Contact Andy Youngblood
My research explores the management options for regenerating, restoring, and managing forests and landscapes in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska and the consequences of fire and fire surrogates treatments for fuel reduction and forest restoration in fire-prone forests throughout the United States.
Application of ecosystem and plant community classifications; silvicultural practices for regeneration and culture of boreal and Pacific Northwest conifers and hardwoods; plant competition and competion effects on tree growth; disturbance ecology and the role of natural and human-caused disturbances.
In one past study, I conducted a detailed examination of stand structure in old-growth ponderosa pine forests at three protected study areas in Oregon and northern California. I measured the spatial distribution, size, and age of live and dead trees in the area and assessed the condition of their coarse woody debris. Nearly all of the structure and distribution of old-growth ponderosa pine forests have been lost during the past 100 years because of harvesting, fire, and forest fragmentation. Thus, my findings provide a reference point against which managers can evaluate different structural trajectories within ponderosa pine ecosystems and gauge the success of restoration treatments.
- University of Alaska Fairbanks, Ph.D. Forest Ecology 1992
- Utah State University, M.S. Forest Ecology, Silviculture 1979
- Utah State University, B.S. Forest Management 1977
Featured Publications & Products
- Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Thinning And Burning In Dry Coniferous Forests Of The Western United States: Effectiveness In Altering Diameter Distributions.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Zhu, Junyong; Scott, C. Tim. 2010. Ethanol Production From Woody Biomass: Silvicultural Opportunities For Suppressed Western Conifers.
- Schwilk, Dylan W.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; Mciver, James; Bailey, John D.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Fiedler, Carl E.; Harrod, Richy J.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Stephens, Scott L.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2009. The National Fire And Fire Surrogate Study: Effects Of Fuel Reduction Methods On Forest Vegetation Structure And Fuels.
- McIver, James; Youngblood, Andrew; Stephens, Scott L. 2009. The National Fire And Fire Surrogate Study: Ecological Consequences Of Fuel Reduction Methods In Seasonally Dry Forests.
- Stephens, Scott L.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Edminster, Carl; Fiedler, Carl E.; Haase, Sally; Harrington, Michael; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; McIver, James D.; Metlen, Kerry; Skinner, Carl N.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2009. Fire Treatment Effects On Vegetation Structure, Fuels, And Potential Fire Severity In Western U.S. Forests.
- McIver, James D.; Stephens, Scott L.; Agee, James K.; Barbour, Jamie; Boerner, Ralph E. J.; Edminster, Carl B.; Erickson, Karen L.; Farris, Kerry L.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Fiedler, Carl E.; Haase, Sally; Hart, Stephen C.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; Lehmkuhl, John F.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Otrosina, William; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Schwilk, Dylan W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Weatherspoon, C. Phillip; Yaussy, Daniel A.; Youngblood, Andrew; Zack, Steve. 2012. Ecological Effects Of Alternative Fuel-Reduction Treatments: Highlights Of The National Fire And Fire Surrogate Study (Ffs).
- Stephens, Scott L.; Boerner, Ralph E. J.; Moghaddas, Jason J.; Moghaddas, Emily E. Y.; Collins, Brandon M.; Dow, Christopher B.; Edminster, Carl; Fiedler, Carl E.; Fry, Danny L.; Hartsough, Bruce R.; Keeley, Jon E.; Knapp, Eric E.; McIver, James D.; Skinner, Carl N.; Youngblood, Andrew. 2012. Fuel Treatment Impacts On Estimated Wildfire Carbon Loss From Forests In Montana, Oregon, California, And Arizona.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Cole, Elizabeth; Newton, Michael. 2011. Survival And Growth Response Of White Spruce Stock Types To Site Preparation In Alaska.
- O'Hara, Kevin L.; Youngblood, Andy; Waring, Kristen M. 2010. Maturity Selection Versus Improvement Selection: Lessons From A Mid-20th Century Controversy In The Silviculture Of Ponderosa Pine.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Grace, James B.; McIver, James D. 2009. Delayed Conifer Mortality After Fuel Reduction Treatments: Interactive Effects Of Fuel, Fire Intensity, And Bark Beetles.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Wright, Clinton S.; Ottmar, Roger D.; McIver, James D. 2007. Changes In Fuelbed Characteristics And Resulting Fire Potentials After Fuel Reduction Treatments In Dry Forests Of The Blue Mountains, Northeastern Oregon.
- Youngblood, Andrew; Metlen, Kerry L.; Knapp, Eric E.; Outcalt, Kenneth W.; Stephens, Scott L.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Yaussy, Daniel. 2005. Implementation Of The Fire And Fire Surrogate Study&Mdash; A National Research Effort To Evaluate The Consequences Of Fuel Reduction Treatments.
|Forest managers receive requested side-by-side comparison of fuel treatments|
Forest managers throughout the United Stated have asked for side-by-side comparisons of treatments to better understand the ecological and econo ...
|Multiple fuel treatments likely needed to restore resiliency in fire-adapted ecosystems|
Fuel reduction and restoration treatments can be used to begin restoring late-successional stand structure, but single treatments are insufficie ...
|National Study Evaluates Fuel Treatments in Reducing Risk of Fire|
Mechanical treatments do not serve as surrogates for fire treatments