William D. Smith
Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Contact William D. Smith
Development of sampling designs for monitoring forest health. Estimation procedures for temporally and spatially correlated data. Development of indicators of forest health. Integration of aerial survey, remote sensing, and other polygonal data with plot data.
Featured Publications & Products
- Eaton, Robert; Smith, William; Ludovici, Kim. 2010. Growth response of dominant and co-dominant loblolly pines to organic matter removal, soil compaction, and competition control.
- Yemshanov, Denys; Koch, Frank; Ben-Haim, Yakov; Smith, William. 2010. Detection capacity, information gaps and the design of surveillance programs for invasive forest pests.
Publications & Products
- Koch, Frank H.; Smith, William D.; Coulston, John W. 2013. An improved method for standardized mapping of drought conditions.
- Koch, Frank H.; Smith, William D. 2012. A revised sudden oak death risk map to facilitate national surveys.
- Potter, Kevin M.; Smith, William D. 2012. Large-Scale Assessment of Invasiveness and Potential for Ecological Impact by Nonnative Tree Species..
- Koch, Frank H.; Coulston, John W.; Smith, William D. 2012. Mapping drought conditions using multi-year windows.
- McKelvey, Steven C.; Smith, William D.; Koch, Frank. 2012. Probabilistic commodity-flow-based focusing of monitoring activities to facilitate early detection of Phytophthora ramorum outbreaks.
- Jones, William E.; Smith, William D.; Twardus, Daniel B. 2012. Tracking population loss in Cornus florida since discovery of Discula destructiva, causal agent of dogwood anthracnose, in eastern North America.
- Shifley, S. R.; Flather, C. H.; Smith, W. B.; Riitters, K. H.; Sieg, C. H. 2010. Status and progress in large-scale assessment of biological diversity in the United States.