Research Ecologist, Team Leader
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, OR 97331
Contact Andrew Gray
My research focuses on the application of forest inventory data. I am reconstructing changes in carbon through time by linking inventory and satellite data and am improving our ability to predict tree canopy cover using tree measurements. I also am studying the effects of management and environment on regional patterns of species richness, estimating the extent of regional wildlife habitat from inventory plots, and determining rates and patterns of land use change in Washington state.
Forest inventory data application, effects of disturbance and management on forest composition and structure, conditions and trends of Washington's forest resources.
My past research has included investigations of long-term vegetation response to canopy gaps in mature conifer forests, applications of adaptive management studies in coastal Oregon, effects of fire and prescribed burning on regeneration and soil moisture in Sierran mixed conifer, and regional distribution and abundance of invasive species.
Why This Research is Important
My work is important because forest inventories provide an unbiased examination of forest conditions and trends across large regions and multiple ownerships. The proper collection, compilation, and analysis of inventory data provides a solid factual bedrock to inform policymakers and managers and supports additional modeling studies that evaluate the potential impacts of future changes in management and environment.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology, 1995
- University of Washington, M.S. Forest Ecology, 1990
- University of Washington, B.S. Environmental Studies, 1985
- Ecological Society of America, Member (1990 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Gray, Andrew N.; Azuma, David L.; Lettman, Gary J.; Thompson, Joel L.; McKay, Neil. 2013. Changes in land use and housing on resource lands in Washington state, 1976–2006.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Spies, Thomas A.; Pabst, Robert J. 2012. Canopy gaps affect long-term patterns of tree growth and mortality in mature and old-growth forests in the Pacific Northwest.
- McIntosh, Anne; Gray, Andrew; Garman, Steven. 2012. Estimating canopy cover from standard forest inventory measurements in western Oregon.
- Zielinski, William J.; Dunk, Jeffrey R.; Gray, Andrew N. 2012. Estimating habitat value using forest inventory data: the fisher (Martes pennanti) in northwestern California.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Barndt, Katie; Reichard, Sarah H. 2011. Nonnative invasive plants of Pacific coast forests: a field guide for identification.
Publications & Products
- Woodall, C.W.; Walters, B.F.; Oswalt, S.N.; Domke, G.M.; Toney, C.; Gray, A.N. 2013. Biomass and carbon attributes of downed woody materials in forests of the United States.
- Gray, Andrew. 2013. Changes in fragmentation of western Washington forest land (Project WC-EM-08-01).
- Lintz, Heather E.; Gray, Andrew N.; McCune, Bruce. 2013. Effect of inventory method on niche models: random versus systematic error.
- Schulz, Bethany K.; Gray, Andrew N. 2013. The new flora of the northeastern USA: quantifying introduced plant species occupancy in forest ecosystems.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Shaw, John D.; McWilliams, William H.; Miles, Patrick. 2012. Forest Inventory and Analysis Database of the United States of America (FIA).
- Woodall, Christopher W.; Smith, James E.; Domke, Grant M.; Healey, Sean P.; Coulston, John W.; Gray, Andrew N. 2012. Technical aspects of the forest carbon inventory of the United States: recent past and near future.
- Barrett, Tara M.; Gray, Andrew N. 2011. Potential of a national monitoring program for forests to assess change in high-latitude ecosystems.
- Lintz, Heather E.; McCune, Bruce; Gray, Andrew N.; McCulloh, Katherine A. 2011. Quantifying ecological thresholds from response surfaces.
- Brady, Timothy J.; Monleon, Vicente J.; Gray, Andrew N. 2010. Calibrating vascular plant abundance for detecting future climate changes in Oregon and Washington, USA.
- Griffiths, Robert P.; Gray, Andrew N.; Spies, Thomas A. 2010. Soil properties in old-growth Douglas-fir gaps in the western Cascade Mountains of Oregon.
- Zielinski, William J.; Gray, Andrew N.; Dunk, Jeffrey R.; Sherlock, Joseph W.; Dixon, Gary E. 2010. Using forest inventory and analysis data and the forest vegetation simulator to predict and monitor fisher (Martes pennanti) resting habitat suitability.
- Campbell, Sally; Waddell, Karen; Gray, Andrew. 2010. Washington’s forest resources, 2002–2006: five-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report.
- McIntosh, Anne C.S.; Gray, Andrew N.; Garman, Steven L. 2009. Canopy structure on forest lands in western Oregon: differences among forest types and stand ages.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Monleon, Vicente J.; Spies, Thomas A. 2009. Characteristics of remnant old-growth forests in the northern Coast Range of Oregon and comparison to surrounding landscapes..
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Moses, Alissa; Azuma, David L.; Gray, Andrew. 2009. Evaluating satellite imagery-based land use data for describing forestland development in western Washington.
- Moser, W. Keith; Barnard, Edward L.; Billings, Ronald F.; Crocker, Susan J.; Dix, Mary Ellen; Gray, Andrew N.; Ice, George G.; Kim, Mee-Sook; Reid, Richard; Rodman, Sue U.; McWilliams, William H. 2009. Impacts of nonnative invasive species on US forests and recommendations for policy and management.
- Azuma, David; Menlove, James; Gray, Andrew. 2009. Reserved and roadless forests.
- Zald, Harold S.J.; Gray, Andrew N.; North, Malcolm; Kern, Ruth A. 2008. Initial tree regeneration responses to fire and thinning treatments in a Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer forest, USA.
- Gray, Andrew. 2008. Monitoring and assessment of regional impacts from nonnative invasive plants in forests of the Pacific Coast, United States.
- Fiala, Anne C.S.; Garman, Steven L.; Gray, Andrew N. 2006. Comparison of five canopy cover estimation techniques in the western Oregon Cascades..
- Gray, Andrew N.; Fried, Jeremy S.; Christensen, Glenn; Potts, Larry. 2006. Timber resource statistics for forest land in eastern Washington, January 2002..
- Gray, Andrew. 2005. Eight nonnative plants in western Oregon forests: associations with environment and management..
- North, Malcolm; Oakley, Brian; Fiegener, Rob; Gray, Andrew; Barbour, Michael. 2005. Influence of light and soil moisture on Sierran mixed-conifer understory communities..
- Gray, Andrew N. 2005. Nonnative Plants in the Inventory of Western Oregon Forests.
- Gray, Andrew N.; Azuma, David L. 2005. Repeatability and implementation of a forest vegetation indicator..
- Gray, Andrew N.; Zald, Harold S.J.; Kern, Ruth A.; North, Malcolm. 2005. Stand conditions associated with tree regeneration in sierran mixed-conifer forests..
- Gray, Andrew N.; Veneklase, Charles F.; Rhoads, Robert D. 2005. Timber resource statistics for nonnational forest land in western Washington, 2001..
- North, Malcolm; Chen, Jiquan; Oakley, Brian; Song, Bo; Rudnicki, Mark; Gray, Andrew; Innes, Jim. 2004. Forest stand structure and pattern of old-growth western hemlock/Douglas-fir and mixed-conifer forests.
- Gray, Andrew. 2003. Monitoring stand structure in mature coastal Douglas-fir forests: effect of plot size..
- North, Malcolm; Oakley, Brian; Chen, Jiquan; Erickson, Heather; Gray, Andrew; Izzo, Antonio; Johnson, Dale; Ma, Siyan; Marra, Jim; Meyer, Marc; Purcell, Kathryn; Rambo, Tom; Rizzo, Dave; Roath, Brent; Schowalter, Tim. 2002. Vegetation and Ecological Characteristics of Mixed-Conifer and Red Fir Forests at the Teakettle Experimental Forest.