Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general public through architects and design engineers who use wood in highly engineered structures. It is the most widely used document produced by FPL-over 16,000 downloads of all or parts of it are secured weekly. This special Centennial Edition builds upon previous editions, with several important additions:
- A chapter was added about the importance of wood as an environmentally responsible, sustainable material
- Micrograph cross sections of hundreds of commercial wood species have been added;
- Reference to the most recent research on the properties of the wood cell wall at the nanoscale has been included
- Important updates on wood preservation practices have been included
- To address the need to find uses for wood obtained from trees killed by invasive insect species, a chapter has been added on heat-treating and sterilization procedures for wood products.