Paula M. Pijut
Research Plant Physiologist
Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2061
Contact Paula M. Pijut
Paula M. Pijut is a Research Plant Physiologist with the Northern Research Station, Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center (HTIRC) located on the campus of Purdue University, and Adjunct Associate Professor in the Dept. of Forestry and Natural Resources and the Dept. of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture at Purdue University. Paula received her B.S. in Medical Technology from Maryville College of the Sacred Heart, her M.S. in Horticulture from Murray State University, and her Ph.D. in Horticulture from The Ohio State University. Paula has worked for the USDA Forest Service since 1989, and joined the HTIRC in 2001.
The HTIRC is a collaborative regional research, development, and technology transfer effort between industry, university, private, state and federal entities to advance tree improvement of central hardwoods for increased forest productivity in hardwood restoration and reforestation programs. The national mission of the HTIRC is to advance the science of hardwood tree improvement, genomics, physiology, protection, and utilization in the hardwood region of the U.S. by: developing and disseminating knowledge on improving the genetic quality of hardwood tree species and conserving fine hardwood germplasm; developing elite hardwood trees for restoration and regeneration of sustainable hardwood forests and riparian zones for production of forest products and maintenance of genetically diverse ecosystems; increasing knowledge and developing systems for nursery production and plantation establishment; increasing knowledge and developing strategies for protection, utilization, and marketing of the hardwood resource; and developing recognized and respected science leaders in forest genetics, physiology, regeneration, protection, and utilization.
Paula’s research program focuses on plant cell, tissue, and organ culture for tree improvement and production. Her research is applied and fundamental directed toward germplasm improvement to increase resistance or tolerance to biotic or abiotic stressors. Her research interests include the physiological, anatomical, and biochemical bases for defense mechanisms to pathogen infection, development of protocols for in vitro selection, somatic embryogenesis, micropropagation, genetic transformation, clonal propagation, and induction of flowering in forest tree species, with subsequent acclimatization of plant material to the greenhouse and field environments. Current species of interest are black walnut, northern red oak, black cherry, butternut, white oak, and green, white, and black ash. Paula hopes to expand her research program in the near future, to cover species such as elm, chestnut, and beech, by developing collaborative projects with other scientists.
Why This Research is Important
Hardwood trees are economically and ecologically valuable resources in the north-central region of the United States. Hardwood trees are planted for timber production, wildlife habitat, riparian buffers, native woodland restoration, windbreaks, watershed protection, erosion control, and for conservation. Fine hardwood lumber is used for cabinetry, furniture, veneer, paneling, architectural moldings, and flooring. Our research program will improve fine hardwood species for growth rate, form, disease- and pest-resistance, and other wood quality traits.
- The Ohio State University, Ph.D. Horticulture, 1988
- Murray State University, M.S. Horticulture, 1984
- Maryville College of the Sacred Heart, B.S. Medical Technology, 1975
- Walnut Council, Member (2012 - Current)
- Indiana Academy of Science, Member (2009 - Current)
- International Plant Propagators Society, Member (2002 - Current)
- American Society of Plant Biologists, Member (1991 - Current)
- International Association for Plant Biotechnology, Member (1991 - Current)
- Society for In Vitro Biology, Member (1989 - Current)
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, Member (1988 - Current)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member (1992 - 2013)
Featured Publications & Products
- Palla, Kaitlin J.; Pijut, Paula M. 2011. Regeneration of plants from Fraxinus americana hypocotyls and cotyledons.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Woeste, Keith E.; Michler, Charles H. 2011. Promotion of adventitious root formation of difficult-to-root hardwood tree species.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Lawson, Shaneka S.; Michler, Charles H. 2011. Biotechnological efforts for preserving and enhancing temperate hardwood tree biodiversity, health, and productivity.
- Du, Ningxia; Pijut, Paula M. 2010. Isolation and characterization of an AGAMOUS homolog from Fraxinus pennsylvanica.
- Beasley, Rochelle R.; Pijut, Paula M. 2010. Invasive plant species in hardwood tree plantations.
Publications & Products
- Palla, Kaitlin J.; Pijut, Paula M. 2015. Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation of Fraxinus americana hypocotyls.
- Wang, Ying; Pijut, Paula M. 2014. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of black cherry for flowering control and insect resistance.
- Wang, Ying; Pijut, Paula M. 2014. Can Prunus serotina be genetically engineered for reproductive sterility and insect pest resistance?.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2014. Comparison of arabidopsis stomatal density mutants indicates variation in water stress responses and potential epistatic effects.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2014. The cloning and characterization of a poplar stomatal density gene.
- Yu, Xiaoqing; Bai, Guihua; Liu, Shuwei; Luo, Na; Wang, Ying; Richmond, Douglas S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Jackson, Scott A.; Yu, Jianming; Jiang, Yiwei. 2013. Association of candidate genes with drought tolerance traits in diverse perennial ryegrass accessions.
- Palla, Kaitlin J.; Beasley, Rochelle R.; Pijut, Paula M. 2013. In vitro culture and rooting of Diospyros virginiana L..
- Wang, Ying; Pijut, Paula M. 2013. Isolation and characterization of a TERMINAL FLOWER 1 homolog from Prunus serotina Ehrh.
- Beasley, Rochelle R.; Pijut, Paula M. 2013. Regeneration of plants from Fraxinus nigra Marsh. hypocotyls.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2013. Species selection in hardwoods research: variations in baseline physiological responses of select temperate hardwood tree species.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Beasley, Rochelle R.; Lawson, Shaneka S.; Palla, Kaitlin J.; Stevens, Micah E.; Wang, Ying. 2012. In vitro propagation of tropical hardwood tree species A review (2001-2011).
- Stevens, Micah E.; Pijut, Paula M. 2012. Hypocotyl derived in vitro regeneration of pumpkin ash (Fraxinus profunda).
- Liu, Xiaomei; Pijut, Paula. 2010. Agrobacterium-medicated transformation of mature Prunus serotina (black cherry) and regeneration of trangenic shoots.
- Palla, Kaitlin J.; Pijut, Paula M. 2010. Adventitious shoot regeneration and rooting of Fraxinus americana.
- Beasley, Rochelle R.; Pijut, Paula M. 2010. Adventitious shoot regeneration of Fraxinus nigra Marsh.
- Liu, Xiaomei; Anderson, Joseph; Pijut, Paula. 2010. Cloning and characterization of prunus serotina AGAMOUS, a putative flower homeotic gene.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Beasley, Rochelle R.; Palla, Kaitlin J. 2010. Genetic transformation of Fraxinus spp. for resistance to the emerald ash borer.
- Du, Ningxia; Pijut, Paula M. 2009. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Fraxinus pennsylvanica hypocotyls and plant regeneration.
- Vengadesan, G.; Pijut, Paula M. 2009. In vitro propagation of northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.).
- Vengadesan, G.; Pijut, Paula M. 2009. Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration of northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.).
- Woeste, Keith; Pijut, Paula M. 2009. The peril and potential of butternut.
- Barnd, Bradley D.; Pijut, Paula M.; Ginzel, Matthew D. 2008. Insects affecting hardwood tree plantings.
- Liu, Xiaomei; Pijut, Paula M. 2008. Plant regeneration from in vitro leaves of mature black cherry (Prunus serotina).
- Du, Ningxia; Pijut, Paula M. 2008. Regeneration of plants from Fraxinus pennsylvanica hypocotyls and cotyledons.
- Michler, Charles H.; Woeste, Keith E.; Pijut, Paula M. 2007. Black Walnut.
- Morse, Alison M.; Tschaplinski, Timothy J.; Dervinis, Christopher; Pijut, Paula M.; Schmelz, Eric A.; Day, Wendy; Davis, John M. 2007. Salicylate and catechol levels are maintained in nahG transgenic poplar.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Woeste, Keith E.; Vengadesan, G. 2007. Technological advances in temperate hardwood tree improvement including breeding and molecular marker applications.
- Espinosa, Ana Carolina; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2006. Adventitious shoot regeneration and rooting of Prunus serotina in vitro cultures.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2006. Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: diseases in hardwood tree plantings.
- Pijut, P.M.; Espinosa, A.C. 2005. Development of a rooted cutting propagation method for Prunus serotina.
- Michler, C. H.; Meilan, R.; Woeste, K. E.; Pijut, P. M.; Jacobs, D.; Aldrich, P.; Glaubitz, J. 2005. Hardwood genetics and tree improvement - A Midwest USA perspective.
- Michler, C.H.; Pijut, P.M.; Jacobs, D.F.; Meilan, R.; Woeste, K.E.; Ostry, M.E. 2005. Improving disease resistance of butternut (Juglans cinerea), a threatened fine hardwood: a case of single-tree selection through genetic improvement and deployment.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2005. Native hardwood trees of the central hardwood region.
- Wichman, J.; Hawkins, R.; Pijut, P.M. 2005. Straw mulch prevents loss of fall-sown seeds to cold temperatures and wildlife predation.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2004. Acer spicatum.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2004. Comptonia peregrina.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2004. Cornus sericea.
- Michler, C. H.; Pijut, P.M.; Van Sambeek, J.; Coggeshall, M.; Seifert, J.; Woeste, K.; Overton, R.; Ponder, F., Jr., eds. 2004. Black walnut in a new century, proceedings of the 6th Walnut Council research symposium; 2004 July 25-28; Lafayette, IN..
- Pijut, Paula M. 2004. Vegetative propagation of butternut (Juglans cinerea) field results.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2003. Planting and care of fine hardwood seedlings: Planting hardwood seedlings in the Central Hardwood Region..
- Michler, Charles H.; Bosela, Michael J.; Pijut, Paula M.; Woeste, Keith E. 2003. The Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center: its strategic plans for sustaining the hardwood resource.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Moore, Melanie. 2002. Early Season Softwood Cuttings Effective for Vegetative Propagation of Juglans cinerea.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2002. Eastern White Pine Flowering in Response to Spray Application of Gibbrellin A4/7 or ProconeTM.
- Pijut, Paula M. 2000. Cedrus - The True Cedars.
- Ostry, M. E.; Pijut, P. M. 2000. Butternut: An Underused Resource in North America.
- Pijut, P. M. 1997. Micropropagation of Juglans cinerea L. (Butternut).
- Barker, Melanie J.; Pijut, Paula M.; Ostry, Michael E.; Houston, David R. 1997. Micropropagation of juvenile and mature american beech.
- Ostry, M.E.; Pijut, Paula M.; Skilling, D.D. 1991. Screening larch in vitro for resistance to Mycosphaerella laricina.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Lineberger, R. Daniel; Domir, Subhash C.; Ichida, Jann M.; Krause, Charles R. 1990. Ultrastructure of cells of Ulmus americana cultured in vitro and exposed to the culture filtrate of Ceratocystis ulmi.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Domir, Subash C.; Lineberger, R. Daniel; Schreiber, Lawrence R. 1990. Use of culture filtrates of Ceratocystis ulmi as a bioassay to screen for disease tolerant Ulmus americana.
- Lineberger, R. Daniel; Sticklen, M.B.; Pijut, P.M.; Kroggel, Mark A.; Fink, C.V.M.; Domir, S.C. 1990. Use of protoplast, cell, and shoot tip culture in an elm germ plasm improvement program.