Brian L. Strom
2500 Shreveport Highway
Pineville, LA 71360
Contact Brian L. Strom
My interests include the broad areas of plant-insect interactions, insect behavior, and the application of basic biological and ecological factors in developing management schemes for forest biota. Currently I have projects to:
- Examine the effects and heritability of pine resistance traits to bark beetles,
- Predict southern pine beetle-caused tree mortality in loblolly pine plantations,
- Evaluate the role of behavior-modifying chemicals in host selection by forest insects,
- Improve methods for deploying semiochemicals and traps for insect management,
- Examine the role of visual (and other) cues in host selection by insects,
- Assess the impacts of habitat on insect host selection behaviors, and
- To evaluate the effectiveness of tree protectants and improve the methods used in their application and evaluation.
A sampling of my research projects, as they fit into the problem areas of our Research Work Unit, are outlined below.Ecology and Biology of Bark Beetles and Invasive Insects Management of Bark Beetles and Invasive Insects of Conifers Semiochemical Attractants and Disruptants Damage Prediction Tree Protectants Resource Management and Insect Behavior Detection and Management of Exotic Insects
- Louisiana State University, Ph.D. Entomology, 2000
- North Carolina State University, M.S. Entomology, 1994
- University of Wisconsin, B.S. Forest Science, 1988
- Research Entomologist, USDA Forest Service
2001 - Current
- Entomologist, USDA Forest Service
1991 - 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Peterson, Holly; Thistle, Harold; Lamb, Brian; Allwine, Gene; Edburg, Steve; Strom, Brian. 2010. Plume dispersion in four pine thinning scenarios: development of a simple pheromone dispersion model.
- Doccola, Joseph J.; Smith, Sheri L.; Strom, Brian L.; Medeiros, Arthur C.; von Allmen, Erica. 2009. Systemically Applied Insecticides for Treatment of Erythrina Gall Wasp, Quadrastichus erythrinae Kim (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae).
- Reeve, John D.; Strom, Brian L.; Rieske, Lynne K.; Ayers, Bruce D.; Costa, Arnaud. 2009. Geographic variation in prey preference in bark beetle predators.
- Fischer, Joseph; Strom, Brian; Smith, Sheri. 2009. Evaluation of a commercially available ELISA kit for quantifying imidacloprid residues in Erthrina sandwicensis leaves for management of the Erythrina gall wasp, Quadrastichus erythrinae Kim..
- Strom, Brian L.; Smith, Sheri L.; Meeker, James R.; Rabaglia, Robert J. 2009. Effects of lure composition and release rate on catch of EDRR target species and other forest coleoptera..
Publications & Products
- Strom, Brian; S.L., Smith; C., Brownie. 2013. Attractant and disruptant semiochemicals for Dendroctonus jeffreyi (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae).
- Goelz, J.C.G.; Strom, B.L.; Barnett, J.P.; Sword Sayer, M.A. 2012. Guidelines for regenerating southern pine beetle spots.
- Strom, B. L.; Roton, L. M. 2011. Effectiveness of Cedar Oil Products for Preventing Host Use by Ips avulsus (Eichhoff) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in a Modified Small-Bolt Assay.
- Klepzig, K. D.; Strom, B. L. 2011. Effects of a Commercial Chitosan Formulation on Bark Beetle (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) Resistance Parameters in Loblolly Pine.
- Strom, Brian; Clarke, S. R. 2011. Use of Semiochemicals for Southern Pine Beetle Infestation Management and Resource Protection.
- Bishir, John; Roberds, James; Strom, Brian; Wan, Xiaohai. 2009. Documentation and user guides for SPBLOB: a computer simulation model of the join population dynamics for loblolly pine and the southern pine beetle.
- Strom, Brian; Smith, Sheri; Wakarchuk, D.A. 2008. An improved synthetic attractant for the mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae), in northeastern California.
- Thistle, Harold W.; Peterson, Holly; Allwine, Gene; Lamb, Brian; Edburg, Steve; Strom, Brian; Strom, Brian. 2005. The Influence of Stand Thinning on Surrogate Pheromone Plumes.
- Karsky, Dick; Strom, Brian; Thistle, Harold. 2004. An improved method for collecting and monitoring pine oleoresin.
- Strom, Brian L.; Clarke, S.R.; Shea, P.J. 2004. Efficacy of 4-allylanisole-based products for protecting individual loblolly pines from Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Bishir, J.; Roberds, James H.; Strom, Brian L. 2004. On-Bark Behavior of Dendroctonus frontalis: A Markov Chain Analysis.
- Roberds, J. H.; Strom, Brian L. 2004. Repeatability for oleoresin yield determinations in southern pines.
- Goyer, R.A.; Lenhard, G.J.; Strom, Brian L. 2004. The influence of silhouette color and orientation on arrival and emergence of Ips pine engravers and their predators in loblolly pine.
- Roberds, James H.; Strom, Brian L.; Hain, Fred P.; Gwaze, David P.; McKeand, Steven E.; Lott, Larry H. 2003. Estimates of genetic parameters for oleoresin and growth traits in juvenile loblolly pine.
- Roberds, James H.; Strom, Brian L.; Hain, F.P. 2003. Genetic and phenotypic variability for constitutive oleoresin flow in loblolly pine.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie; Meeker, James R.; Foltz, John L.; Strom, Brian L. 1996. Suppression of Bark Beetles and Protection of Pines in the Urban Enviroment: A Case Study.
- Hayes, Jane L.; Strom, Brian L. 1994. 4-allylanisole as an inhibitor of bark beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) aggregation.
- Hayes, Jane Leslie; Strom, Brian L.; Roton, Larry M.; Ingram, Leonard L., Jr. 1994. Repellent properties of the host compound 4-allylanisole to the southern pine beetle.