Clara A. Wheeler
1700 Bayview Drive
Arcata, CA 95521
Contact Clara A. Wheeler
I am currently an Ecologist at PSW-Arcata (formerly known as Redwood Sciences Laboratory). I received a bachelor's degree in Biology from The University of Montana and a master's degree in Wildlife Biology from Humboldt State University. My thesis research focused on the temporal breeding patterns and mating strategy of the Foothill Yellow-legged Frog (Rana boylii), a California State Species of Special Concern. Concurrent with this research, I collected data regarding other aspects of the reproductive ecology and behavior of this species. Here at PSW, I have had the opportunity to contribute to various amphibian and reptile projects. I have been involved in all aspects of research including data collection, data analysis and manuscript preparation.
My general research interest is in the ecology of amphibians and reptiles, with a particular interest in behavioral ecology. I have worked on projects examining the reproductive ecology of the Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog (Rana boylii), the movement ecology of the Oregon Garter Snake (Thamnophis atratus), and the diet habits and reproductive biology of the Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus).
- Humboldt State University, Master of Science Natural Resources - Wildlife Biology, 2007
- The University of Montana, Bachelor of Arts Environmental Biology and Zoological Sciences, 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Wheeler, C. A.; Lind, A. J. 2010. Spatial ecology of the aquatic garter snake, Thamnophis atratus, in a free-flowing stream environment.
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Pope, K. L.; Wheeler, C. A. 2009. How reliable are amphibian population metrics? A response to Kroll et al..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H. 2008. Mating strategy and breeding patterns of the foothill yellow-legged frog (Rana boylii).
- Garwood, Justin M.; Wheeler, Clara A.; Bourque, Ryan M.; Larson, Monty D.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 2007. Egg mass drift increases vulnerability during early development of Cascades frogs (Rana casadae)..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Karraker, Nancy E.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Ollivier, Lisa M. 2007. Diet of the Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus): Differences by age, gender, and season..
Publications & Products
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Ollivier, Lisa M. 2013. Reproductive biology of the Del Norte salamander (Plethodon elongatus)..