Michael E. Ostry
Research Plant Pathologist
1561 Lindig Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Contact Michael E. Ostry
How forests are managed and what purposes/uses they are managed for can inadvertently result in conditions more conducive to the development of damaging diseases than under previous management systems. Many forests in the Midwest are undergoing natural successional changes as well as silvicultural changes that influence populations of pathogens. We are researching these interactions and developing new management guides to minimize the incidence and severity of disease. Exotic pathogens causing white pine blister rust and butternut canker continue to have serious impacts on their hosts, and we are working to develop management, conservation, and restoration guides to manage these ecologically important forest tree species
We are beginning to use GIS tools in developing and studying local and regional models to explain and minimize disease outbreaks in native forest ecosystems and plantations.
We have limited knowledge on the distribution of many endemic fungal species and a poor understanding of their ecological role and importance in forest systems. These organisms and their interactions with other biotic organisms and abiotic factors need to be studied either to maintain their functions or prevent their undesirable effects.
Why This Research is Important
Native fungi and diseases are natural components of healthy forests that have many beneficial roles, however, under certain conditions periodic disease outbreaks can interfere with management objectives. Exotic pathogens have had profound effects on forest ecosystems and methods for the conservation and restoration of tree species impacted are needed.
- University of Minnesota, Ph.D. Forestry,
- University of Minnesota, MS Plant Pathology,
- University of Minnesota, BS Forestry,
- Society of American Foresters
- American Phytopathological Society
- IUFRO, International Poplar Commission
Featured Publications & Products
- McKenna, J.R.; Ostry, M.E.; Woeste, K. 2011. Screening butternut and butternut hybrids for resistance to butternut canker.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Anderson, Neil A.; O'Brien, Joesph G. 2011. Field guide to common macrofungi in eastern forests and their ecosystem functions.
- Ostry, M.E.; Laflamme, G.; Katovich, S.A. 2010. Silvicultural approaches for management of eastern white pine to minimize impacts of damaging agents.
- Farlee, Lenny; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. 2010. Identification of butternuts and butternut hybrids.
- Farlee, Lenny; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. Conservation and management of butternut trees. 2010. Conservation and management of butternut trees.
Publications & Products
- Parks, Amanda; Jenkins, Michael; Ostry, Michael; Zhao, Peng; Woeste, Keith. 2014. Biotic and abiotic factors affecting the genetic structure and diversity of butternut in the southern Appalachian Mountains, USA.
- Parks, Amanda M.; Jenkins, Michael A.; Woeste, Keith E.; Ostry, Michael E. 2013. Conservation status of a threatened tree species: establishing a baseline for restoration of Juglans cinerea L.
- Ostry, Michael E. 2013. Hypoxylon canker.
- Ostry, M.E.; Moore, M. 2013. Inhibition of Ophiognomonia clavigignenti-juglandacearum by Juglans species bark extracts.
- Haugen, Linda M.; Ostry, Michael E. 2013. Long-term impact of shoot blight disease on red pine saplings.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Ward, Kathleen T. 2012. Assessment of Black Ash (Fraxinus nigra) Decline in Minnesota. Chapter 12.
- McKenna, James; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael. 2012. Breeding resistance to butternut canker disease.
- Ostry, M.E.; Moore, M.J.; Kern, C.C.; Venette, R.C.; Palik, B.J. 2012. Multiple diseases impact survival of pine species planted in red spine stands harvested in spatially variable retention patterns.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Abdela, Ebrahim. 2012. Tree regeneration in black ash (Fraxinus nigra) stands exhibiting crown dieback in Minnesota.
- Palik, Brian J.; Ostry, Michael E.; Venette, Robert C.; Abdela, Ebrahim. 2011. Fraxinus nigra (black ash) dieback in Minnesota: Regional variation and potential contributing factors.
- Ostry, M.E.; Venette, R.C.; Juzwik, J. 2011. Decline as a disease category: Is it helpful?.
- Woeste, Keith; Farlee, Lenny; Ostry, Michael; McKenna, James; Weeks, Sally. 2009. A forest manager's guide to butternut.
- Ward, Kathleen; Ostry, Michael; Venette, Robert; Palik, Brian; Hansen, Mark; Hatfield, Mark. 2009. Assessment of black ash (Fraxinus nigra) decline in Minnesota.
- Ostry, M. E.; Laflamme, G. 2009. Fungi and diseases - natural components of healthy forests.
- Ross-Davis, Amy; Huang, Zhonglian; McKenna, James; Ostry, Michael; Woeste, Keith. 2008. Morphological and molecular methods to identify butternut (Juglans cinerea) and butternut hybrids: relevance to butternut conservation.
- Venette, Robert C.; Ostry, Michael E.; Ward, Kathleen M. 2008. Regional site-selection models for hybrid poplars.
- Ostry, M.E.; Moore, M. 2008. Response of butternut selections to inoculation with Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum.
- Ostry, M. E.; Moore, M. 2007. Natural and experimental host range of Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum.
- Seeland, T.M.; Ostry, M.E.; Venette, R.; Juzwik, J. 2006. An annotated bibliography of invasive tree pathogens Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum, Phytophthora alni, and Phytophthora quercina and a regulatory policy and management practices for invasive species.
- Gilmore, Daniel W.; Glenn, Jennifer D.; Ostry, Michael E.; Zasada, John C.; Benedict, Michael A. 2006. Commercial thinning in small-diameter aspen stands in northern Minnesota: study establishment report.
- Westphal, Lynne M.; Ostry, Michael E. 2006. Decisions at the water's edge: sustaining riparian landscapes in the midwest.
- Michler, C.H.; Pijut, P.M.; Jacobs, D.F.; Meilan, R.; Woeste, K.E.; Ostry, M.E. 2005. Improving disease resistance of butternut (Juglans cinerea), a threatened fine hardwood: a case of single-tree selection through genetic improvement and deployment.
- Ward, K.T.; Ostry, M.E. 2005. Variation in Septoria musiva and Implications for Disease Resistance Screening.
- Mielke, Manfred E.; Ostry, Michael E. 2004. Diseases of intensively managed eastern black walnut.
- Ostry, M.E.; Anderson, N.A.; Rugg, D.J.; Ward, K.T. 2004. Long-term response of precommercially thinned aspen clones to Hypoxylon canker..
- Kasanen, Risto; Hantula, Jarkko; Ostry, Michael; Pinon, Jean; Kurkela, Timo. 2004. North American populations of Entoleuca mammata are genetically more variable than populations in Europe.
- Ostry, M. E.; Woeste, K. 2004. Spread of butternut canker in North America, host range, evidence of resistance within butternut populations and conservation genetics.
- Gyenis, Laszlo; Anderson, Neil A.; Ostry, Michael E. 2003. Biological Control of Septoria Leaf Spot Disease of Hybrid Poplar in the Field.
- Ostry, M.E.; Moore, M.J.; Worrall, S.A.N. 2003. Butternut (Juglans cinerea) annotated bibliography..
- Nicholls, Thomas; Ostry, Mike. 2003. Dead Trees Bring Life to Forest Critters.
- Ostry, M. E.; Ward, K. T. 2003. Field performance of Populus expressing somaclonal variation in resistance to Septoria musiva.
- Van Sambeek, J. W.; Ostry, Michael E.; Zaczek, James J. 2003. Survival and growth of deep-planted, in-leaf grafts in a germplasm repository of canker-resistant butternut.
- Ostry, M. E.; Ellingson, B.; Seekins, D.; Ruckheim, W. 2003. The need for silvicultural practices and collection of butternut germplasm for species conservation.
- Smith, Jason A.; Blanchette, R. A.; Ostry, M. E.; Anderson, N. A. 2002. Etiology of bronze leaf disease of Populus.
- Netzer, D.A.; Tolsted, D.N.; Ostry, M. E.; Isebrands, J. G.; Riemenschneider, D.E.; Ward, K.T. 2002. Growth, yield, and disease resistance of 7- to 12-year-old poplar clones in the north central United States..
- Ostry, M. E.; Pijut, P. M. 2000. Butternut: An Underused Resource in North America.
- Ostry, Michael E. 2000. Progress in developing disease control strategies for hybrid poplars.
- Ostry, Michael E. 2000. Restoring of white pine in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
- Furnier, Glenn R.; Stoiz, Allison M.; Mustaphi, Raka M.; Ostry, Michael E. 1999. Genetic evidence that butternut canker was recently introduced into North America.
- Bucciarelli, B.; Ostry, Michael E.; Fulcher, R. G.; Anderson, N. A.; Vance, C. P. 1999. Histochemical and microspectrophotometric analyses of early wound responses of resistant and susceptible Populus tremuloides inoculated with Entoleuca mammata (=Hypoxylon mammatum).
- Enebak, S. A.; Ostry, Michael E.; Anderson, N. A. 1999. Inoculation methods for Populus tremuloides resistant to Hypoxylon canker.
- Jones, Alan C.; Ostry, Michael E. 1998. Estimating white trunk rot in aspen stands.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Anderson, Neil A. 1998. Interactions of insects, woodpeckers, and hypoxylon canker on aspen..
- Barker, Melanie J.; Pijut, Paula M.; Ostry, Michael E.; Houston, David R. 1997. Micropropagation of juvenile and mature american beech.
- Ostry, M.E.; Mielke, M.E.; Anderson, R.L. 1996. HOW to Identify Butternut Canker and Manage Butternut Trees.
- Ostry, M.E.; Mielke, M.E.; Skilling, D.D. 1994. Butternut--Strategies for managing a threatened tree..
- Hansen, Edward A.; Ostry, Michael E.; Johnson, Wendell D.; Tolsted, David N.; Netzer, Daniel A.; Berguson, William E.; Hall, Richard B. 1994. Field performance of Populus in short-rotation intensive culture plantations in the north-central U.S..
- Ostry, Michael E.; Hackett, Ronald L.; Michler, Charles H.; Serres, R.; McCown, B. 1994. Influence of regeneration method and tissue source on the frequency of somatic variation in Populus to infection by Septoria musiva.
- Alban, David H.; Perala, Donald A.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Ostry, Michael E.; Probst, John R. 1991. Aspen ecosystem properties in the Upper Great Lakes..
- Ostry, M.E.; Ward, K.T. 1991. Bibliography of Populus cell and tissue culture..
- Ostry, M.E.; Pijut, Paula M.; Skilling, D.D. 1991. Screening larch in vitro for resistance to Mycosphaerella laricina.
- Ostry, M.E.; Nicholls, T.H.; Skilling, D.D. 1990. Biology and control of Sirococcus shoot blight on red pine,.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Wilson, Louis F.; McNabb, Harold S. Jr. 1989. Impact and control of Septoria musiva on hybrid poplars..
- Ostry, M.E.; Skilling, D. D. 1987. Somaclonal variation in hybrid poplars for resistance to Septoria leaf spot.
- Ostry, Michael E.; McNabb, Harold S. Jr. 1986. Populus species and hybrid clones resistant to Melampsora, Marssonina, and Septoria..
- Stack, Robert W.; Ostry, Michael E.; Littlefield, Larry J. 1984. A Convenient Holder for Mailing and Storing Leaf Specimens.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Nicholls, Thomas H.; French, D.W. 1983. Animal vectors of eastern dwarf mistletoe of black spruce..
- Ostry, M. E.; McNabb, H. S. 1983. Diseases of intensively cultured hybrid poplars: a summary of recent research in the north central region.
- Hansen, Edward; Moore, Lincoln; Netzer, Daniel; Ostry, Michael; Phipps, Howard; Zavitkovski, Jaroslav. 1983. Establishing intensively cultured hybrid poplar plantations for fuel and fiber..
- Ostry, Michael E.; Walters, James W. 1983. HOW to Identify and Minimize White Trunk Rot of Aspen.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Nicholls, Thomas H. 1982. A Technique for Trapping Fungal Spores.
- Nichols, Thomas H.; Ostry, Michael E.; Fuller, Mark R. 1981. Marking Ground Targets With Radio Transmitters Dropped From Aircraft.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Nicholls, Thomas H. 1976. HOW to Identify and Control Sapsucker Injury on Trees.
- Anderson, Neil A.; Ostry, Michael E.; Anderson, Gerald W. 1976. Hypoxylon Canker of Aspen Associated With Saperda inornata Galls.
|Bronze Leaf Disease Poses a Threat to Aspen Breeding|
Bronze leaf of hybrid aspen is a systemic disease that results in a characteristic dark purple to brown pigmentation of infected aspen leaves in ...