800 Buchanan Street
Albany, CA 94710
Contact Robert Westfall
Much of my work has focused on the spatial genetic and demographic structures of plant populations, with an eye towards developing management and conservation strategies. In particular, I have studied fine-scale autocorrelation patterns and broad-scale multilocus patterns. Along with my colleagues, Connie Millar, John King, and Diane Delany, I have studied tree ring growth and population histories for western white pine species in relation to climates changes over the past 4000 years. And with Connie Millar, I have been studying rock-ice forms and their impacts on ecosystem functioning in alpine environments.
I also assist B. Kinloch on analyses of Cronartium ribicola population genetic structure and the analysis of slow rusting resistance to Cronartium ribicola. in sugar pine and western white pine.
- Michigan State University, Ph.D. Plant Physiology and Genetics, 1972
- Michigan State University, B.S. Forestry, 1967
Publications & Products
- Liu, L.; Millar, C.I.; Westfall, R.D.; Zebker, H.A. 2013. Surface motion of active rock glaciers in the Sierra Nevada, California, USA: inventory and a case study using InSAR.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D.; Delany, Diane L. 2013. Thermal and hydrologic attributes of rock glaciers and periglacial talus landforms: Sierra Nevada, California, USA.
- Bunn, Andrew G.; Jansma, Esther; Korpela, Mikko; Westfall, Robert D.; Baldwin, James. 2013. Using simulations and data to evaluate mean sensitivity (ζ) as a useful statistic in dendrochronology.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D.; Delany, Diane L.; Bokach, Matthew J.; Flint, Alan L.; Flint, Lorraine E. 2012. Forest mortality in high-elevation whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) forests of eastern California, USA; influence of environmental context, bark beetles, climatic water deficit, and warming.
- Kinloch, Jr., Bohun B.; Burton, Deems; Davis, Dean A.; Westfall, Robert D.; Dunlap, Joan; Vogler, Detlev. 2012. Strong partial resistance to white pine blister rust in sugar pine.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D. 2010. Distribution and Climatic Relationships of the American Pika (Ochotona princeps) in the Sierra Nevada and Western Great Basin, U.S.A.; Periglacial Landforms as Refugia in Warming Climates.
- DeWoody, Jennifer; Arguello, Leonel; Imper, David; Westfall, Robert D.; Hipkins, Valerie D. 2008. Genetic evidence of hybridization between Onothera wolfii (Wolf's evening primrose) and O. glaziovana, a garden escape.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D. 2008. Rock glaciers and related periglacial landforms in the Sierra Nevada, CA, USA; inventory, distribution and climatic relationships.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D.; Delany, Diane L. 2007. Response of high-elevation limber pine (Pinus flexilis) to multiyear droughts and 20th-century warming, Sierra Nevada, California, USA.
- Rogers, Deborah L.; Westfall, Robert D. 2007. Spatial Genetic Patterns in Four Old-Growth Populations of Coast Redwood.
- Millar, Constance I.; King, John C.; Westfall, Robert D.; Alden, Harry A.; Delany, Diane L. 2006. Late Holocene forest dynamics, volcanism, and climate change at Whitewing Mountain and San Joaquin Ridge, Mono County, Sierra Nevada, CA, USA.
- Sork, Victoria L.; Smouse, Peter E.; Apsit, Victoria J.; Dyer, Rodney J.; Westfall, Robert D. 2005. A two-generation analysis of pollen pool genetic structure in flowering dogwood Cornus florida (Cornaceae), in the Missouri Ozarks.
- Westfall, Robert D.; Millar, Constance I. 2004. Genetic consequences of forest population dynamics influenced by historic climatic variability in the western USA.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D.; Delany, Diane L.; King, John C.; Graumlich, Lisa J. 2004. Response of Subalpine Conifers in the Sierra Nevada, California, U.S.A., to 20th-Century Warming and Decadal Climate Variability.
- Dyer, R. J.; Westfall, R. D.; Sork, V. L.; Smouse, P. E. 2004. Two-generation analysis of pollen flow across a landscape. V. A stepwise approach for extracting factors contributing to pollen structure..
- Liebhold, Andrew M.; Sork, Victoria; Peltonen, Mikko; Koenig, Walter; Bjørnstad, Ottar N.; Westfall, Robert; Elkinton, Joseph; Knops, Johannes M. H. 2004. Within-population spatial synchrony in mast seeding of North American oaks.
- Koenig, W. D.; Kelly, D.; Sork, V. L.; Duncan, R. P.; Elkinton, J. S.; Peltonen, M.S.; Westfall, R. D. 2003. Dissecting components of population-level variation in seed production and the evolution of masting behavior..
- Rogers, Deborah L.; Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, Robert D. 1999. Fine-scale genetic structure of whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) associations with watershed and growth form.
- Rogers, D. L.; Millar, C. I.; Westfall, R. D. 1996. Genetic diversity within species.
- Westfall, R. D.; Conkle, M. T. 1992. Allozyme markers in breeding zone designation.
- Millar, Constance I.; Westfall, R. D. 1992. Allozyme markers in forest genetic conservation.
- Millar, Constance I.; Kinloch, Bohun B.; Westfall, Robert D. 1992. Conservation of biodiversity in sugar pine: effects of the blister rust epidemic on genetic diversity.
- Millar, Constance I.; Strauss, Steven H.; Conkle, M. Thompson; Westfall, Robert D. 1988. Allozyme differentiation and biosystematics of the Californian closed-cone pines (Pinus subsect. Oocarpae).
- Kinloch, Bohun B; Westfall, R. D.; Forrest, G. I. 1986. Caledonian scots pine: origins and genetic structure.