Operations Research Analyst
1992 Folwell Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108
I develop optimization decision models that provide information useful to land managers in understanding alternatives, consequences, and tradeoffs associated with a range of land management decisions. The goal of my research is helping to facilitate more effective decision-making about how best to balance the host of environmental, social, and economic issues associated with natural resource planning, management, and decision-making. I have developed models for selecting habitat reserve sites, open space land acquisition, and scheduling timber harvests. I am currently developing new models for selecting grassland habitat reserve sites and open spaces in an urbanizing landscape, as well as starting a study to explore the utility of optimization models in designing ATV trail systems. I am also working on studies aimed at quantifying ecosystem services and values people hold for forest attributes.
I am very interested in conducting research aimed at identifying, quantifying, and estimating the valuesassociated with a range of different ecosystem services. I am most interested in understanding and quantifying the nonmarket values of forested ecosystems and then developing ways to incorporate this information into land management decision-making processes.
Why This Research is Important
My research helps managers determine efficient strategies, informs them about the consequences of their choices, and identifies the trade-offs inherent in complex land use and management decision-making. With this information, managers can make more effective decisions about how best to balance a host of competing objectives, priorities and goals inherent in land management
- Johns Hopkins University, Ph.D. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making, 1996
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making, 1992
- Boston University, B.A. Physical Geography, 1990
- Society of American Foresters
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
Featured Publications & Products
- Mundell, J.; Taff, S.J.; Kilgore, M.A.; Snyder, S.A. 2010. Using real estate records to assess forest land parcelization and development: A Minnesota case study.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Wilson, Grant L.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2010. Private forest landowner attitudes toward off-highway vehicle access: A Minnesota case study.
- Toth, Sandor F.; Haight, Robert; Snyder, Stephanie A.; George, Sonney; Miller, James R.; Gregory, Mark S.; Skibbe, Adam M. 2009. Reserve selection with minimum contiguous area restrictions: An application to open space protection planning in suburban Chicago.
- Miller, James R.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Skibbe, A.M.; Haight, Robert G. 2009. Prioritizing conservation targets in a rapidly urbanizing landscape.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph. 2009. Does forest land posted against trespass really mean no hunter access?.
Publications & Products
- Butler, Brett J.; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. A comparison of techniques for generating forest ownership spatial products.
- Butler, Brett J.; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla; Snyder, Stephanie; Catanzaro, Paul; Kittredge, David B.; Andrejczyk, Kyle; Dickinson, Brenton J.; Eryilmaz, Derya; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Randler, Paula; Tadle, Donna; Kilgore, Michael A. 2014. Effectiveness of landowner assistance activities: an examination of the USDA Forest Service's Forest Stewardship Program.
- Hewes, Jaketon H.; Butler, Brett J.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. Map of distribution of six forest ownership types in the conterminous United States.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Block-Torgerson, Kayla; Taff, Steven J. 2013. Challenges in characterizing a parcelized forest landscape: why metric, scale and threshold matter.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Butler, Brett J. 2012. A national assessment of public recreational access on family forestlands in the United States.
- Miller, Kristell A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A. 2012. An assessment of forest landowner interest in selling forest carbon credits in the Lake States, USA.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Stockmann, Keith D.; Morris, Gaylord E. 2012. An optimization modeling approach to awarding large fire support wildfire helicopter contracts from the US Forest Service.
- Allen, Stewart D.; Wickwar, Denise A.; Clark, Fred P.; Dow, Robert R.; Potts, Robert; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2009.
Values, beliefs, and attitudes technical guide for Forest Service land and resource management, planning, and decision-making.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Smail, Robert A. 2009. Are all-terrain vehicle riders willing to pay trail user fees to ride on public lands in the USA?.
- Baker, Lawrence A.; Schussler, Johanna E.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2008. Drivers of change for lakewater clarity.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Whitmore, Jay H.; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Becker, Dennis R. 2008. Ecological criteria, participant preferences and location models: A GIS approach toward ATV trail planning.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph M. 2008. Estimating a family forest landowner's likelihood of posting against trespass.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie; Taff, Steven; Schertz, Joseph. 2008. Family forest stewardship: do owners need a financial incentive?.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2008. Influence of purchaser perceptions and intentions on price for forest land parcels: a hedonic pricing approach.
- Marianov, Vladimir; ReVelle, Charles; Snyder, Stephanie. 2008. Selecting compact habitat reserves for species with differential habitat size needs.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joesph M.; Taff, Steven J. 2008. The cost of acquiring public hunting access on family forests lands.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joseph; Taff, Steven J. 2008. What does it take to get family forest owners to enroll in a forest stewardship-type program?.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2007. Determinants of forest land prices in northern Minnesota: a hedonic pricing approach.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Miller, James R.; Skibbe, Adam M.; Haight, Robert G. 2007. Habitat acquisition strategies for grassland birds in an urbanizing landscape.
- Kramer, Daniel Boyd; Polasky, Stephen; Starfield, Anthony; Palik, Brian; Westphal, Lynn; Snyder, Stephanie; Jakes, Pamela; Hudson, Rachel; Gustafson, Eric. 2006. A Comparison of Alternative Strategies for Cost-Effective Water Quality Management in Lakes.
- Stone, Brian; Obermann, William; Snyder, Stephanie. 2005. A new method for estimating and projecting vehicle miles of travel--linkages to landscape change and ozone impacts to northern forests..
- Haight, Robert G.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Revelle, Charles S. 2005. Metropolitan open-space protection with uncertain site availability.
- Williams, Justin C.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2005. Restoring habitat corridors in fragmented landscapes using optimization and percolation models.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Haight, Robert G.; ReVelle, Charles S. 2004. A scenario optimization model for dynamic reserve site selection.
- Snyder, Stephanie; ReVelle, Charles; Haight, Robert. 2004. One- and two-objective approaches to an area-constrained habitat reserve site selection problem.
- Marianov, Vladimir; Snyder, Stephanie ; ReVelle, Charles. 2004. Trading off species protection and timber production in forests managed for multiple objectives.
- Haight, Robert G.; Revelle, Charles S.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2000. An Integer Optimization Approch To A Probabilistic Reserve Site Selection Problem.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Tyrrell, Lucy E.; Haight, Robert G. 1999. An optimization approach to selecting research natural areas in National Forests.
|Decision Modeling Framework Improves Process for Awarding Firefighting Helicopter Contracts|
Aviation managers desired ways to add more rigor, reliability and transparency to the process. NRS researcher Stephanie Snyder was part of a tea ...
|Landowners Interested in Managing Family Forest Lands for Carbon|
The nation's family forest lands have the potential to be an important contributor to carbon sequestration efforts, but only if their owners are ...
|Study Assesses Public Access to Private Land for Recreation Purposes|
Scientists review opportunities, constraints, and possibilities for relieving recreational pressure on public lands