Clara A. Wheeler
1700 Bayview Drive
Contact Clara A. Wheeler
I am currently an Ecologist at PSW-Arcata (formerly known as Redwood Sciences Laboratory). I received a bachelor's degree in Biology from The University of Montana and a master's degree in Wildlife Biology from Humboldt State University. My thesis research focused on the temporal breeding patterns and mating strategy of the Foothill Yellow-legged Frog (Rana boylii), a California State Species of Special Concern. Concurrent with this research, I collected data regarding other aspects of the reproductive ecology and behavior of this species. Here at PSW, I have had the opportunity to contribute to various amphibian and reptile projects. I have been involved in all aspects of research including data collection, data analysis and manuscript preparation.
My general research interest is in the ecology of amphibians and reptiles, with a particular interest in behavioral ecology. I have worked on projects examining the reproductive ecology of the Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog (Rana boylii), the movement ecology of the Oregon Garter Snake (Thamnophis atratus), and the diet habits and reproductive biology of the Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon elongatus).
- Humboldt State University, M.S. Natural Resources - Wildlife Biology 2007
- The University of Montana, B.A. Environmental Biology and Zoological Sciences 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Wheeler, C. A.; Lind, A. J. 2010. Spatial Ecology Of The Aquatic Garter Snake, Thamnophis Atratus, In A Free-Flowing Stream Environment.
- Welsh, Hartwell H.; Pope, Karen L.; Wheeler, Clara A. 2009. How Reliable Are Amphibian Population Metrics A Response To Kroll Et Al..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H. 2008. Mating Strategy And Breeding Patterns Of The Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog (Rana Boylii).
- Garwood, Justin M.; Wheeler, Clara A.; Bourque, Ryan M.; Larson, Monty D.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 2007. Egg Mass Drift Increases Vulnerability During Early Development Of Cascades Frogs (Rana Casadae)..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Karraker, Nancy E.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Ollivier, Lisa M. 2007. Diet Of The Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon Elongatus): Differences By Age, Gender, And Season..
- Hayes, Marc P.; Wheeler, Clara A.; Lind, Amy J.; Green, Gregory A.; Macfarlane, Diane C. 2016. Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog Conservation Assessment In California.
- Lind, Amy; Welsh, Hart; Wheeler, Clara. 2015. Foothill Yellow-Legged Frog (Rana Boylii) Oviposition Site Choice At Multiple Spatial Scales.
- Wheeler, Clara; Bettaso, James; Ashton, Donald; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2014. Effects Of Water Temperature On Breeding Phenology, Growth, And Metamorphosis Of Foothill Yellow-Legged Frogs (Rana Boylii): A Case Study Of The Regulated Mainstem And Unregulated Tributaries Of California'S Trinity River.
- Wheeler, Clara; Bettaso, James; Ashton, Donald; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2013. Effects Of Water Temperature On Breeding Phenology, Growth And Timing Of Metamorphosis Of Foothill Yellow-Legged Frogs (Rana Boylii) On The Mainstem And Selected Tributaries Of California'S Trinity River - 2004-2009..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Ollivier, Lisa M. 2013. Reproductive Biology Of The Del Norte Salamander (Plethodon Elongatus)..