Paula E. Marquardt
Research Plant Geneticist
5985 Highway K
Contact Paula E. Marquardt
- Identify the environmental variables that limit woody plant growth and restrict gene flow.
- Survey pine gene frequencies to estimate genetic diversity and distinguish species and their hybrids.
- Detect patterns of animal movement in forest communities using gene frequencies and chemical elements.
Preliminary characterization of little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus) immune MHC II DRB alleles using semi-conductor sequencing. Palmer, J. A., Berkman, L. K., Marquardt, P. E., Donner, D. M., Jusino, M. A., Lindner, D. L. PeerJ. In review.
Spatial analysis of genetic pattern in eastern coyotes (Canis latrans): evidence of a persistent contact zone between colonizing fronts in New York State. Berkman, L. K., Frair, J. L., Marquardt, P. E., Donner, D. M., Kilgo, J. C. and Whipps, C. M. Ecology and Evolution. In review.
Donner, D., Marquardt, P., and Brown, D. (2016) Landscape genetics and wood turtles. 76th Midwest Fish and Wildlife Conference, January 24-27. Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Marquardt, Paula (2015) Voices from STEM Fields on Disciplinary Literacy – What do practicing STEM professionals say about use of communication and other literacy skills in their work? Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Audio Interview. June 2 (posted May 25, 2016).
Marquardt, P., Donner, D., Berkman, L., and Brown, D. (2014) Landscape genetics of plant and animal populations. 3rd Science in the Northwood’s Conference, October 15-17, Boulder Junction, WI.
Berkman, L., Donner, D., Marquardt, P., Frair, J., Lindner, D., Prom, B. (2014) Revealing novel links among genotypes, White-Nose Syndrome, microbiome, and spatial variables in the northern forests. 3rd Science in the Northwood’s Conference, October 15-17, Boulder Junction, WI.
Berkman, Leah, Palmer, Jonathan, Lindner, Daniel, Marquardt, Paula, Donner, Deahn, and Frair, Jacqueline (2014) Characterizing MHC diversity pertinent to disease resistance with application to bats with white-nose syndrome. National conference of the Wildlife Society, Oct 25-30, Pittsburg, PA (poster).
Donner, Deahn, Berkman, Leah, Marquardt, Paula, Frair, Jacqueline, and Lindner, Daniel (2014) Resistance to White-Nose Syndrome in bat populations of the Northern forest: Exploring the critical disease-genotype-microbiome link. White-Nose Syndrome Workshop, St. Louis, MO, September 9-12 (invited poster).
Thurston, Ginger, Marquardt, Paula, and Telewski, Frank (2014) The response of ponderosa pines Piinus arizonica and Taxon X to environmental stressors. University Undergraduate Research and Arts Forum, Michigan State University, April 10 (poster).
Smith, Joshua, Marquardt, Paula, Cronn, Richard, Telewski, Frank W., Jennings, Tara, and Willyard, Ann (2013) Nuclear simple sequence repeats for ponderosa pine. Annual meeting of the Botanical Society of America, New Orleans July 27-31 (poster).
Marquardt, Paula E., Lund, Joanne N., and Mattson, William, J (2011) You are what you eat: stable isotopes and plant-herbivore interactions under elevated carbon dioxide and ozone. Annual meeting of the American Society of Plant Biologists, Minneapolis, MN, August 6-10 (poster).
- Climate influences on the growth and distribution of woody plants.
- Movement of plant and animal species.
- Restoration or improvement of seasonal habitat areas.
Why This Research is Important
- Develop science and tools to manage ecologically important tree populations.
- Conserve threatened and endangered animal populations.
- Sustainably manage forests to help ensure healthy future generations of all organisms.
- Michigan State University, Phd Candidate Plant Biology 2016
- Michigan State University, M.S. Forestry 2002
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, B.S. Microbiology 1986
Awards & Recognition
- USFS Wings Across the America’s: Research Partnership Award, 2016
Award honors outstanding collaborative work in the conservation of bats. The study is titled, "An Integrated, Multi-Scale Landscape Approach for Studying the Secondary Effects of White-nose Syndrome in Bats of the Upper Midwest".
Featured Publications & Products
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subhash; Marquardt, Paula; Nelson, Neil; Kubiske, Mark. 2010. Effects Of Long-Term (10 Years) Exposure To Elevated Co2 And O3 On Trembling Aspen Carbon And Nitrogen Metabolism At The Aspen Face (Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment) Study Site.
- Lund, Joanne; Marquardt, Paula; Mattson, William Jr. 2010. Analyzing The Movement Of An Invasive Weevil (Polydrusus Sericeus) Using Stable Isotopes.
- Marquardt, Paula E.; Echt, Craig S.; Epperson, Bryan K.; Pubanz, Dan M. 2007. Genetic Structure, Diversity, And Inbreeding Of Eastern White Pine Under Different Management Conditions.
- Kubiske, M. E.; Quinn, V. S.; Marquardt, P. E.; Karnosky, D. F. 2007. Effects Of Elevated Atmospheric Co2 And/Or O3 On Intra- And Interspecific Competitive Ability Of Aspen.
- Kubiske, Mark E.; Quinn, Vanessa A.; Heilman, Warren E.; McDonald, Evan P.; Marquardt, Paula E.; Teclaw, Ron M.; Friend, Alexander L.; Karnosky, David F. 2006. Interannual Climatic Variation Mediates Elevated Co2 And O3 Effects On Forest Growth.
- Marquardt, Paula E.; Epperson, Bryan K. 2004. Spatial And Population Genetic Structure Of Microsatellites In White Pine.
- Minocha, R.; Long, S.; Minocha, S.; Marquardt, P; Kubiske, M. 2010. Effects Of Long-Term (10 Years) Exposure To Elevated Co2 And O3 On Trembling Aspen Carbon And Nitrogen Metabolism At The Aspen Face (Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment) Study Site Abstract.
- Echt, C.S.; Vendramin, G.G.; Nelson, C. D.; Marquardt, Paula E. 1999. Microsatellite Dna As Shared Genetic Markers Among Conifer Species.
- Echt, Craig S.; Vendramin, G.G.; Nelson, C.D.; Marquardt, P. 1999. Microsatellite Dna As Shared Genetic Markers Among Conifer Species.
- Echt, C. S.; May-Marquardt, P. 1997. Survey Of Microsatellite Dna In Pine.
- Echt, C. S.; May-Marquardt, P.; Hseih, M.; Zahorchak, R. 1996. Characterization Of Microsatellite Markers In Eastern White Pine.
- Donahue, Raymond A.; Davis, Tim D.; Michler, Charles H.; Riemenschneider, Don E.; Carter, Doug R.; Marquardt, Paula E.; Sankhla , Daksha; Sankhla , Narendra; Haissig, Bruce E.; Isebrands, J. G. . 1994. Growth, Photosynthesis, And Herbicide Tolerance Of Genetically Modified Hybrid Poplar.