Brian J. Palik
Team Leader / Research Ecologist
1831 Hwy 169 East
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Current ResearchMy research has two central themes:
Both of these themes are addressed primarily through use of operational-scale management experiments designed to be statistically robust, realistic, but also novel in terms of the treatments examined, and inclusive of a large number of response variables. Much of this work is accomplished through close collaboration with university and agency researchers from across the region. My particular research foci include questions related to plant biodiversity and community composition, tree regeneration dynamics, and aboveground productivity. I am interested in tradeoffs between productivity (biomass, volume) and sustainability of other ecological characteristics (e.g., native species diversity and habitat). Ultimately, my interest is in developing and evaluating silvicultural and management approaches that sustain ecological complexity in forests managed for wood production.
Why This Research is Important
Understanding forest ecosystem responses to disturbance is key to developing the knowledge and tools needed to sustain ecological and economic objectives in managed ecosystems and landscapes. Many ecologists believe that sustainability is achieved by using natural disturbance and stand development processes as guides for management approaches. The goal is not to mimic nature directly, or even to closely emulate it. Rather the goal is to develop management approaches that reduce disparities between natural and managed systems in structure, composition, and function. While many organizations are attempting to develop natural disturbance and stand development-based management prescriptions, they have little practical experience in doing so, nor are the research findings available to guide their attempts. My work, particularly through use of operational-scale experiments that involve managers, provides this experience and knowledge.
- Michigan State University, Department of Forestry, Ph.D. Forest Ecology., 1992
- Michigan State University, Department of Botany, M.S. Plant Ecology., 1988
- Alma College, B.S. Biology., 1983
- Costa Rica, Organization for Tropical Studies, Additional Study Tropical Ecology, 1987
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Minnesota
- Adjunct Faculty, Iowa State University
- Adjunct Faculty, Michigan Technological University
- Adjunct Faculty, Lakehead University
- Society of American Foresters, Forest Guild
- Minnesota Forest Resources Council
- Society of American Foresters (2009 - 2011)
- Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota
- National Experimental Forest (2003 - 2009)
- Ecology, Canadian Journal of Forest Research, Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Ecology, Peer Reviewer
- American Midland Naturalist, Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Vegetation Science, Peer Reviewer
- Biotropica, Peer Reviewer
- Forest Ecology and Management, Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Forest Research, Peer Reviewer
- Plant Ecology Forest Science, Peer Reviewer
- Conservation Ecology, Peer Reviewer
- Landscape Ecology, Peer Reviewer
- Forest, Snow, and Landscape Research, Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Forestry, Peer Reviewer
- Journal of Biogeography, Peer Reviewer
- Northwest Science, Peer Reviewer
- New Forests, Peer Reviewer
- USDA Competitive Grants, Peer Reviewer
- NSF Competitive Grants, Peer Reviewer
- British Columbia Forest Service Competitive Grants, Peer Review
Featured Publications & Products
- Hanberry, Brice B.; Fraver, Shawn; He, Hong S.; Yang, Jian; Dey, Dan C.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Spatial pattern corrections and sample sizes for forest density estimates of historical tree surveys.
- Janowiak, Maria K.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Nagel, Linda M.; Webster, Christopher R.; Palik, Brian J.; Twery, Mark J.; Bradford, John B.; Parker, Linda R.; Hille, Andrea T.; Johnson, Sheela M. 2011. Silvicultural decisionmaking in an uncertain climate future: a workshop-based exploration of considerations, strategies, and approaches.
- Powers, Matthew D.; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Webster, Christopher R. 2010. Thinning method and intensity influence long-term mortality trends in a red pine forest.
- Shinneman, Douglas J.; Cornett, Meredith W.; Palik, Brian J. 2010. Simulating restoration strategies for a southern boreal forest landscape with complex land ownership patterns.
- Palik, Brian J.; Kastendick, Doug. 2010. Response of seasonal pond plant communities to upland forest harvest in northern Minnesota forests, USA.
Publications & Products
- Stanturf, John A.; Palik, Brian J.; Dumroese, R. Kasten. 2014. Contemporary forest restoration: A review emphasizing function.
- Kern, Christel; Erdmann, Gus; Kenefic, Laura; Palik, Brian; Strong, Terry. 2014. Development of the selection system in northern hardwood forests of the Lake States: an 80-year silviculture research legacy.
- Kurth, Valerie J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B. 2014. Fifteen-year patterns of soil carbon and nitrogen following biomass harvesting.
- Stanturf, John; Palik, Brian J.; Williams, Mary I.; Dumroese, R. Kasten. 2014. Forest restoration paradigms.
- Curzon, Miranda T.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2014. Harvest residue removal and soil compaction impact forest productivity and recovery: Potential implications for bioenergy harvests.
- MacDonald, Rebecca L.; Chen, Han Y.H.; Palik, Brian P.; Prepas, Ellie E. 2014. Influence of harvesting on understory vegetation along a boreal riparian-upland gradient.
- Kastendick, Douglas N.; Palik, Brian J.; Zenner, Eric K.; Kolka, Randy K.; Blinn, Charles R.; Kragthorpe, Joshua J. 2014. Regeneration responses in partially-harvested riparian management zones in northern Minnesota.
- Slesak, Robert A.; Lenhart, Christian F.; Brooks, Kenneth N.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2014. Water table response to harvesting and simulated emerald ash borer mortality in black ash wetlands in Minnesota, USA.
- Berger, Alaina L.; Palik, Brian; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn; Bradford, John B.; Nislow, Keith; King, David; Brooks, Robert T. 2013. Ecological impacts of energy-wood harvests: lessons from whole-tree harvesting and natural disturbance.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian J. 2013. Effects of thinning on drought vulnerability and climate response in north temperate forest ecosystems.
- Aakala, Tuomas; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2013. Influence of competition and age on tree growth in structurally complex old-growth forests in northern Minnesota, USA.
- Silver, Emily J.; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Aakala, Tuomas; Palik, Brian J. 2013. Long-term mortality rates and spatial patterns in an old-growth forest.
- Montgomery, Rebecca A.; Palik, Brian J.; Boyden, Suzanne B.; Reich, Peter B. 2013. New cohort growth and survival in variable retention harvests of a pine ecosystem in Minnesota, USA.
- Zenner, Eric K.; Martin, Michelle A.; Palik, Brian J.; Peck, Jerilynn E.; Blinn, Charles R. 2013. Response of herbaceous plant community diversity and composition to overstorey harvest within riparian management zones in Northern Hardwoods.
- Silver, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B. 2013. Structure and development of old-growth, unmanaged second-growth, and extended rotation Pinus resinosa forests in Minnesota, USA.
- Magruder, Matthew; Chhin, Sophan; Palik, Brian; Bradford, John B. 2013. Thinning increases climatic resilience of red pine.
- Fraver, Shawn; Milo, Amy M.; Bradford, John B.; D’Amato, Anthony W.; Kenefic, Laura; Palik, Brian J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Brissette, John. 2013. Woody debris volume depletion through decay: Implications for biomass and carbon accounting.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Ward, Kathleen T. 2012. Assessment of Black Ash (Fraxinus nigra) Decline in Minnesota. Chapter 12.
- Shinneman, Douglas J.; Palik, Brian J.; Cornett, Meredith W. 2012. Can landscape-level ecological restoration influence fire risk? A spatially-explicit assessment of a northern temperate-southern boreal forest landscape.
- Powers, Matthew D.; Kolka, Randall K.; Bradford, John B.; Palik, Brian J.; Fraver, Shawn; Jurgensen, Martin F. 2012. Carbon stocks across a chronosequence of thinned and unmanaged red pine (Pinus resinosa) stands.
- Hanson, Jacob J.; Lorimer, Craig G.; Halpin, Corey R.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Ecological forestry in an uneven-aged, late-successional forest: Simulated effects of contrasting treatments on structure and yield.
- Kastendick, Douglas N.; Zenner, Eric K.; Palik, Brian J.; Kolka, Randall K.; Blinn, Charles R. 2012. Effects of harvesting on nitrogen and phosphorus availability in riparian management zone soils in Minnesota, USA.
- Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Milo, Amy M.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Effects of multiple interacting disturbances and salvage logging on forest carbon stocks.
- Ponder Jr., Felix; Fleming, Robert L.; Berch, Shannon; Busse, Matt D.; Elioff, John D.; Hazlett, Paul W.; Kabzems, Richard D.; Kranabetter, J. Marty; Morris, David M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Palik, Brian J.; Powers, Robert F.; Sanchez, Felipe G.; Scott, D. Andrew; Stagg, Richard H.; Stone, Douglas M.; Young, David H.; Zhang, Jianwei; Ludovici, Kim H.; McKenney, Daniel W.; Mossa, Debbie S; Sanborn, Paul T.; Voldseth, Richard A. . 2012. Effects of organic matter removal, soil compaction and vegetation control on 10th year biomass and foliar nutrition: LTSP continent-wide comparisons.
- Miesel, Jessica; Goebel, P.; Corace, R.; Hix, David; Kolka, Randall; Palik, Brian; Mladenoff, David. 2012. Fire effects on soils in Lake States forests: A compilation of published research to facilitate long-term investigations.
- Hanberry, Brice B.; Kabrick, John M.; He, Hong S.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Historical trajectories and restoration strategies for the Mississippi River alluvial valley.
- Goebel, P. Charles; Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Influence of flooding and landform properties on riparian plant communities in an old-growth northern hardwood watershed.
- Jurgensen, Martin; Tarpey, Rachel; Pickens, Jim; Kolka, Randy; Palik, Brian. 2012. Long-term effect of silvicultural thinnings on soil carbon and nitrogen pools.
- Ostry, M.E.; Moore, M.J.; Kern, C.C.; Venette, R.C.; Palik, B.J. 2012. Multiple diseases impact survival of pine species planted in red spine stands harvested in spatially variable retention patterns.
- Gronewold, Chris; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Relationships between growth, quality, and stocking within managed old-growth northern hardwoods.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Abdela, Ebrahim. 2012. Tree regeneration in black ash (Fraxinus nigra) stands exhibiting crown dieback in Minnesota.
- Peck, JeriLynn E.; Zenner, Eric K.; Palik, Brian. 2012. Variation in microclimate and early growth of planted pines under dispersed and aggregated overstory retention in mature managed red pine in Minnesota.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Abdela, Ebrahim. 2011. Fraxinus nigra (black ash) dieback in Minnesota: Regional variation and potential contributing factors.
- Kolka, Randall K.; Palik, Brian J.; Tersteeg, Daniel P.; Bell, James C. 2011. Effects of riparian buffers on hydrology of northern seasonal ponds.
- Zhang, Yangjian; He, Hong S.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Yang, Jian; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Evaluating the effects of alternative forest management plans under various physiographic settings using historical records as a reference.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Forest management for mitigation and adaptation: insights from long-term silvicultural experiments.
- Fraver, Shawn; Bradford, John B.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Improving tree age estimates derived from increment cores: a case study of red pine.
- Powers, Matthew; Kolka, Randall; Palik, Brian; McDonald, Rachel; Jurgensen, Martin. 2011. Long-term management impacts on carbon storage in Lake States forests.
- Voldseth, Richard; Palik, Brian J.; Elioff, John. 2011. Ten-year results from the long-term soil productivity study in aspen ecosystems of the northern Great Lakes region.
- Schulte, Lisa A.; Mottl, Erik C.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. The association of two invasive shrubs, common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) and Tartarian honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica), with oak communities in the midwestern United States.
- Fraver, Shawn; Jain, Terrie; Bradford, John B.; D'amato, Anthony W.; Kastendick, Doug; Palik, Brian; Shinneman, Doug; Stanovick, John. 2011. The efficacy of salvage logging in reducing subsequent fire severity in conifer-dominated forests of Minnesota, USA.
- Powers, Matthew D.; Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Palik, Brian J.; Webster, Christopher R. 2011. The physiological basis for regeneration response to variable retention harvest treatments in three pine species.
- Bradford, John B.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Fraver, Shawn. 2010. A new method for evaluating forest thinning: growth dominance in managed Pinus resinosa stands.
- Sharik, Terry L.; Adair, William; Baker, Fred A.; Battaglia, Michael; Comfort, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delong, Craig; DeRose, R. Justin; Ducey, Mark J.; Harmon, Mark; Levy, Louise; Logan, Jesse A.; O'Brien, Joseph; Palik, Brian J.; Roberts, Scott D.; Rogers, Paul C.; Shinneman, Douglas J.; Spies, Thomas; Taylor, Sarah L.; Woodall, Christopher; Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Emerging themes in the ecology and management of North American forests.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Kern, Christel C. 2010. Growth, yield, and structure of extended rotation Pinus resinosa stands in Minnesota, USA.
- Bradford, John B.; Palik, Brian J. 2009. A comparison of thinning methods in red pine: consequences for stand-level growth and tree diameter.
- Ward, Kathleen; Ostry, Michael; Venette, Robert; Palik, Brian; Hansen, Mark; Hatfield, Mark. 2009. Assessment of black ash (Fraxinus nigra) decline in Minnesota.
- Zhang, Yangjian; He, Hong S.; Dijak, William D.; Yang, Jian; Shifley, Stephen R.; Palik, Brian J. 2009. Integration of satellite imagery and forest inventory in mapping dominant and associated species at a regional scale.
- Palik, Brian J.; Kastendick, Doug. 2009. Woody plant regeneration after blowdown, salvage logging, and prescribed fire in a northern Minnesota forest.
- Pederson, Neil; Varner, J. Morgan, III.; Palik, Brian J. 2008. Canopy disturbance and tree recruitment over two centuries in a managed longleaf pine landscape.
- Atwell, Ryan C.; Schulte, Lisa A.; Palik, Brian J. 2008. Songbird response to experimental retention harvesting in red pine (Pinus resinosa) forests.
- Tarpey, Rachel A.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Palik, Brian J.; Kolka, Randy K. 2008. The long-term effects of silvicultural thinning and partial cutting on soil compaction in red pine (Pinus resinosa Ait.) and northern hardwood stands in the northern Great Lakes Region of the United States.
- Pecot, Stephen D.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Palik, Brian J.; Moser, Barry; Hiers, J. Kevin. 2007. Competitive responses of seedlings and understory plants in longleaf pine woodlands: separating canopy influences above and below ground.
- Morris, Arthur E.L.; Goebel, P. Charles; Palik, Brian J. 2007. Geomorphic and riparian forest influences on characteristics of large wood and large-wood jams in old-growth and second-growth forests in Northern Michigan, USA.
- Palik, Brian; Streblow, Dwight; Egeland, Leanne; Buech, Richard. 2007. Landscape variation of seasonal pool plant communities in forests of northern Minnesota, USA.
- Golladay, Stephen W.; Battle, Juliann M.; Palik, Brian J. 2007. Large wood debris recruitment on differing riparian landforms along a Gulf Coastal Plain (USA) stream: a comparison of large floods and average flows.
- Franklin, Jerry F.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Palik, Brian J. 2007. Natural disturbance and stand development principles for ecological forestry.
- Batzer, Darold P.; Palik, Brian J. 2007. Variable response by aquatic invertebrates to experimental manipulations of leaf litter input into seasonal woodland ponds.
- Kramer, Daniel Boyd; Polasky, Stephen; Starfield, Anthony; Palik, Brian; Westphal, Lynn; Snyder, Stephanie; Jakes, Pamela; Hudson, Rachel; Gustafson, Eric. 2006. A Comparison of Alternative Strategies for Cost-Effective Water Quality Management in Lakes.
- Gilmore, Daniel W.; Palik, Brian J. 2006. A revised managers handbook for red pine in the North Central Region.
- Kern, Cristel C.; Palik, Brian J.; Strong, Terry F. 2006. Ground-layer plant community responses to even-age and uneven-age silvicultural treatments in Wisconsin northern hardwood forests.
- Morris, Arthur E. L.; Goebel, P. Charles; Williams, Lance R.; Palik, Brian J. 2006. Influence of landscape geomorphology on large wood jams and salmonids in an old-growth river of Upper Michigan.
- Goebel, P. Charles; Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Palik, Brian J. 2006. Landscape hierarchies influence riparian ground-flora communities in Wisconsin, USA.
- Lugo, Ariel D.; Swanson, Frederick J.; González, Olga Ramos; Adams, Mary Beth; Palik, Brian; Thill, Ronald E.; Brockway, Dale G.; Kern, Christel; Woodsmith, Richard; Musselman, Robert. 2006. Long-term research at the USDA Forest Service's experimental forests and ranges..
- Palik, Brian J.; Batzer, Darold P.; Kern, Christel. 2005. Upland Forest Linkages to Seasonal Wetlands: Litter Flux, Processing, and Food Quality.
- Palik, Brian J.; Kern, Christel C.; Mitchell, Robert; Pecot, Stephen. 2005. Using spatially variable overstory retention to restore structural and compositional complexity in pine ecosystems.
- Palik, Brian; Levy, Louise. 2004. A research agenda for silviculture in the Great Lakes Region.
- Palik, Brian J.; Tang, Swee May; Chavez , Quinn. . 2004. Estimating riparian area extent and land use in the Midwest..
- Kirkman, L. Katherine; Goebel, P. Charles; Palik, Brian J.; West, Larry T. 2004. Predicting plant species diversity in a longleaf pine landscape.
- Palik, Brian; Levy, Louise (ed.). 2004. Proceedings of the Great Lakes silviculture summit.
- Batzer, Darold P.; Palik, Brian J.; Buech, Richard. 2004. Relationships between environmental characteristics and macroinvertebrate communities in seasonal woodland ponds of Minnesota.
- Palik, Brian; Levy, Louise; Crow, Thomas. 2004. The great lakes silviculture summit: an introduction and organizing framework.
- Palik, Brian; Zasada, John. 2003. An Ecological Context for Regenerating Mult-cohort, Mixed-species Red Pine Forests.
- Palik, Brian; Cease, Kory; Egeland, Leanne; Blinn, Charles. 2003. Aspen Regeneration in Riparian ManagementZones in Northern Minnesota: Effects ofResidual Overstory and Harvest Method.
- Goebel, P. Charles; Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Palik, Brain J. 2003. Geomorphic Influences on Large Wood Dam Loadings, Particulate Organic Matter and Dissolved Organic Carbon in an 0ld-Growth Northern Hardwood Watershed.
- Goebel, P. Charles; Palik, Brain J.; Pregitzer, Kurt S. 2003. Plant Diversity Contributions of Riparian Areas in Watersheds of the Northern Lake States, USA.
- Palik, Brian; Mitchell, Robert J.; Pecot, Stephen; Battaglia, Mike; Pu, Mou. 2003. Spatial Distribution of Overstory Retention Influences Resources and Growth of Longleaf Pine Seedlings.
- Palik, Brian J.; Buech, Richard; Egeland, Leanne. 2003. Using an Ecological Land Hierarchy to Predict Seasonal-Wetland Abundance in Upland Forests.
- Palik, Brian J.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Hiers, J. Kevin. 2002. Modeling silviculture after natural disturbance to sustain biodiversity in the longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) ecosystem : balancing complexity and implementation.
- Battaglia, Michael A.; Mou, Pu; Palik, Brian; Mitchell, Robert J. 2002. The effect of spatially variable overstory on the understory light environment of an open-canopied longleaf pine forest.
- Goebel, P. Charles; Palik, Brian J.; Kirkman, L. Katherine; Drew, Mark B.; West, Larry; Pederson, Dee C. 2001. Forest ecosystems of a Lower Gulf Coastal Plainlandscape: multifactor classification and analysis.
- Palik, Brian J.; Batzer, Darold P.; Buech, Richard; Nichols, Dale; Cease, Kory; Egeland, Leanne M.; Streblow, Dwight E. 2001. Seasonal Pond Characteristics Across A Chronosequence Of djacent Forest Ages In Northern Minnesota, USA.
- Kirkman, Katherine L.; Goebel, Charles P.; West, Larry; Drew, Mark B.; Palik, Brian. 2000. Depressional wetland vegetation types: a question of plant commmunity development.
- Palik, Brian J.; Goebel, Charles P.; Kirkman, Katherine L.; West, Larry. 2000. Using Landscape Hierarchies To Guide Restoration Of Disturbed Ecosystems.
- Hainds, Mark J.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Palik, Brian J.; Boring, Lindsay R.; Gjerstad, Dean H. 1999. Distribution of native Legumes (Leguminoseae) in frequently burned longleaf pine (Pinaceae)-Wiregrass (Poaceae) ecosystems.
- Palik, Brian J.; Robl, James. 1999. Structural legacies of catastrophic windstorm in a mature Great Lakes aspen forest..
- Palik, Brain J.; Michener, William K.; Mitchell, Robert J.; Jones, Joseph W. 1999. The effect of landform and plant size on mortallity and recovery of longleaf pine during a 100-year loog1.
- Palik, Brian J.; Golladay, Stephen W.; Goebel, P. Charles; Taylor, Brad W. 1998. Geomorphic variation in riparian tree mortality and stream coarse woody debris recruitment from record flooding in a coastal plain stream.
- Golladay, Stephen W.; Taylor, Brad W.; Palik, Brian J. 1997. Invertebrate Communities of Forested Limesink Wetlands in Southwest Georgia, USA: Habitat Use and Influence of Extended Inundation.
- Palik, Brian J.; Pederson, Neil. 1996. Overstory mortality and canopy disturbances in longleaf pine ecosystems.
- Palik, Brain J.; Pregitzer, Kurt S. 1995. Variability in early height growth rate of forest trees: implications for retrospective studies of stand dynamics.
- Palik, Brain J.; Pregitzer, Kurt S. 1993. The repeatability of stem exclusion during even-aged development of bigtooth aspen dominated forests.
- Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Palik, Brain J. 1993. The vertical development of early successional forests in northern Michigan, USA.
|Diversity is Key to Restoring Resilience of Iconic Great Lakes Pine Forests|
Mixed-pine forests of the western Great Lakes region contain fewer tree species and fewer age classes than their historical equivalents. Forest ...
|Ecosystem Impacts of Wood Harvests For Biofuel|
Current interest in harvesting typically non-merchantable material for biofuel warrants a closer look at the ecosystem impacts of intensive harv ...
|The Future of Ash Forests in Minnesota|
Ash forests of the Great Lakes region are vulnerable to emerald ash borer (EAB) and climate change. Forest Service scientists are successfully e ...