Benjamin C. Bright
1221 South Main Street
Contact Benjamin C. Bright
I develop and evaluate methodologies that use remote sensing to measure insect-caused forest disturbance.
I am interested in forest, woodland, and rangeland disturbance and ecology; and remote sensing of vegetation.
My thesis project involved developing methodologies that combine multispectral and LiDAR remote sensing to measure biomass killed by mountain pine beetles.
Why This Research is Important
Remote sensing can provide valuable information about vegetation and disturbances that affect vegetation. Research that demonstrates and evaluates this capability needs to be done.
- University of Idaho, Environmental Science , 2011
- Brigham Young University, Geography with an emphasis on Geographic Information Systems , 2009
- Geographer, Rocky Mountain Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2013 - Current
- Research Associate, University of Idaho
2011 - 2013
- Research Assistant, University of Idaho
2009 - 2011
- Biological Technician, Rocky Mountain Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2007 - 2009
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Brigham Young University
2006 - 2007
- Association of American Geographers, Member (2012 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- USDA Spot Award, 2009
Awarded for excellence in sample and data management
Featured Publications & Products
- Bright, Benjamin C.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Hudak, Andrew T. 2012. Estimating Aboveground Carbon Stocks Of A Forest Affected By Mountain Pine Beetle In Idaho Using Lidar And Multispectral Imagery.
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bright, Benjamin C.; Kremens, Robert L.; Loudermilk, E. Louise; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Hornsby, Benjamin S.; Ottmar, Roger D. 2015. Measurements Relating Fire Radiative Energy Density And Surface Fuel Consumption - Rxcadre 2011 And 2012.
- Bright, Benjamin C.; Hudak, Andrew T.; Kennedy, Robert E.; Meddens, Arjan J. H. 2014. Landsat Time Series And Lidar As Predictors Of Live And Dead Basal Area Across Five Bark Beetle-Affected Forests.
- Bright, Benjamin C.; Hudak, Andrew T.; McGaughey, Robert; Andersen, Hans-Erik; Negron, Jose. 2013. Predicting Live And Dead Tree Basal Area Of Bark Beetle Affected Forests From Discrete-Return Lidar.