdoor aging.
- Wang, Q.Q.; Zhu, J.Y.; Hunt, C.G.; Zhan, H.Y. 2012. Kinetics of adsorption, desorption, and readsorption of a commercial endoglucanase in lignocellulosic suspensions.
- Schueneman, Gregory T.; Lacher, Steven; Hunt, Christopher G.; White, Christopher C.; Hunston, Donald L. 2011. Durability of sealants exposed to outdoor weathering and hot compression cycles.
- Bonura, Tony; Dwyer, Jack; Nebelsick, Arnie; Stuart, Brent; Williams, R. Sam; Hunt, Christopher. 2011. Installation, care, and maintenance of wood shake and shingle roofs.
- Dwyer, Jack; Bonura, Tony; Nebelsick, Arnie; Williams, Sam; Hunt, Christopher G. 2011. Installation, care, and maintenance of wood shake and shingle siding.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Hunt, Christopher G. 2010. Adhesives with wood materials : bond formation and performance.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; O’Dell, Jane L.; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. High-temperature performance of soy adhesives.
- Hunt, Chris; Wescott, Jim; Lorenz, Linda. 2010. Soy adhesive-moisture interactions.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; Williams, R. Sam; Knaebe, Mark; Sotos, Peter; Lacher, Steven. 2009. Factors effecting paint performance on wood siding.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; Frihart, Charles; O'Dell, Jane. 2009. Heat resistant soy adhesives for structural wood products.
- Burke, Edward; Bonura, Tony; Carll, Charles G.; Connelly, Dennis; Hunt, Christopher; Mall, Doug; Nebelsick, Arnie; Slavik, Norm; Stuart, Brent; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Williams, R. Sam. 2009. Improving the performance of painted wood siding : rain screen, end-grain seal, and back priming.
- Perez-Roa, Rodolfo E.; Anderson, Marc A.; Rittschof, Dan; Hunt, Christopher G.; Noguera, Daniel R. 2009. Involvement of reactive oxygen species in the electrochemical inhibition of barnacle (Amphibalanus amphitrite) settlement.
- Beecher, James F.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Zhu, Junyong. 2009. Tools for the characterization of biomass at the nanometer scale.
- Hunt, Christopher G.; Brandon, Rishawn; Ibach, Rebecca E.; Frihart, Charles R. 2007. What does bonding to modified wood tell us about adhesion?.
- Suzuki, Melissa R.; Hunt, Christopher G.; Houtman, Carl J.; Dalebroux, Zachary D.; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2006. Fungal hydroquinones contribute to brown rot of wood.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Success of Wood Veneers Influenced by Harvesting Season and Temperature: Plywood Performance and Failure: A New Understanding|
Cooperation with Finnish researchers results in new understanding of relationships between veneer processing, veneer properties, and product fai ...