One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact Bessie Woodward
Current research interest addresses the development of new methodologies for the evaluation of the long-term performance of wood protection systems and the accurate prediction of the performance durability of forest products.
Research interest involves the use of laboratory and field tests to evaluate the performance of wood protection systems and the durability of wood products, and the maintenance of the microorganisms used in these evaluations.
Past research involved:
1. The modification of pure culture laboratory soil-block tests to evaluate test samples of various sizes, including cross-sections of shakes and shingles.
2. The screening of copper tolerant fungi to determine their viability for use as composting agents for treated wood.
3. The evaluation of under utilized wood species, wood plastic composites, wood roofing material and oriented strand board to fungal decay.
4. The efficacy of alternative wood protection systems, including combined systems (fire retardants + wood preservative mix), copper based systems and natural decay resistance of heartwood from dead yellow-cedar trees.
Why This Research is Important
This research is important because it determines the durability of alternative wood species, new wood products and the efficacy of wood protection systems to meet the preservation needs of the changing forest resources.
- Southern University, Baton Rouge, LA, Bachelor Of Science Microbiology Computer Programming, Madison Area Technical College (1986-1988); Graduate Studies in Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin (1993-1995) 1979
- Research Support Microbiologist - GS-12, USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
1996 - Current
Duties involved conducting laboratory work with wood decay fungi in connection with scientific research on the protection of wood. Conduct field inspection of treated material installed at the Harrison Experimental Forest. Characterized methodology for uniformity in monitoring weight loss in accelerated decay test. Develop methodology for introduction of fungal decay in large wood specimen to be monitor by pulse echo parameter and investigates the mycoaccumulation of copper from treated wood by isolates of Wolfiporia cocos.
- Research Support Microbiologist - GS 11, USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
1985 - 1994
Duties involved conducting microbiological experiments involving techniques and procedures for the maintenance of pure culture, isolation and preliminary identification of unknowns, testing cultures for their ability of decay wood and developing laboratory test for evaluation of wood preservatives and field evaluation of experimental material.
- Research Support Microbiologist - GS-9, USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
1982 - 1984
- Research Support Microbiologist - GS7, USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
1981 - 1981
- Biological Lab Technician , USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory
1980 - 1980
- American Wood Protection Association, Honorary Member (2000 - Current)
Member of Executive Committee 2006-2011, AWPA 3rd Vice President 2006-2007, AWPA 2nd Vice President 2007-2008, AWPA 1st Vice President 2008-2009, AWPA President 2009 - 2010 and AWPA Past President 2010-2011
- American Sociaty For Microbiology, Member (1995 - 2003)
Presenter at poster session
Awards & Recognition
- Length of Service, 2015
Awarded in recognition of thirty-five years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Honorary Membership, 2011
This award certify that Bessie M. Woodward is and Honorary Member of the American Wood Protection Association
- Certificate of Merit, 2010
For role in safely relocating laboratory equipment to the CRF without negative impact on normal duties resulting in substantial savings for the Forest Products Laboratory
- Length of Service, 2010
Awarded in recognition of thirty years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Length of Service, 2005
Awarded in recognition of twenty-five years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Length of Service, 2000
Awarded in recognition of twenty years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Certificate of Merit, 1996
For performance substantially exceeding the normal requirements of the job and it is expected that this performance will be sustained in the future.
- Certificate of Merit, 1995
For performance substantially exceeding the normal requirements of the job, and it is expected that this performance will be sustained into the future.
- Length of Service, 1995
Awarded in recognition of fifteen years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Certificate of Merit, 1994
For outstanding technology transfer and teamwork in developing new strategic directions for Wood Preservation Research
- Certificate of Merit, 1990
In recognition of efforts in the western white wood program
- Certificate of Merit, 1990
For the continued performance of duties of the position at a high level of effectiveness.
- Length of Service, 1990
Awarded in recognition of ten years of service in the Government of the United States of America.
- Certificate of Merit, 1983
For personal initiative in establishing a new study in the Panamanian rain forest.
Featured Publications & Products
- Lebow, Stan T.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Woodward, Bessie. 2010. Long-Term Durability Of Cca And Aca : How Is 0.4 Doing.
- Coleman, Robert; Yang, Vina; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patti; Clausen, Carol. 2010. Efficacy Of Fatty Acid Chemistry : Candidate Mold And Decay Fungicides.
- Lebow, Stan T.; Lebow, Patricia K.; Woodward, Bessie M.; Halverson, Steven A.; Abbott, William; West, Michael M. 2009. Efficacy Of A Borax-Copper Preservative In Exposed Applications.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patricia. 2008. Observations On The Predictive Value Of Short-Term Stake Tests.
- Arango, Rachel A.; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Stan. 2016. Evaluating The Effects Of Post Dip-Treatment Laser Marking On Resistance To Feeding By Subterranean Termites.
- Lebow, Stan T.; Lebow, Patricia; Woodward, Bessie; Kirker, Grant T.; Arango, Rachel. 2015. Fifty-Year Durability Evaluation Of Posts Treated With Industrial Wood Preservatives.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patricia. 2014. Documenting The Durability And Service Life Of Pressure-Treated Wood.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Abbott, Bill; West, Mike. 2014. Synergy And Diffusion With A Borax-Copper Hydroxide Groundline Preservative: 20 Year Update.
- Kartal, Saip Nami; Terzi, Evren; Woodward, Bessie; Clausen, Carol A.; Lebow, Stan T. 2013. Chemical Remediation Of Wood Treated With Micronised, Nano Or Soluble Copper Preservatives.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Kirker, Grant; Lebow, Patricia. 2013. Long-Term Durability Of Pressure-Treated Wood In A Severe Test Site.
- Kartal, S. Nami; Terzi, Evren; Woodward, Bessie; Clausen, Carol A.; Lebow, Stan T. 2013. Removal Of Nano- And Micronized-Copper From Treated Wood By Chelating Agents.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Halverson, Steven; West, Michael. 2012. Field Tests Of The Efficacy Of Zinc And Fatty Amine In Preventing Colonization By Copper-Tolerant Fungi.
- Woodward, Bessie M.; Hatfield, Cherilyn A.; Lebow, Stan T. 2011. Comparison Of Wood Preservatives In Stake Tests : 2011 Progress Report.
- Wacker, James P.; Wang, Xiping; Rammer, Douglas R.; Woodward, Bessie M. 2011. Nde Investigation Of The Timber Foundation In The Historic Kennecott Mine Concentration Mill Building.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patricia; Clausen, Carol. 2010. The Need For Performance Criteria In Evaluating The Durability Of Wood Products.
- Przewloka, Simon R.; Crawford, Douglas M.; Rammer, Douglas R.; Buckner, Donald L.; Woodward, Bessie M.; Li, Gan; Nicholas, Darrel D. 2008. Assessment Of Biodeterioration For The Screening Of New Wood Preservatives : Calculation Of Stiffness Loss In Rapid Decay Testing.
- Hennon, Paul; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patricia. 2007. Deterioration Of Wood From Live And Dead Alaska Yellow-Cedar In Contact With Soil.
- Lebow, Stan T.; Woodward, Bessie; Lebow, Patricia K. 2007. Ground-Contact Durability Of Wood Treated With Borax-Copper Preservative.
- Lebow, Stan; Shupe, Todd; Woodward, Bessie; Crawford, Douglas; Via, Brian; Hatfield, Cherilyn. 2006. Formosan And Native Subterranean Termite Attack Of Pressure-Treated Spf Wood Species Exposed In Louisiana.
- Lebow, Stan; Woodward, Bessie; Crawford, Douglas; Abbott, William. 2005. Resistance Of Borax Copper Treated Wood In Aboveground Exposure To Attack By Formosan Subterranean Termites.
- Lebow, Stan; Hatfield, Cherilyn; Crawford, Douglas; Woodward, Bessie. 2003. Long-Term Stake Evaluations Of Waterborne Copper Systems.
- Abbott, William; Woodward, Bessie; West, Michael. 2001. Efficacy Of Copper Borax Preservative Against Wood Decay.
- Niemi, Brett; St. John, Wayne; Woodward, Bessie; DeGroot, Rodney; McGinnis, Gary. 2000. Development Of Naphthenic Acid Fractionation With Supercritical Fluid Extraction For Use In Wood Decay Testing.
- De Groot, Rodney C.; Woodward, Bessie; Hennon, Paul E. 2000. Natural Decay Resistance Of Heartwood From Dead, Standing Yellow-Cedar Trees : Laboratory Evaluations.
|Improving Accelerated Testing of Durable Wood Products|
Durable wood products such as posts, poles and timbers are expected to resist decay and termite attack for several decades. Testing the durabili ...