Cassandra L. Olson
1992 Folwell Ave
Contact Cassandra L. Olson
I conduct remote sensing (called prefield within our unit) to determine land uses for FIA plots. A plot that is determined to be forested (1 acre or more of continuous forest land) gets sent to the field foresters for ground measurements. This information is loaded into the FIA database once it is edited and is ready for use by our scientists and/or public and private users.
I have also recently undertaken the task of helping with prefield set-up of Urban studies. Thus far, our unit has completed studies of Wisconsin for all urban areas in all counties and Philadelphia and New Castle counties in Pennsylvania. In 2014, a study of the Baltimore, Maryland urban area will be conducted.
Invasive species' effects on forests and forest edge habitats.
In the past, I have acted as one of the coordinators for the Northern Research Station's P3 (formerly Forest Health Monitoring) Vegetation Indicator. I conducted training for field crews, did data collection where needed, and performed Quality Assurance checks in the field. I have also filled a similar role in FIA's invasive species' data collection efforts.
Why This Research is Important
As part of the data collection side of the FIA unit, I take responsibility for ensuring plot information sent to our field foresters is accurate so plots can be found easily and data collected in a timely manner.
Collecting quality data in our forests, whether it be tree data, vegetation data, or invasive vegetation data is important in ensuring accurate and consistent monitoring. I believe my efforts at the front end of FIA are crucial to quality data collection.
- University Of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Natural Resources and Environmental Studies , 1998
- North Hennepin Community College., Liberal Arts , 1996
Featured Publications & Products
- Olson, Cassandra; Cholewa, Anita F. 2009. A Guide To Nonnative Invasive Plants Inventoried In The North By Forest Inventory And Analysis.
- Moser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H.; Treiman, Thomas B.; Leatherberry, Earl C.; Jepsen, Ed; Olson, Cassandra L.; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ronald J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Brand, Gary J. 2007. Missouri'S Forests 1999-2003 (Part A).
- Miles, Patrick D.; Jacobson, Keith; Brand , Gary J.; Jepsen, Ed; Meneguzzo, Dacia; Mielke, Manfred E.; Olson, Cassandra; Perry, Charles H. (Hobie); Piva, Ronald J.; Wilson, Barry Tyler; Woodall, Christopher. 2007. Minnesota'S Forests 1999-2003 (Part A).