Cherie Leblanc Fisher
1033 University Place, Suite 360
Evanston, IL 60201-3172
Phone: 847-866-9311 x12
Contact Cherie Leblanc Fisher
Current ResearchI have diverse interests and this is reflected in the range of projects that I work on. For one current project, we are learning about and mapping environmental stewardship activity in the Chicago region. For another, I am working with three other Forest Service scientists to analyze survey data on the career pathways and work experiences of almost 100 Northern Research Station scientists. On an ongoing basis, I am helping to monitor trees planted at a marsh site in the Calumet region. I will also be editing papers for two conference proceedings, one on outdoor recreation research and one related to people and wildfire.
Other ongoing projects and tasks include writing updates about our scientists' research for the People and Their Environments unit website and assisting with paperwork and reports for research projects that we fund. I also continue to work with people from other organizations and government agencies on projects and planning efforts for improving the economy and preserving the ecology of the heavily industrialized Calumet area.
Why This Research is Important
Natural areas in cities may not qualify as perfect, pristine Nature but even small patches of park or prairie or water can be enormously important to urban people and urban wildlife. This is especially true in places like Calumet where industry has historically dominated people's lives and the natural environment. I am pleased to be able to contribute to research that deepens our understanding of how people and natural areas affect each other, especially in urban areas.
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, M.E.M. (Master of Environmental Management) Urban Ecology concentration,
- Mount Holyoke College, B.A. Politics & Women's Studies,
Featured Publications & Products
- Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Nowak, David. 2010. UFORE (i-Tree Eco) Analysis of Chicago.
- Watts, Clifton E.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc. 2010. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium.
- Klenosky, David B.; Vogt, Christine A.; Schroeder, Herbert W.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc. 2010. Place visitation, place avoidance, and attitudinal ambivalence: new concepts for place research in urban recreation settings.
- Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Westphal, Lynne M.; Longoni, Mario. 2010. Fish consumption risk perception among anglers in an industrial urban area.
- Nowak, David J.; Hoehn, Robert E. III; Crane, Daniel E.; Stevens, Jack C.; Fisher, Cherie Leblanc. 2010. Assessing urban forest effects and values, Chicago's urban forest.
Publications & Products
- Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Watts, Clifton E., Jr., eds. 2012. Proceedings of the 2010 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium.
- McCaffrey, Sarah M.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. 2011. Abstracts of proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire.
- McCaffrey, Sarah M.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. 2011. Proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire.
- Klenosky, David B.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; eds., . 2009. Proceedings of the 2008 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium.
- Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc; Wiese, Adam H. 2009. The crush and spray: a patented design for herbicide application with less waste.
- Westphal, Lynne M.; Longoni, Mario; LeBlanc, Cherie L.; Wali, Alaka. 2008. Anglers' appraisals of the risks of eating sport-caught fish from industrial areas: lessons from Chicago's Calumet region.
- Klenosky, David; LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine; Schroeder, Herbert. 2008. Factors that attract and repel visitation to urban recreation sites: a framework for research.
- LeBlanc, Cherie; Vogt, Christine, comps. 2008. Proceedings of the 2007 northeastern recreation research symposium.
- Dwyer, John F.; Klenosky, David B.; LeBlanc, Cherie L. 2005. Explaining Patterns of Choice Among Outdoor Recreation Sites in Metropolitan Areas.