4955 Canyon Crest Drive
Riverside, CA 92507
Contact Andrzej Bytnerowicz
I have been studying impacts of air pollution on plants for about 40 years. During my early work in Poland (1972 – 1981), I developed methodologies for evaluation of environmental pollution using chemical analysis of plants. Together with my colleagues of the Warsaw Botanic Garden, Polish Academy of Sciences, I produced maps of sulfur dioxide, fluorides and heavy metals distribution in Poland based on chemical composition of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) needles. Later (1981 – 1990) at the Statewide Air Pollution Research Center of the University of California in Riverside I was involved in evaluation of air pollution (ozone, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides) effects on growth, injury development, physiology and biochemistry of various agricultural crops in California. At that time I also started my collaboration with Dr. Paul Miller of the USDA FS Fire Laboratory in Riverside and got involved in evaluation of nitrogenous air pollution and atmospheric nitrogen and sulfur dry deposition to California ecosystems. Still working for UCR, I characterized air pollution and atmospheric dry deposition to the chaparral, mixed conifer forest and subalpine ecosystems of the San Gabriel and San Bernardino Mountains in southern California and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Since joining the USDA Forest Service (1990), my work mostly focused on refining methods for determining air pollution status and evaluating atmospheric deposition in remote mountain areas. For that purpose I adapted existing passive sampler methodologies for ozone, ammonia, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide. I also developed a passive sampler for nitric acid vapor, one of the most important nitrogenous pollutants in the wildland-urban interface of the arid regions. Results from passive sampler determinations have been used for development of geostatistical maps of air pollution distribution at scales of landscapes and regions. In my studies I also used portable, battery operated UV absorption instruments for the real-time measurements of ozone concentrations in complex mountain terrain. Such information is needed for understanding toxic effects of ozone on human health and ecosystem sustainability. I have been involved in various air pollution-related projects in western United States and Central Europe. In collaboration with the USDA FS partners I characterized distribution of ambient ozone and nitrogenous pollutants in the San Bernardino Mountains of southern California and the Sierra Nevada Mountains, including Sequoia National Park and the Lake Tahoe Basin. In 1990s I coordinated several research projects in Central Europe aimed at understanding distribution and effects of ambient ozone on local forests. Together with my European and US colleagues I discovered that ozone levels on that part of Europe were elevated and contributed to deterioration of forest condition in the Carpathian Mountain range. Recently I have been involved in research on understanding impacts of wildland fires on air quality from a perspective of human and ecosystem health.
I have been actively involved in activities of the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO). Since 2010, I have been serving as a Coordinator of its Research Group 7.01 "Impacts of Air Pollution and Climate Change on Forest Ecosystems", a Deputy Coordinator of IUFRO Division 7 "Forest Health" and a Member of the IUFRO Enlarged Board. I am also a visiting professor at the Department of Environmental Sciences of the University of California in Riverside.
- Silesian University, Ph.D. Natural Sciences, 1981
- Agricultural University, M.Sc. Food Sciences, 1972
- Research Ecologist, GS 13 through ST level, USDA Forest Service, PSW Research Station, Riverside, CA
1990 - Current
- Assistant Research Plant Chemist, Statewide Air Pollution Research Center, University of California, Riverside, CA
1985 - 1990
- Postgraduate Research Plant Chemist, Statewide Air Pollution Research Center, University of California, Riverside, CA
1982 - 1985
- Senior Fulbright Scholar, Statewide Air Pollution Research Center, University of California, Riverside, CA
1981 - 1982
- Head of the Laboratory of Chemical Analysis of Plant Material, Botanical Garden of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
1975 - 1981
- Research Associate, Department of Plant Biology, Warsaw Agricultural University, Warsaw, Poland
1973 - 1975
- Research Associate, Institute of Fermentation Industry, Warsaw, Poland
1972 - 1973
- Ecological Society of America, Member (2010 - Current)
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1998 - Current)
- International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Coordinator Of Research Group 7.01 “Impacts Of Air Pollution And Climate Change On Forest Ecosystems; Deputy Coordinator Of Division 7 “Forest Health”; Member Of The Enlarged Iufro Board (1996 - Current)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member (1986 - Current)
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, Member (1984 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- Invited Lecturer, Chinese Academy of Forestry & Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2012
Invited Lecturer, Chinese Academy of Forestry & Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, 2011
Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences
- USDA Forest Service 2005 Clean Air Award, 2005
USDA Forest Service 2005 Clean Air Award
- Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honorary Society, 1990
Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honorary Society
- Invited Lecturer, Finnish Academy of Sciences, 1988
Invited Lecturer, Finnish Academy of Sciences
- Sigma Xi National Scientific Honorary Society, 1983
Sigma Xi National Scientific Honorary Society
- Senior Fulbright Scholar, 1981 - 1982, 1981
Senior Fulbright Scholar
Publications & Products
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark; Gertler, Alan; Preisler, Haiganoush; Zielinska, Barbara. 2013. Distribution of ozone, ozone precursors and gaseous components of atmospheric nitrogen deposition in the Lake Tahoe Basin.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fraczek, Witold. 2013. Large-scale monitoring of air pollution in remote and ecologically important areas.
- Panek, Jeanne; Saah, David; Esperanza, Annie; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fraczek, Witold; Cisneros, Ricardo. 2013. Ozone distribution in remote ecologically vulnerable terrain of the southern Sierra Nevada, CA.
- Vollenweider, Pierre; Fenn, Mark E.; Menard, Terry; Gunthardt-Goerg, Madeleine; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 2013. Structural injury underlying mottling in ponderosa pine needles exposed to ambient ozone concentrations in the San Bernardino Mountains near Los Angeles, California.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Burley, Joel D.; Cisneros, Ricardo; Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Schilling, Susan; Schweizer, Donald; Ray, John; Dulen, Deanna; Beck, Christopher; Auble, Bianca. 2013. Surface ozone at the Devils Postpile National Monument receptor site during low and high wildland fire years.
- Cisneros, Ricardo; Schweizer, Donald; Zhong, Sharon; Hammond, Katharine; Perez, Miguel A.; Guo, Qinghua; Traina, Samuel; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Bennett, Deborah H. 2012. Analysing the effects of the 2002 McNally fire on air quality in the San Joaquin Valley and southern Sierra Nevada, California.
- Badea, Ovidiu; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Silaghi, Diana; Neagu, Stefan; Barbu, Ion; Iacoban, Carmen; Iacob, Corneliu; Guiman, Gheorghe; Preda, Elena; Seceleanu, Ioan; Oneata, Marian; Dumitru, Ion; Huber, Viorela; Iuncu, Horia; Dinca, Lucian; Leca, Stefan; Taut, Ioan. 2012. Status of the Southern Carpathian forests in the long-term ecological research network.
- Serengil, Y.; Augustaitis, A.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Grulke, Nancy; Kozovitz, A.R.; Matyssek, R.; Müller-Starck, G.; Schaub, M.; Wieser, G.; Coskun, A.A.; Paoletti, E. 2011. Adaptation of forest ecosystems to air pollution and climate change: a global assessment on research priorities.
- Badea, O.; Neagu, S.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Silaghi, D.; Barbu, I.; Iacoban, C.; Popescu, F.; Andrei, M.; Preda, E.; Iacob, C.; Dumitru, I.; Iuncu, H.; Vezeanu, C.; Huber, V. 2011. Long-term monitoring of air pollution effects on selected forest ecosystems in the Bucegi-Piatra Craiului and Retezat Mountains, southern Carpathians (Romania).
- Burley, Joel; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 2011. Surface ozone in the White Mountains of California.
- Paoletti, E.; Schaub, M.; Matyssek, R.; Wieser, G.; Augustaitis, A.; Bastrup-Birk, A. M.; Bytnerowicz, A.; Gunthardt-Goerg, M. S.; Muller-Starck, G.; Serengil, Y. 2010. Advances of Air Pollution Science: From Forest Decline to Multiple-Stress Effects on Forest Ecosystem Services.
- Bytnerowicz, A.; Cayan, D.; Riggan, P.; Schilling, S.; Dawson, P.; Tyree, M.; Wolden, L.; Tissell, R.; Preisler, H. 2010. Analysis of the effects of combustion emissions and Santa Ana winds on ambient ozone during the October 2007 southern California wildfires.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Zhong, Shiyuan (Sharon); Esperanza, Annie; Brown, Timothy J.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Tarnay, Leland. 2010. Estimating contribution of wildland fires to ambient ozone levels in National Parks in the Sierra Nevada, California.
- Fenn, M.E.; Allen, E.B.; Weiss, S.B.; Jovan, S.; Geiser, L.; Tonnesen, G.S.; Johnson, R.F.; Rao, L.E.; Gimeno, B.S.; Yuan, F.; Meixner, T.; Bytnerowicz, A. 2010. Nitrogen critical loads and management alternatives for N-impacted ecosystems in California.
- Bytnerowicz, A.; Fraczek, W.; Schilling, S.; Alexander, D. 2010. Spatial and temporal distribution of ambient nitric acid and ammonia in the Athabasca Oil Sands Region, Alberta.
- Allen, E.B.; Rao, L.; Steers, R.J.; Bytnerowicz, A.; Fenn, M.E. 2009. Impacts of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on vegetation and soils in Joshua Tree National Park.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Arbaugh, Michael J.; Andersen, Christian; Riebau, Allen R. 2009. Integrating research on wildland fires and air quality: needs and recommendations.
- Fenn, M.E.; Sickman, J.O.; Bytnerowicz, A.; Clow, D.W.; Molotch, N.P.; Pleim, J.E.; Tonnesen, G.S.; Weathers, K.C.; Padgett, P.E.; Campbell., D.H. 2009. Methods for measuring atmospheric nitrogen deposition inputs in arid and montane ecosystems of western North America.
- Paoletti, E; Grulke, NE; Bytnerowicz, A. 2009. More harmful climate change impacts in polluted forests – a review.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Arbaugh, Michael; Andersen, Christian; Riebau, Allen. 2009. Wildland fires and air pollution. Developments in Environmental Science 8.
- Allen, Edith B.; Sirulnik, Abby G.; Egerton-Warburton, Louise; Kee, Sheila N.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Padgett, Pamela E.; Temple, Patrick J.; Fenn, Mark E.; Poth, Mark A.; Meixner, Thomas. 2005. Air pollution and vegetation change in southern California coastal sage scrub: a comparison with chaparral and coniferous forest.
- Temple, Patrick J.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark E.; Poth, Mark A. 2005. Air pollution impacts in the mixed conifer forests of southern California.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark E.; Arbaugh, Michael J. 1998. Concentrations and deposition of nitrogenous air pollutants in a ponderosa/Jeffrey pine canopy.
- Allen, Edith B.; Padgett, Pamela E.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Minnich, Richard. 1998. Nitrogen deposition effects on coastal sage vegetation of southern California.
- Johnson, Dale W.; Susfalk, Richard B.; Dahlgreen, Randy A.; Boucher, Virginia; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 1998. Nutrient fluxes in forests of the eastern Sierra Nevada: comparisons with humid forest systems.
- Blum, Oleg; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Manning, William; Popovicheva, Ludmila. 1998. Ozone air pollution in the Ukrainian Carpathian Mountains and Kiev region.
- Arbaugh, Michael J.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark E. 1998. Predicting nitrogen flux along a vertical canopy gradient in a mixed conifer forest stand of the San Bernardino Mountains in California.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Arbaugh, Michael J.; Schilling, Susan L. 1998. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Air Pollution and Climate Change Effects on Forest Ecosystems, February 5-9, 1996. Riverside, CA.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 1997. Atmospheric and biospheric interactions of gases and energy in the Pacific region of the United States, Mexico, and Brazil.
- Fenn, Mark E.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 1997. Summar throughfall and winter depostion in the San Bernardino mountains in southern California.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark E. 1996. Nitrogen deposition in California forests: a review.
- Fenn, Mark E.; Bytnerowicz, Andrzej. 1993. Dry deposition of nitrogen and sulfur to ponderosa and jeffrey pine in the San Bernardino National Forest in southern California.
|Characterizing high altitude surface ozone in the White Mountains of California|
We present surface ozone data for high-elevation sites in the White Mountains. At 4342 and 3783 m, our measurements are higher in elevation than ...
|Industrial Air Pollution May Have Ecological Consequences|
Elevated concentrations of ammonia can negatively impact lichen communities and elevated levels of nitrogen and sulfur deposition can potentiall ...
|Sources of Air Quality in the Lake Tahoe Basin Analyzed|
Scientists determine elevated concentrations of ambient ozone in the Lake Tahoe Basin are caused mainly by local emissions