Alex C. Wiedenhoeft
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Alex C. Wiedenhoeft
- Elucidate the relationships between ecology and phylogeny in wood anatomy as determinants of structure-function of trees.
- Develop tools and methods to improve the ability of the wood industry to comply with - and law enforcement to apply - laws governing illegal logging.
- Improve the use and utility of wood as a material by understanding the biological bases for wood performance
- Botanical wood anatomy, especially structure-function relationships in wood
- Forensic wood anatomy and wood identification, especially as they relate to illegal logging
- Biocentric wood science and the interfaces of classical plant sciences with interdisciplinary research
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, B.S. Department of Botany, 1997
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, M.S. Department of Botany, 2001
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, Ph.D. Department of Botany, 2008
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Purdue University, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
2012 - Current
- Honorary Fellow, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Botany
2008 - Current
- International Association of Wood Anatomists, Associate Editor (2003 - present)
- International Association of Wood Anatomists, Editorial Board Member (2012 - present)
- International Association of Wood Anatomists, Member (2012 - present)
Featured Publications & Products
- Hermanson, John C.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2011. A brief review of machine vision in the context of automated wood identification systems.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 05: Basic characters used in the identification of wood with a hand lens.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2012. Structure and Function of Wood.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Riina, Ricarda; Berry, Paul E. 2009. "Ray-intrusive" laticifers in species of Croton section Cyclostigma (Euphorbiaceae).
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2006. Wood evidence : proper collection, documentation, and storage of wood evidence from a crime scene.
Publications & Products
- Fan, Youran; Rupert, Kendal; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Woeste, Keith; Lexer, Christian; Meilan, Richard. 2013. Figured grain in aspen is heritable and not affected by graft-transmissible signals.
- Ostapkowicz, Joanna; Bronk-Ramsey, Christopher; Brock, Fiona; Higham, Tom; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Ribechini, Erika; Lucejko, Jeannette J.; Wilson, Samuel. 2012. Chronologies in wood and resin: AMS 14C dating of pre-Hispanic Caribbean Wood Sculpture.
- Zelinka, Samuel L.; Lambrecht, Michael J.; Glass, Samuel V.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Yelle, Daniel J. 2012. Examination of water phase transitions in Loblolly pine and cell wall components by differential scanning calorimetry.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 01: Wood identification and pattern recognition.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 02: Basic wood biology—Anatomy for identification.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 03: Correct use of a hand lens.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 04: Bloodless wood specimen preparation for hand lens observation.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2011. Chapter 06: Identification key.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2011. Chapter 07: Species description pages.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2011. Chapter 08: Comments on, and additional information for, wood identification.
- Ostapkowicz, Joanna; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Ramsey, Christopher Bronk; Ribechini, Erika; Wilson, Samuel; Brock, Fiona; Higham, Tom. 2011. Treasures ... of black wood, brilliantly polished : five examples of Taino sculpture from the tenth-sixteenth century Caribbean..
- Haack, Robert A.; Petrice, Toby R.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2010. Incidence of bark- and wood-boring insects in firewood: a survey at Michigan's Mackinac Bridge.
- Moon, Robert J.; Wells, Joseph; Kretschmann, David E.; Evans, James; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Frihart, Charles R. 2010. Influence of chemical treatments on moisture-induced dimensional change and elastic modulus of earlywood and latewood.
- Riina, Ricarda; van Ee, Benjamin; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Cardozo, Alfonso; Berry, Paul E. 2010. Sectional rearrangement of arborescent clades of Croton (Euphorbiaceae) in South America : evolution of arillate seeds and a new species, Croton domatifer.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2010. Structure and function of wood.
- Burke, Edward; Slavik, Norm; Bonura, Tony; Connelly, Dennis; Faris, Tom; Nebelsick, Arnie; Stuart, Brent; Williams, Sam; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2010. Understanding extractive bleed : wood extractives: distribution, properties, and classes.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2009. Biocentricity and economy of scale : hypothesis (and product) testing when wood is a part of an experimental system evaluating durability.
- Burke, Edward; Bonura, Tony; Carll, Charles G.; Connelly, Dennis; Hunt, Christopher; Mall, Doug; Nebelsick, Arnie; Slavik, Norm; Stuart, Brent; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Williams, R. Sam. 2009. Improving the performance of painted wood siding : rain screen, end-grain seal, and back priming.
- Frihart, Charles R.; Yelle, Daniel J.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2008. What does moisture-related durability of wood bonds mean?.
- Sheppard, Paul R.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex. 2007. An advancement in removing extraneous color from wood for low-magnification reflected-light image analysis of conifer tree rings.
- Carll, Charles G.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2007. Mechanical property loss and the occurrence of wood decay during experimental outdoor aging of wood based panels.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2007. The central role of wood biology in understanding the durability of wood-coating interactions.
- Hunter, R. Douglas; Panyushkina, Irina P.; Leavitt, Steven W.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Zawiskie, John. 2006. A multiproxy environmental investigation of Holocene wood from a submerged conifer forest in Lake Huron, USA.
- Leavitt, Steven W.; Panyushkina, Irina P.; Lange, Todd; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Cheng, Li; Hunter, R. Douglas; Hughes, John; Pranschke, Frank; Schneider, Allan F.; Moran, Joseph; Stieglitz, Ron. 2006. Climate in the Great Lakes Region between 14,000 and 4000 years ago from isotopic composition of conifer wood.
- Berry, Paul E.; Cordeiro, Ines; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Vitorino-Cruz, Maria Amelia; Lima, Leticia Ribes de. 2005. Brasiliocroton : a new crotonoid genus of Euphorbiaceae s.s. from eastern Brazil.
- Ward, Joy K.; Harris, John M.; Cerling, Thure E.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Lott, Michael J.; Dearing, Maria-Denise; Coltrain, Joan B.; Ehleringer, James R. 2005. Carbon starvation in glacial trees recovered from the La Brea tar pits, southern California.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Miller, Regis B. 2005. Structure and function of wood.
- Berry, Paul E.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C. 2004. Micrandra inundata (Euphorbiaceae), a new species with unusual wood anatomy from black-water river banks in southern Venezuela.
- Panyushkina, Irina P.; Leavitt, Steven W.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Noggle, Sarah; Curry, Brandon; Grimm, Eric. 2004. Tree-ring records of near-Younger Dryas time in central North America : preliminary results from the Lincoln Quarry site, central Illinois, USA.
- Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Miller, Regis B.; Theim, Terra J. 2003. Analysis of three microscopic characters for separating the wood of Pinus contorta and P. ponderosa.
- Miller, Regis B.; Wiedenhoeft, Alex C.; Williams, R. Sam; Stockman, Willy; Green, Frederick. 2003. Characteristics of ten tropical hardwoods from certified forests in Bolivia. Part II, Natural durability to decay fungi.
- Hunt, Chris; Wiedenhoeft, Alex; Horn, Eric; Houtman, Carl. 2001. Evaluation of physical changes in wood during colonization by Ceriporiopsis submervispora.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...