M.E. Casey Crooks
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Our research goals are to use genetic tools to identify important genes and gene products involved in wood decay and fermentation of cellulosic biomass. We seek to use a large scale genetic screening approach dependent on the development of high throughput transformation and subsequent high throughput phenotypic assays. This mass screening approach seeks to compliment the currently deployed biochip array and genomics based informatics to identify potentially valuable candidate genes and enzymes that might not otherwise be recognized.
- Molecular cloning and characterization of pyranose 2-oxidase gene from the brown rot fungus Gloeophyllum trabeum
- Molecular genetics of filamentous fungi, particularly Basidiomycetes
- Forward genetic identification of elements influencing ethanol production in Pichia stipitis for use in strain improvement.
- Functional genomics and bioinformatics related to lignocellulose-degrading fungi
- Improved transformation technologies for manipulation of white and brown rot fungi using biolistic bombardment.
- Whole genome expression microarray analysis and proteomics
- Heterologous expression systems
- Phanerochaete chrysosporium, Postia placenta, Ceriporiopsis subvermispora
Featured Publications & Products
- Dietrich, Diane; Crooks, Casey. 2009. Gene cloning and heterologous expression of pyranose 2-oxidase from the brown-rot fungus, Gloeophyllum trabeum.
- Fan, Jun; Hill, Lionel; Crooks, Casey; Doerner, Peter; Lamb, Chris. 2009. Abscisic acid has a key role in modulating diverse plant-pathogen interactions.
Publications & Products
- Dietrich, Diane; Illman, Barbara; Crooks, Casey. 2013. Differential sensitivity of polyhydroxyalkanoate producing bacteria to fermentation inhibitors and comparison of polyhydroxybutyrate production from Burkholderia cepacia and Pseudomonas pseudoflava.
- Ryu, Jae San; Shary, Semarjit; Houtman, Carl J.; Panisko, Ellen A.; Korripally, Premsagar; St. John, Franz J.; Crooks, Casey; Siika-aho, Matti; Magnuson, Jon K.; Hammel, Kenneth E. 2011. Proteomic and functional analysis of the cellulase system expressed by Postia placenta during brown rot of solid wood.
- Fan, Jun; Crooks, Casey; Creissen, Gary; Hill, Lionel; Fairhurst, Shirley; Doerner, Peter; Lamb, Chris. 2011. Pseudomonas sax genes overcome aliphatic isothiocyanate-mediated non-host resistance in Arabidopsis.