Andrew T. Groover
My laboratory uses genetic and genomic tools to understand the genetic regulation of growth and development of forest trees. A major focus is determining the genes and mechanisms that regulate wood formation. Currently there are three main projects in my lab:
- In collaboration with Vladimir Filkov at UC Davis, we are determining the transcriptional networks regulating the vascular cambium and wood formation in the model forest tree genus, Populus (funded by USDA AFRI).
- In collaboration with Luca Comai and Isabelle Henry at UC Davis, we are determining the mechanisms responsible for superior performance of Populus hybrids for bioenergy production. This research is funded by the joint DOE/USDA Plant Feedstock Genomics program, and will provide new genomic tools for poplar breeders to identify germplasm with unique genotypes and increased biomass yields, and develop techniques for creating poplar hybrids with unique combinations of chromosomal regions.
- We are investigating methods for evolution and development (evo-devo) studies of wood formation in trees. Evo-devo studies could give important insights into the evolutionary origins and diversification of woody growth, and could ultimately provide new approaches for developing applications for bioenergy, carbon sequestration, and conservation.
In the future, I will explore the regulation of growth and development across forest tree taxa.
- University of North Carolina, Ph.D. Biology 1997
- University of Georgia, M.S. Forest Genetics 1991
- University of Georgia, B.S. Forest Science 1988
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Plant Biology, University of California Davis
2009 - Present
- Director, USDA Forest Service, Institute of Forest Genetics
2003 - 2010
- Plant Biology Graduate Group, University of California Davis
2003 - Present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Section of Plant Biology, University of California Davis
2001 - 2009
- Geneticist, USDA Forest Service, Institute of Forest Genetics
2000 - Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY
1997 - 2000
- American Society of Plant Biology, Member
- International Association of Wood Anatomists, Member
Awards & Recognition
- Grant, 2010
USDA AFRI Plant Sciences Program, Regulatory Networks Controlling Hormone Signalling During Woody Growth of Forest Trees ($498,875: 2010-2014)
- Grant, 2006
USDA NRI Developmental Processes of Plants, Homeobox Gene Regulation of the Vascular Cambium and Wood Formation ($397,000: 2006-2009)
- Grant, 2005
DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research, Regulation of Wood Formation in Populus by ClassIII HD-Zip Transcription Factors ($614,901: 2005-2008)
- Grant, 2003
USDA NRI Plant Genome, Systems for Gene Discovery and Characterization in Poplar ($250,000: 2003-2006)
- Grant, 2001
USDA NRI Genetic Mechanisms, Gene Trapping and Functional Genomics in Poplar ($110,000: 2001-2003)
- Award, 1999
NIH National Research Service Award, 1999-2000
- Fellowship, 1998
Cold Spring Harbor Association Post Doctoral Fellowship (1998-1999)
- Fellowship, 1997
UNC Chapel Hill On-Campus Dissertation Fellowship (1997-1998)
- Fellowship, 1997
W.C. Coker Fellowship, UNC Chapel Hill (1997)
- Assistantship, 1997
Research Assistantship, UNC Chapel Hill (1997)
- Fellowship, 1997
Research Fellowship, Institute for Marine and Agricultural Research (1996-1997)
- Assistantship, 1995
Teaching Assistantship, UNC Chapel Hill (1995)
- Fellowship, 1995
Coker Fund Endowed Fellowship for Botanical Sciences (1994-1995)
- Assistantship, 1991
Research Assistantship, University of Georgia, School of Forest Resources (1990-1991)
- Scholarship, 1988
James Holekamp Memorial Scholarship (1988)
- Scholarship, 1986
Georgia Forestry Association Scholarship, (1986-1987)
- Membership, 1985
Phi Eta Sigma, National Freshman Honor Society, (1985)
Featured Publications & Products
- Lens, Federic; Cooper, Laurel; Gandolfo, Maria Alejandra; Groover, Andrew; Jaiswal, Pankaj; Lachenbruch, Barbara; Spicer, Rachel; Staton, Margaret E.; Stevenson, Dennis W.; Walls, Ramona L.; Wegrzyn, Jill. 2012. An Extension Of The Plant Ontology Project Supporting Wood Anatomy And Development Research.
- Dosmann, Michael; Groover, Andrew. 2012. The Important Of Living Botanical Collections For Plant Biology And The Next Generation Of Evo-Devo Research.
- Du, Juan; Miura, Eriko; Robischon, Marcel; Martinez, Ciera; Groover, Andrew. 2011. The Populus Class Iii Hd Zip Transcription Factor Popcorona Affects Cell Differentiation During Secondary Growth Of Woody Stems.
- Robischon, Marcel; Du, Juan; Miura, Eriko; Groover, Andrew. 2011. The Populus Class Iii Hd Zip, Poprevoluta, Influences Cambium Initiation And Patterning Of Woody Stems.
- Du, Juan; Groover, Andrew. 2010. Transcriptional Control Of Secondary Growth And Wood Formation..
- Groover, Andrew; Spicer, Rachel. 2010. The Evolution Of Development Of Vascular Cambia And Secondary Growth.
- Du, Juan; Mansfield, Shawn D.; Groover, Andrew T. 2009. The Populus Homeobox Gene Arborknox2 Regulates Cell Differentiation During Secondary Growth.
- Liu, Lijun; Ramsay, Trevor; Zinkgraf, Matthew S.; Sundell, David; Street, Nathaniel Robert; Filkov, Vladimir; Groover, Andrew. 2015. A Resource For Characterizing Genome-Wide Binding And Putative Target Genes Of Transcription Factors Expressed During Secondary Growth And Wood Formation In Populus.
- Kidner, Catherine; Groover, Andrew; Thomas, Daniel C.; Emelianova, Katie; Soliz-Gamboa, Claudia; Lens, Frederic. 2015. First Steps In Studying The Origins Of Secondary Woodiness In Begonia (Begoniaceae): Combining Anatomy, Phylogenetics, And Stem Transcriptomics.
- Hussey, Steven G; Mizrachi, Eshchar; Groover, Andrew; Berger, Dave K; Myburg, Alexander A. 2015. Genome-Wide Mapping Of Histone H3 Lysine 4 Trimethylation In Eucalyptus Grandis Developing Xylem.
- Gerttula, Suzanne; Zinkgraf, Matthew; Muday, Gloria K.; Lewis, Daniel R.; Ibatullin, Farid M.; Brumer, Harry; Hart, Foster; Mansfield, Shawn D.; Filkov, Vladimir; Groover, Andrew. 2015. Transcriptional And Hormonal Regulation Of Gravitropism Of Woody Stems In Populus.
- Liu, Lijun; Zinkgraf, Matthew S.; Petzold, H. Earl; Beers, Eric P.; Filkov, Vladimir; Groover, Andrew. 2014. The Populus Arborknox1 Homeodomain Transcription Factor Regulates Woody Growth Through Binding To Evolutionarily Conserved Target Genes Of Diverse Function.
- Liu, Lijun; Missirian, V.; Zinkgraf, Matthew S.; Groover, Andrew; Filkov, V. 2014. Evaluation Of Experimental Design And Computational Parameter Choices Affecting Analyses Of Chip-Seq And Rna-Seq Data In Undomesticated Poplar Trees..
- Groover, Andrew; Cronk, Quentin. 2013. From Nehemiah Grew To Genomics: The Emerging Field Of Evo-Devo Research For Woody Plants.
- Liu, Lijun; Filkov, Vladimir; Groover, Andrew. 2013. Modeling Transcriptional Networks Regulating Secondary Growth And Wood Formation In Forest Trees.
- Lucas, William J.; Groover, Andrew; Lichtenberger, Raffael; Furuta, Kaori; Yadav, Shri-Ram; Helariutta, Yka; He, Xin-Qiang; Fukuda, Hiroo; Kang, Julie; Brady, Siobhan M.; Patrick, John W.; Sperry, John; Yoshida, Akiko; Lopez-Millan, Ana-Flor; Grusak, Michael A.; Kachroo, Pradeep. 2013. The Plant Vascular System: Evolution, Development And Functions.
- Abzhanov, A.; Extavour, C.; Groover, A.; Hodges, S.; Hoekstra, H.; Kramer, E.; Monteiro, A. 2008. Are We There Yet Tracking The Development Of New Model Systems.
- Groover, Andrew; Robischon, Marcel. 2006. Developmental Mechanisms Regulating Secondary Growth In Woody Plants.
- Busov, Victor; Fladung, Matthias; Groover, Andrew; Strauss, Steven. 2005. Insertional Mutagenesis In Populus: Relevance And Feasibility.
- Groover, Andrew T. 2005. What Genes Make A Tree A Tree.
- Groover, Andrew; Fontana, Joseph R.; Dupper, Gayle; Ma, Caiping; Martienssen, Robert; Strauss, Steven; Meilan, Richard. 2004. Gene And Enhancer Trap Tagging Of Vascular-Expressed Genes In Poplar Trees.
- Groover, Andrew T.; Pattishall, Amy; Jones, Alan M. 2003. Iaa8 Expression During Vascular Cell Differentiation.
- Byrne, Mary E.; Groover, Andrew T.; Fontana, Joseph R.; Martienssen, Robert A. 2003. Phyllotactic Pattern And Stem Cell Fate Are Determined By The Arabidopsis Homeobox Gene Bellringer.
- Groover, Andrew T.; Fontana, Joseph R.; Arroyo, Juana M.; Yordan, Cristina; McCombie, W. Richard; Martienssen, Robert A. 2003. Secretion Trap Tagging Of Secreted And Membrane-Spanning Proteins Using Arabidopsis Gene Traps.
- Ahuja, M.R.; Devey, M.E.; Groover, A.T.; Jermstad, K.D.; Neale, D.B. 1994. Mapped Dna Probes From Ioblolly Pine Can Be Used For Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism Mapping In Other Conifers.
|Breakthroughs in Poplar Genomics Improve Bioenergy Feedstock Options|
Developing fast growing poplar cultivars for biofuels production is a major step towards renewable, tree-based energy. Optimal properties of sho ...
|Historic Critchfield Memorial Herbarium Goes Digital: Believed to Be the Largest Collection of Pine Specimens in the World|
The USDA Forest Service's Pacific SouthwestResearch Station, Institute of Forest Genetics, Placerville, CA, has released the online version of i ...
|Regulation of bark and wood growth in trees|
The dividing cells of the cambium meristem provide cells that differentiate in either wood or bark. Although fundamental to how trees grow, regu ...